DJ from CA

coupon

DJ from CA

#1 Post by coupon »

Greetings from the west coast. I found this site off djforums while researching a mobile set up. As a full time engineering student with no job, except for a DJ gig every 2 weeks, spending 1k on a sub that most people say is "good enough" wasn't very appealing. So I'm am very excited to get started on building 2 T39s for way less. After reading forums for the last several hours, I also decided to stray away from buying RCF art312a tops. These powered tops were pretty much THE budget speakers to buy at $800/pair. I still think that these might be a better idea than the DR250s, but I like the idea of just building more to get more power.

Since I have no previous woodworking experience, I will probably attempt to build the auto tuba and t39s myself and have someone else build the dr250 cabinet for me and I'll finish the job with the kits you can order. Is this a plausible idea?

Also a brief bio:

23 year old student/part time DJ. I play mostly house and techno with very minimal amounts of dubstep. Top 40 and hip hop will enter my sets occasionally just for fun. I've been helping out a friends bar/lounge by promoting an EDM night since there really is not that much in my area. I grew up doing sound at my church for pretty large events. One thing I hate is bad sound. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case for majority of the venues downtown and for the average customer that frequent these places. Most places have no sub, try to compensate by turning things extremely loud with horrid EQs and mind numbing trebles. I carry around earplugs at all times in case I find myself in these places. Now I'm fairly new to DJing but have always been involved in music somehow and I want to show people around here that you can listen to music in a good system without going to a fancy nightclub.
Last edited by coupon on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

67baja

Re: DJ from CA

#2 Post by 67baja »

Welcome! It sounds like you have a great plan. If it were me, I would build myself some Otop12s rather than pay someone to build dr's. The Otops sound great and are easier and faster to build than dr's.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

coupon

#3 Post by coupon »

Well I figure the dr250 kits were cheaper so buying a cab would somewhat equal out. Also I'll have my hands full building the t39s!

Michael Ewald Hansen

#4 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

coupon wrote:Well I figure the dr250 kits were cheaper so buying a cab would somewhat equal out. Also I'll have my hands full building the t39s!
Building the Omnitop12 yourself is quite a bit cheaper than have someone else build the Dr250 for you.. I can say from personal experience that the OT12/T39 combo is EXTREMELY potent and will EASILY fill a room with smooth, clean and high fidelity sound for a couple of hundred people :)

If you want great quality speakers and sound you've definately come to the right place, so welcome aboard :)
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

Hey coupon, welcome to the forum!

T39s are a good choice. Follow it with the Ot12 that you can build yourself....they're not that difficult, and they sound good, no, I should say excellent.
TomS

Gregory East

#6 Post by Gregory East »

For sure you will have best sound around, if the places aren't too big I would look at T60 if you can transport and store.

Nothing like having all the bass.

I have dr250 and t48 and haven't heard otops, but the guys that have heard both vouch for them. You could do a very good size bar with a pair of OT12's.

Prepare to corner the market!
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

SeisTres

#7 Post by SeisTres »

If you're going to get all the stuff to build t39's, it becomes MUCH cheaper to keep on building as the cost of tools (and experience) is lowered on "per cab" the more you build.

And personally, i think that having someone else build a dr for you kinda defeats the purpose of it all. At that cost, you'd be better off buying a premium off-the-shelf speaker like the srx series from jbl. JBL is easy to resell, diy (even from authorized builders) is harder.

So taking all that into account, build ot12's.

They're on the same difficulty level as the titans, will be MUCH cheaper if you build them and also go alot faster than the dr's. If you're on a budget use the beta12 for the tops and the lab12 for subs. Don't go for 10" on subs unless they absolute have to be slimmer than 16".

If you plan on doing small events and would like the option of leaving the titans home, build jack 12's. bigger cab and not as much output as the ot12 (when both as used above 100hz) but it sure is nice being able to run full range from two cabs on sticks.

Finally, yes, build the autotuba first. Very cheap driver and it makes a great practice build with a final result which is an amazing sub. I opted for the t18 as my first build.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Drey Chennells

#8 Post by Drey Chennells »

[quote="SeisTres"]At that cost, you'd be better off buying a premium off-the-shelf speaker like the srx series from jbl. JBL is easy to resell[quote]

Well thats one good thing about em. Our systems are for those that want the best, not the best seller. The best rarely is.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com