About time

bassmonster

About time

#1 Post by bassmonster »

Well, after 600 posts I supposed I should introduce myself. Guess I never got around to it when joining.

I began an interest in electronics at about 11 or 12 years old, hooking up computer speakers by their headphone jacks to form a "surround sound" system for my closet mancave. :mrgreen: I built my first "speaker box" if you can even call it that, out of a shoebox, using the drivers from a Boston Acoustics 2.1 system I had torn apart. I didn't even think to salvage the subwoofer crossover, but I didn't even know what a crossover was at the time. At 12 I "inherited" a cheap 8" ported subwoofer, and that has been used in my home stereo for years, though the TT eradicated it competely.

At 14, I became interested in DJing, and at 15 I bought a Numark Mixtrack, a Chauvet color bank light wash system, and a small strobe light. Since then I have used all this, my laptop with Traktor, and my mains for DJing, and the TT will be used for DJing too. I do garage DJ events, usually private parties with less than 100 people, mainly playing dubstep, DnB, and Top 40s.

I'm on an anorexic budget, so I've scraped my system together over the years, starting with a pair of blue Sony component speakers and their 380w amp. This works quite well for garage raves, and it gets quite loud. In the last 6 months I acquired some Polk Monitor 5as and a Sony STR-D1011 HT receiver/amplifier from my dad. He used to have some Klipsch Forte floorstanders but sold them to protect my hearing. :wall: Looking back it was probably a smart decision. I use the Polks as DJ monitors and easy listening speakers, where they won't be pushed hard at all.

In the last month I bought two pairs of MTX Monitor 5i, as side fills and mains for garage DJ events. They're disarmingly small, but quite loud once you feed them some power.

I just finished a dual loaded TT, my first real professional speaker box. I had made some failed attempts before to build some speaker boxes, but nothing even comes close to this. Since I never had a proper sub for DJing, this monster is quite a culture shock. Plays all my dubstep and DnB with ease, laughs at the lowest of notes and meanest of drops.

When the system isn't being used for DJing it's in my room as a personal music listening system. I have a small computer monitor in the middle for "Home Theatre". :mrgreen: Needless to say movies in my room can get quite loud sometimes.

I need to finish the finish on my TT... Dark red mouth, black mouth braces, Duratex outside. It should look wicked when it's all dry. :twisted: