Joined the ranks

bluez956

Joined the ranks

#1 Post by bluez956 »

Greetings and Salutations from the Left coast!

After several months of procrastination, I can finally include myself in the ranks of the BF loudspeaker design DIY builder/user. And, I am happy to say that I made the right decision and built (2) Titan 39's at the same time. I used the Lab 12 generation II driven with a bridged Crown MT1200. The only real problem I had was, the lack of compensation for the Lab 12's depth. It was a struggle trying to get those suckers in the access hole. But, with the help of a dead blow mallet they are in place and putting out some serious pant leg movement. As soon as the weather gets warmer, I am going to coat them with DuraTex and they will be complete.

I am absolutely amazed at what those two 12" speakers can put out. I am already in the planning stage for another pair of them. I mean why not, I have (2) MT1200's.
After I am finished with the second pair, I think I am going to build a couple of the Wedgehorn 10's.

Chris_Allen

Re: Joined the ranks

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

Welcome to the forum.

Those old Macro Techs are like tanks but running in bridge mode could be risky business. What width did you build you T39's?

The wedge10 is a big beast and goes low. Most people don't need that much bass in the wedge, especially if you are running subs. The new Wedge 8 has a flat response, small size and is a great little thing.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

It's been almost 2 years...no matter. :lol:

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your builds. Give us final reports on the cab performance.
TomS

bluez956

#4 Post by bluez956 »

Whew! I finally made it back.

I built my T39's 18" wide. Why? It seemed like a nice round number. One of the best things is, the finished size fits into my minivan very easily.
The Crown MT1200's are in fact the MicroTech series, the predecessor to the MacroTech. The only issue I have had with running them bridged @ 4 ohms is the heat factor. They do not have adequate air flow with only a single fan venting out the sides. So, I mounted a few whisper fans out of some computer cases on the front of the amps to help move more air through them. It looks pretty hokey but it does the trick. Actually there is another issue, they are f#$&%g heavy as hell. One of these days I'll replace them with an I-Tech 4000 and lop off 70% of the weight.

As for the way they perform? They are nothing short of amazing. Nobody can believe they only have 12" speakers in them. Or that I built them myself!
After coating them with the DuraTex and putting the chevron corners on them, they now look and sound totally pro. It is without a doubt the best time and money I have ever spent on gear.

Michael Ewald Hansen

#5 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

bluez956 wrote:Whew! I finally made it back.

I built my T39's 18" wide. Why? It seemed like a nice round number. One of the best things is, the finished size fits into my minivan very easily.
The Crown MT1200's are in fact the MicroTech series, the predecessor to the MacroTech. The only issue I have had with running them bridged @ 4 ohms is the heat factor. They do not have adequate air flow with only a single fan venting out the sides. So, I mounted a few whisper fans out of some computer cases on the front of the amps to help move more air through them. It looks pretty hokey but it does the trick. Actually there is another issue, they are f#$&%g heavy as hell. One of these days I'll replace them with an I-Tech 4000 and lop off 70% of the weight.

As for the way they perform? They are nothing short of amazing. Nobody can believe they only have 12" speakers in them. Or that I built them myself!
After coating them with the DuraTex and putting the chevron corners on them, they now look and sound totally pro. It is without a doubt the best time and money I have ever spent on gear.
Thats awesome man! :hyper:
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

bluez956 wrote:Whew! I finally made it back.

I built my T39's 18" wide.
Awesome! :clap:
TomS