Hello from Los Angeles

a3plew

Hello from Los Angeles

#1 Post by a3plew »

My name is William and I love bass. ^_^ I'm 23 and have been into audio and since about 6th grade. A family friend also gave me a taste of insane car spl. haha a few 15's in a ghetto oldsmobile was amazing. The pressure from the bass made music better. I remember researching speakers and trying to get a idea of how much lunch money I had to save. I discovered svs and other internet direct subwoofer companies. I fantasized about buying any of the cylinder shaped subs. I realized my parents would never purchase such expensive subwoofers. I ended up with cheap circuit city speakers and wanted more. :mrgreen: Eventually I was out of high school and able to work alot of hours and overtime. I purchasde some Hsu Speakers as I could just drive there and pick up my first proper speaker. I bought a hsu vtf3-mk3 and a few months later I got a mbm-12. I got a taste of quality and some infrasonics. :hyper: It was a rush but I always wanted more. Ive always spend hours lurking in forums reading. Between xda,avs ,and now Bill's great forum I have spent hours reading about things that interested me. I've wanted to diy since 8th grade but was to scared to ask anyone for help. Now I have a chance and access to some tools and help from my girlfriend's father. I have bought the plans for a tht low profile and also the sla plans. I plan to start the tht lp project soon. So I have no wood working experience but I have the desire to build one of these monsters. I have the chance and im taking it. hopefully with help from the forums members. Im trying to figure out a driver, and the supplies needed to build this beast. sorry for the long intro.

88h88

Re: Hello from Los Angeles

#2 Post by 88h88 »

THT? Ha, you're in for a treat matey... BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Gregory East

#3 Post by Gregory East »

It's going in a panel van? :shock:
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

a3plew

#4 Post by a3plew »

Didn't think anyone would have responded haha. I got two responses before I went to bed. :hyper: I got up early and wanted to post my parts list so far. Been checking out speakerhardware and saw http://www.speakerhardware.com/tuba_hom ... t-Ktht.php It seems nice since it comes with the glue and other scews and stuff but the driver is about 100 dollars more then the dayton. I was wondering how big of a difference there is from the lab 12 and the dayton I have listed below. Also I noticed that speakerhardware has durtax by the pint. What stuff should I be adding. thank you in advance. :hyper: I can't wait to just start buying stuff and building this beast!
Parts express
Speaker gasketing tape 1/8” x ½” x 50 ft. roll -1
Part number 260-542
Bash 300 w digital subwoofer amp -1
Part number 300-750
Dayton Audio Rss390hf-4 15” Reference Hf 4 ohm- 1
Part number 295-468

Lowes
15/32" 4X8 ARAUCO PLYWOOD ACX -3
Item #: 170770 | Model #:LBR-170770
LOCTITE PL 10.2 Oz. Premium Polyurethane Tan Construction Adhesive -3
Item #: 100575 | Model #:1335944

bassmonster

#5 Post by bassmonster »

a3plew wrote:What stuff should I be adding.
More PL? I used 5 tubes on my first build. I'm using less and less of it as I build more.

LelandCrooks

#6 Post by LelandCrooks »

2 tubes should :shock: be more than enough for a tuba or titan.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

LelandCrooks wrote:2 tubes should :shock: be more than enough for a tuba or titan.
With 5 tubes, you don't even need the wood....just a mold.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, William! Obviously you've been doing some reading. You're gonna' have an awesome stereo in your house.
TomS

a3plew

#9 Post by a3plew »

I know 2 tubes of pl should be more then enough but I think I will probably be like bassmonster. I want to have 24.5 finished width, as the plans state this is a good compromise. I want to build a jig to begin the project soon. how much wood should I buy. haha I was trying to find jig build thread. :noob: I will be a complete wood and power tool newb. I hope I can can get most things I need from the new lowes that opened up by my house.(It's really big and they had to add croswalks and traffic signals on the street just for this store. :shock: ) I'm trying not to spend too much, but want to know if my parts list from the previous post are good. I have so many other questions but ill continue to read and learn more in the meantime.

a3plew

#10 Post by a3plew »

bassmonster wrote:
a3plew wrote:What stuff should I be adding.
More PL? I used 5 tubes on my first build. I'm using less and less of it as I build more.
I figured I will probally be like you. haha I read your entire build thread in the past. I read some of the post's from your thread to my girlfriend. I showed her pictures and what you did with those 8" drivers. haha. I also told her about your house and car reactions to the power of your beast. she is scared now since the tht will be like 72" tall.

bassmonster

#11 Post by bassmonster »

The size of Bill's subs doesn't really hit you until you're near the end of the build, as you attach the last couple of panels, each time you look at it you're like "Gee, that thing is big!"

a3plew

#12 Post by a3plew »

bassmonster wrote:The size of Bill's subs doesn't really hit you until you're near the end of the build, as you attach the last couple of panels, each time you look at it you're like "Gee, that thing is big!"
:hyper: I love it hehe. I did measurements and it's slightly bigger then this small book shelf I have. Showing people with a tape measure how big my subwoofer will be gets me confused and scared stares. I think I'm going to buy wood tonight after I take my girlfriend to a art gallery. haha Any one with night time builds outdoors? Tonight I will try my best to get the wood and begin drawing my cuts. This will be built at my girlfriends parents house as they have all the tools I need and the father will provide some help. They don't have a garage though. But they have a bunch of storage things. They are big and should fit everything. But I will have to do all my work in a backyard. I think I will be working mostly in the evenings.

a3plew

#13 Post by a3plew »

Small storage sheds to be exact.

fitzwaddle

#14 Post by fitzwaddle »

Welcome neighbor!

You'll also need a box of screws or a brad nailer to attach the panels, binding posts, driver mounting kit (screws and T nuts), some 5 minute epoxy, something to fill screw holes (bondo), primer and paint.

Not sure what's available in the shop you'll be using, but you'll need some bar or pipe clamps, a belt or orbital sander, drill with countersink bit and screwdriver bit (if using screws), and optionally also a router with roundover bit.

Viva la 6' long subwoofer!

bassmonster

#15 Post by bassmonster »

Screwing in the panels (countersinking on the panels that would show when the sub was finished) is the way I did it. You don't need to use many clamps, and each panel keeps the other square against it, and you can do many panels in one day rather than only using clamps and having to wait for the PL to dry to take clamps off.

You think measuring tape showing the size is scary? Wait till you have a few panels to go and wonder how you're going to get it home... :mrgreen: