New member musician from NYC

Gregory East

Re: New member musician from NYC

#16 Post by Gregory East »

Slow down just a little. If you're looking at bass cabs then two ( relatively big ) premium high power 12" jacks will smash an 8x10. But two T48 singles have more packspace than the uber power dual 18 they compare with.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

kekani

#17 Post by kekani »

I was just on tb the other day lurking for amps, and I remembered your avatar because it reminds me of an inlay piece by Grit Laskin. I play bass as well (but I don't call myself a bass player), but am an 'ukulele builder first. I backup my friend & we play Hawaiian music, which is very upright oriented, but I play a p&j, which is custom built.
Gregory East wrote:Slow down just a little. If you're looking at bass cabs then two ( relatively big ) premium high power 12" jacks will smash an 8x10. But two T48 singles have more packspace than the uber power dual 18 they compare with.
I just finished a pair of Jack 112 Lites for PA which is in the build threads, and already had a Jack 112 for my bass cab. Like Greg said, and you will see this, two are better than one. Eventually, you'll see 4x110, if you haven't already.

Btw, my interest here started just try a bass cab, and this was back in November. Things have changed since then.

Aloha!
Aaron
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)
DR200 ASD (Yes! Finally!)

Titanium Hand

#18 Post by Titanium Hand »

Greetings & Welcome Mystical Michael. I dabble in guitar, DJ as a hobby and am still in awe of the value abounding this site.
MysticMichael wrote: To think that one could have true hi-fi sound reproduction, at high volume, at a compact, lightweight, modular scale - and at much lower cost than all the usual suspects? Well, that's just gotta be a dream come true!
Its true its all true! When you feel that you hit a wall with your research, ask questions - so many knowledgeable helpful people here
Built 2 x T39 Lab 12 loaded 457mm wide, 29inch Wide Dual Lab 12 Loaded T60 and 2 x OTop 112 2512 Melded. Powered by N.I.TRAKTOR Pro 2.6 (2.6.1 has too many issues) TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 Crown XTi2000

MysticMichael

#19 Post by MysticMichael »

Thanks again for all the feedback, gents. But I'm definitely not looking for more bass cabs - I'm all set there. My interest here, for the foreseeable future, is centered exclusively on PA systems; particularly the BFM subwoofers and tops. 8)

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

Gregory East

#20 Post by Gregory East »

Ok then, but you'll be missing out on some high performance bass cabs!

If you can spec a crowd, venue, band size and material, we got the PA for you too. Were you thinking of DIY or having it built for you?
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

MysticMichael

#21 Post by MysticMichael »

Gregory East wrote:Ok then, but you'll be missing out on some high performance bass cabs!
Believe me, I've already got some high-performance bass cabs: a pair of Low Down Sound "nEarful" 12/6/1 cabs (close to fEarful spec), a pair of Acme Sound B112 FullRange cabs, a pair of Baer Amplification M112 cabs, and an AudioKinesis ThunderChild.
Gregory East wrote:If you can spec a crowd, venue, band size and material, we got the PA for you too. Were you thinking of DIY or having it built for you?
When the time comes, definitely having the cabs built for me. I have a natural talent for music, but I have virtually zero mechanical aptitude: I ain't no builder and I ain't no tech. Besides, I live in a New York City apartment: No basement, and no garage for containing a workshop.

Since Robby Hoinsky lives nearby in Hartford CT, and since he specializes in lightweight composite materials, I'll most likely start with a quote from him. Again, when the time comes. Down the road a bit yet...

MM
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite."

- William Blake

Gregory East

#22 Post by Gregory East »

Hit Robby up for a demo on a pair of Jack10's just for giggles. I'd be very interested to get your take on them in comparison to the flash gear.

I expect you would get through a lot more power to match the jacks' output but probably need a little more EQ to get them where you like it.

dukeorock

#23 Post by dukeorock »

Upright/electric bass player and TB'r here! Welcome! I've been going back and forth on which build to crack into...looks like I'm gonna try a Jack 15 to start and take it from there :)

The Big M

#24 Post by The Big M »

We can't help but gush about our Jacks! I've been playing bass for > 30 years. When you start listening to the PA tops and horn loaded subs you'll be a believer.

MysticMichael

#25 Post by MysticMichael »

The Big M wrote:We can't help but gush about our Jacks! I've been playing bass for > 30 years. When you start listening to the PA tops and horn loaded subs you'll be a believer.
I'm looking forward to it... 8)

MM

- William Blake

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

MysticMichael wrote: Believe me, I've already got some high-performance bass cabs: a pair of Low Down Sound "nEarful" 12/6/1 cabs (close to fEarful spec), a pair of Acme Sound B112 FullRange cabs, a pair of Baer Amplification M112 cabs, and an AudioKinesis ThunderChild.
I had 3012HO, 3012LF and 3012 OEM samples a year before the drivers were available to the public, and built the equivalent of 3012 OEM loaded ML112 and 3012LF loaded fEarfuls long before either hit the market. The plywood used in those prototypes ended up recycled, either into other projects or into my garden as fertilizer ashes, as my 2512 loaded J12 handily beat both. That cab I sold, my #1 cab now is a 25 pound 2012 loaded J12 Lite.

DJPhatman

#27 Post by DJPhatman »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:...as my 2512 loaded J12 handily beat both. That cab I sold...
And is now mine, being used as my bass rig, along with a light-weight G-K MB2-500 head. Paired with my G&L L-2000, I am in bass heaven!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice