Hello everyone

Wayne1959

Hello everyone

#1 Post by Wayne1959 »

Hello, Glad to be here. I am looking to build my first subwoofer. I've listened to the offerings in the Big Box Stores and all sound less than clear. I want to add some bass detail to my system. I don't need to shake the neighbors house but I want to fill hear everything blu ray and good music have to offer. I hope someone here can help me with my goals.

bassmonster

Re: Hello everyone

#2 Post by bassmonster »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information and people can be found here, and if you want a clean sound then horns are definitely the way to go.
Most people here might say the Table Tuba has one of the smoothest tones of any other sub in the BFM lineup. It sure is the smoothest sub I have ever heard. It completely blends in with the music. It's tame when you want it to be but can rip your head off if you feed it the right signal. If you want the gut crushing lows of an awesome HT sub the THT would be a good choice, but I've heard it doesn't have the subtle tone of the Table Tuba.

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!

You've indicated two different desires. However, I think I'll just suggest the TT since it covers all but the last 10~15hz that Blueray might demand. I've listened to a 15" wide TT often, and it punches quite deep!
TomS

Wayne1959

#4 Post by Wayne1959 »

After looking around this site. I have purchased plans for the Auto Tuba and both Table Tuba models. I think the one I will build first is the Table Tuba Long version and place it standing up in a corner. If it sounds as good as expected I'm thinking of building the Auto Tuba for my son. The main site states the Auto Tuba is good for Home Theater if the Tuba 18 is not enough and the T24 is too much. So I was thinking this might be a good build for my other sons to build for their homes, purchasing a set of plans for each build that is.

bassmonster

#5 Post by bassmonster »

Wayne1959 wrote: The main site states the Auto Tuba is good for Home Theater if the Tuba 18 is not enough and the T24 is too much.
The AT is only good to about 40hz when it's not helped by the cabin gain of a vehicle or extremely small room. While this still puts it in the butter zone for most music, you might find it missing on action movies where the frequency of say, a submarine depth charge, drops below 40hz. This has been discussed in several threads recently that a quick forum search would yield. I think you'll find that the TTLS you're building will be much better for movies with its extra ~10hz of extension.

Wayne1959

#6 Post by Wayne1959 »

My youngest son lives at home and the Auto Tuba will be placed in his bedroom initially and the limited low end will hopefully make it easier to live with. He will also have the option of moving it to his car when the time comes.

Drey Chennells

#7 Post by Drey Chennells »

Wayne1959 wrote:the Auto Tuba will be placed in his bedroom initially and the limited low end will hopefully make it easier to live with.
oh boy. Get ready for limited low end. :mrgreen:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

Gregory East

#8 Post by Gregory East »

Lol, the only way you'll get limited low end is by making him power it off a hand cranked generator.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

bassmonster

#9 Post by bassmonster »

"Limited" low end? :mrgreen:

I'm 16, so probably close to your son's age since you mentioned something about putting the AT in his car.

My Dual Table Tuba shakes the walls at 5 volts, and at 15 volts the gutters around the perimeter of my house are visibly shaking. It can take much much more than that.

Have fun. :mrgreen: