New member musician from NYC

MysticMichael

New member musician from NYC

#1 Post by MysticMichael »

Hi all,

As you can see, I'm a brand new noob to the BFM forum. The name's Michael. I'm a transplanted Midwesterner from Michigan; have lived in New York City now for 18 years. I'm a musician. Main instrument is the electric bass.

I created my profile only a few days ago, though I don't intend to post much for the time being. I'll mostly be doing a lot of lurking, in order to learn some principles of good pro sound design and skillful PA system usage. My goal is to scope out what I'll need to develop my ultimate compact, lightweight, modular, scalable BFM live sound system - when the time is right.

As I look around, I notice that a great many of you apparently are DJs, audio engineers, builders, home stereo enthusiasts, and hobbyists - but not so many musicians as I am accustomed to (I became aware of BFM designs via TalkBass.com, where most of the members are players). I can't help wondering what percentage of BFM forum members are musicians - and if I'm really as outnumbered as I feel?

Since I am much more aesthetic than technical, I won't be joining in on many of the "deep physics" threads (at least the deep something threads), which will likely be over my head. With that caveat in place, I do expect to become more active over time, as I adjust to the scene here. Hoping to learn much...and when the time is right, to contribute what I can as well.

Good to be with you...

Cheers,

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

AntonZ

Re: New member musician from NYC

#2 Post by AntonZ »

Welcome, Michael. You are definitely not the only bass player here. There's a few drummers, the occasional guitard, plenty of bass players. The man himself plays it, too.

Gregory East

#3 Post by Gregory East »

I'd guess at 50/50 muso to DJ ratio among the regular contributors. Another guess would be bassists around 80% of the musos. Drummers are well outnumbered, guitards get a quick guitarist re-education or they go back to their comfort zone.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Rune Bivrin

#4 Post by Rune Bivrin »

Fellow bassist and TB:er here. Is it weird that I recognized your user name and immediately thought of your avatar?
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

doncolga

#5 Post by doncolga »

Welcome man! Musician here who takes DJ gigs as well.

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Frederic Gelinas

#6 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

I play bass in a band. I also play guitar,keys and drums for fun. I was always interested in audio in general (live sound, recording/producing, DJing, building cabs). A Google search brought me here.

Welcome aboard!
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Michael,
I play drums, the "other half" of the rhythm section. According to the oldest of drummer jokes, that means I am not a musician...

I'm here for PA.
Cynic in me says I only need to worry about such things when the rest of you turn up your amplification to the point I can no longer hear my kit... lol

Welcome, you will find what you want here
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Dan30

#8 Post by Dan30 »

Rune Bivrin wrote:Fellow bassist and TB:er here. Is it weird that I recognized your user name and immediately thought of your avatar?
It looked familiar to me too.
T39 24" 3012lf (1 built 1 in progress)
SLA Pro x 2
Yamaha S112V x 1
QSC RMX 2450
dbx Driverack PA

Haysus

#9 Post by Haysus »

Welcome. I am a live sound engineer (self proclaimed) who cannot play an instrument nor sing and always pick the wrong songs during set break. :mrgreen:

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

(Retired)DJ here, learning to play electric, acoustic and, soon, upright.

They're here!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

bassmonster

#11 Post by bassmonster »

Welcome to the forum! Lots of fellow musicians here. I'm a bassist, novice guitarist, and a hobbyist DJ, also learning drums for fun. My bass playing side has made my "guitard" side a lot more rational. :mrgreen:

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#12 Post by Harley »

MysticMichael wrote:and if I'm really as outnumbered as I feel?...
You only get outnumbered when you insist on putting WXZ driver into a cab where the plans clearly call for XYZ , but expecting the said cab to work properly despite the warnings...

Otherwise, you'll fit in just fine :mrgreen:

Oh, btw - welcome, and I just happen to be a fellow bass player as well :roll:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

88h88

#13 Post by 88h88 »

I play other people's music loudly. I lack the grace to play an instrument except maybe drums. :chainsaw:
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#14 Post by Harley »

88h88 wrote:I lack the grace to play an instrument except maybe drums.
We'll pray for you then :slap: :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

MysticMichael

#15 Post by MysticMichael »

Many thanks for the warm welcomes, gents...

I've continued to search & lurk, search & lurk - mostly in the "Reviews" subforum. That, plus I've had a couple of email exchanges with Robby Hoinsky, the nearest authorized BFM builder to NYC.

It is hard to believe that the BFM pro sound cabs are as efficient, clean and powerful as everyone says they are. The idea that a BFM main with a 10" driver can compete with others' 2x15 mains, or that a BFM subwoofer with a 12" driver can compete with others' 2x18 subwoofers, simply blows my mind.

But I'm prepared to be convinced. To think that one could have true hi-fi sound reproduction, at high volume, at a compact, lightweight, modular scale - and at much lower cost than all the usual suspects? Well, that's just gotta be a dream come true! 8)

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake