Hello. I'm Dave.

dave_clancey

Hello. I'm Dave.

#1 Post by dave_clancey »

Hi guys. 'Like to build up some slim T30 with the Lab12 for a start. Probably just go for 4 of them at 16" right away and see what becomes of it. Anyone have thoughts on what the chart will look like on a stack of 4 with a plate? 'Love to see it.

Anyways, nice bunch you have here.

Dave.

doncolga

Re: Hello. I'm Dave.

#2 Post by doncolga »

Hey Dave welcome! I've got a pair of 18" and 26" T30's. 16" should be very easy to move. I believe you add 6 dB for each cab doubling. Good luck on your builds.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

dave_clancey

#3 Post by dave_clancey »

Wow, just looked up your posts. That's a fine bit of kit you have there. I'm counting on the 16" wide units to move about easily, but storage space is the reason I'm making them so narrow.

Truth be told, I'm quite fond of this folded BFM math. 4 bins with a plate is looking like 105dB in the 30-50 cycles range? Am I figuring this properly? That's a lot of sauce, isn't it!

Gregory East

#4 Post by Gregory East »

If you want max sauce t39 are it. T30 go a little lower at cost of sensitivity.

Assuming amp power is available, add 12db to single cab chart for an approximation of 4 cabs. Add 3db if you v-plate. Add 3db for each doubling of power over 1w. Many charts are available with the "introducing spl charts" widget.

Premium drivers rule unless you need slim cabs. Building two wide ones with the premium drivers saves a lot of building.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

dave_clancey

#5 Post by dave_clancey »

The 39 does look like a fine cabinet. If I had more space, I'd be keen to give them a go. Considering all of these options has taken a while. I'd venture that picking a horse is more work than building the bins, frankly. - and I'm quite looking forward to the extension of the four T30 bins.

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

dave_clancey wrote:The 39 does look like a fine cabinet. If I had more space, I'd be keen to give them a go. Considering all of these options has taken a while. I'd venture that picking a horse is more work than building the bins, frankly. - and I'm quite looking forward to the extension of the four T30 bins.
4 T39 @ 16" wide = 28.17 cubic feet
4 T30 @ 16" wide = 33.34 cubic feet
That's over 5 cubic feet, boys and girls! :shock: :slap:

Less pack-space, more SPL. Need I say more?
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Gregory East

#7 Post by Gregory East »

Thanks Phatman, I was going to have a go at that myself this evening.

I forget, is 35hz the single cab highpass for T30? The T39 is 45Hz dropping to 40 Hz for a stack of 4.

The 5 or 6dB gap at 50hz is the reason not many t30 herds get built. The 4 cab plots will be somewhat flatter so it's not the full story but close enough.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

DJPhatman

#8 Post by DJPhatman »

If I actually needed 35Hz at relatively high levels, I would be building T60s, not T30 slims.
And, yes they both go up and flatten out a bit. But, the T39 beats the snot out of the T30. Period. Show me a need for >40Hz, and I'll show you the need for T60.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

dave_clancey

#9 Post by dave_clancey »

Very kind of you to assemble the chart, Phatman. Putting on my +12dB goggles, that blue line looks quite nice. You see, it's not my pack-space that is at issue. It's physical storage space within my unit. Not only is it precious, it simply will not accommodate four of the taller bins without a building permit.

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

dave_clancey wrote:Very kind of you to assemble the chart, Phatman. Putting on my +12dB goggles, that blue line looks quite nice. You see, it's not my pack-space that is at issue. It's physical storage space within my unit. Not only is it precious, it simply will not accommodate four of the taller bins without a building permit.
If you lay a T39 on it's front or back, it's only 19 inches tall. Lay it on it's side and it's only as tall as you build it, which will probably be 30 inches or less. So, consider all the dimensions - not just the height. They sit real well on their back or side.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

doncolga

#11 Post by doncolga »

I've got to build at least one T39 and swap a driver out with one of my T30's...just to see.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

dave_clancey

#12 Post by dave_clancey »

What can I say. If the four T30 end up being rubbish, I'll give those T39 a go.

Is there any opinion on the suitability of Faital Pro drivers for the T30?
http://faitalpro.com/products/lf.php

doncolga

#13 Post by doncolga »

dave_clancey wrote:What can I say. If the four T30 end up being rubbish, I'll give those T39 a go.

Is there any opinion on the suitability of Faital Pro drivers for the T30?
http://faitalpro.com/products/lf.php
I will concur that the T39's pack better and may move easier, but I can't imagine you being disappointed. But the T30's are thunderous if you give them the content they excel at.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Presonus Studio One DAW

Drey Chennells

#14 Post by Drey Chennells »

dave_clancey wrote: If the four T30 end up being rubbish, I'll give those T39 a go.
Not gonna happen, rubbish is what previous systems become 8). T30 and T39 are quite different tools so be sure of what you really need before beginning.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

dave_clancey

#15 Post by dave_clancey »

I'm quite fond of club & dance styles and proper jazz. There's enough material below 40 Hz in both to make the T30, at least in theory, more satisfying than the T39. At this point, I'm just hoping four bins are enough for 6,400 sf.