Hello from Jamaica

fyah2k5

Hello from Jamaica

#1 Post by fyah2k5 »

Hello everyone. First of all let me say that I've never built nor own any horn loaded cabs.

Always loved hearing sound system with the big folded horns loaded with 18s and thought that was the way to go. Never heard or seen a Tuba before so I wanna build a couple, but I'm a bit intimidated by all this limiter, sine wave, etc talk. I'm basically a noobie to all that.

Hopefully I can build a couple soon and see if they are as good as ya'll say they are. Thanks Bill and everybody.

Tom Smit

Re: Hello from Jamaica

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi, and welcome!

Most of us didn't know about that kind of stuff either, but after being on the forum for a while, one gets to understand. You could search this forum, and the net, to help in understanding.
TomS

doncolga

#3 Post by doncolga »

To borrow a line from someone else, these subs will dig a hole to China. Tops are equally as impressive. Don't be too intimidated. I had never built anything before and thought it would be impossible to build a sub with no leaks. I also I knew nothing about setting limiters, positioning, loading, etc. You'll pick it up as you go.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

bitSmasher

#4 Post by bitSmasher »

What style music will you be playing?

I'm envious of the sound system culture that appears to have grown in Jamaica and flowed through DnB and Dub (not step!) scenes around the world... though the big old 18/21 scoops and 5 or 6 way systems aren't the greatest way to go about things, as you'll soon learn from this forum. I always ask, will a BFM system get the same name recognition as other big rigs?

88h88

#5 Post by 88h88 »

fyah2k5 wrote:I'm a bit intimidated by all this limiter, sine wave, etc talk. I'm basically a noobie to all that.
Either search the forum or ask nicely... I've made some subs recently and am somewhat OK with the processes involved, I knew nothing this time last year so I don't mind answering questions and neither do the other boys and girls.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

Take it in your stride man
We will help :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

fyah2k5

#7 Post by fyah2k5 »

i am really sorry for not answering. I wanna thank you for the encouragement and i'm seriously ready to get started. everyone around me is convinced that 18s are the way to go. i wanna builld some T39s to prove them wrong. the reason for the research of these cabs is, i dont have a large vehicle to move around 4 18" cabs. so i went looking for small cabs and i came across these.

i'm gonna build 4 T39s with LAB 12s and run them with a QSC RMX2450. that's what i have right now. i want the 4 ohm version though, so that i can present a 2 ohm loading per side to the amp.

what ya'll think. what other equipment will i need?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

fyah2k5 wrote: i want the 4 ohm version though, so that i can present a 2 ohm loading per side to the amp.
Don't do that. :cop:
There's absolutely no benefit in doing so, and should you ever want to expand the system you'll need to add another amp as well.

fyah2k5

#9 Post by fyah2k5 »

Ok Mr. Fitzmaurice, I was just saying that cause I wanted the system to get as much safe wattage as if possible from this amp. I have another thread open where I outlined the components I have, what I think I can keep from that pile and asking what else I should add.

I wanna build 4 omnitop 12s and 4 T39s. That should do enough to blow the minds of the sceptics here in Jamaica. Listened to a system on saturday that had 16 18" subs and they sounded as if they were having cardiac arrest.

I don't want to kill the competition, I just want a neat system that plays damn good, and from what I've heard here, I came to the right place.

Gregory East

#10 Post by Gregory East »

Let's conclude new member welcoming here and take all the rig discussion to the other thread since that one has taken off.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

fyah2k5

#11 Post by fyah2k5 »

Thanks Gregory, I just wanted to introduce myself here. That's why I started the other thread to get the technical know how and knowledge from you guys. The other thread is up and running, keep the info flowing guys.