Introduce Yourself.......And Your Projects!

Mikey

#46 Post by Mikey »

Welcome Scott.

Before you start buying stuff from local yocals and Guitar Shitter, I suggest that you ask here first. There are various people here who deal a lot of the stuff you'll need/want, and they have hella better prices (lower than allowable minumum adertised prices). Although it may only save you $10 here or $50 there, the savings really add-up when you're buying lots of stuff.

You don't HAVE to use BB or other expensive plywood, as long as what you're buying will get the job done well. Guys here use all different wood, with mixed successes. Hell, I use some stuff from Ace Hardware for $30 a 4x8 sheet that works great. I still don't know what kind it is, and neither do the "helpful hardware men", but it gits er dun.

As far as your new system, two T39s and two OT212s will be great. A pair of O15TBs would be very similar as far as crowd coverage, though, so you may want to decide on one or the other instead of both.

scottj

#47 Post by scottj »

thanks mike thats sound advice (pun intended LOLOL)i'll check here before i pull the trigger on anything - i'm still fact finding for the moment 8)
"Beer is the cause of and the solution to all of life's problem's"HS

MikeHunt77

#48 Post by MikeHunt77 »

Hi all,

I'm Will and I'm from the UK... I see there are a few others from the UK on here also. :) My interests include music production, and I'm always buying a fiddling with new gear, and came across this site in a bid to improve my sound system!

I hope to build an autotuba for my car first, then go from there...
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

DAVID_L_PERRY

#49 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

HI Will, Mike or whatever....bit confused given your handle....???

Welcome to the more sensible, of speaker building forums.....obviously its mainly only BF related cabs but lots of good guys on here with lots of good hands on real world experience......

Dave (from a little way 'up north'....)

Tim A

#50 Post by Tim A »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:HI Will, Mike or whatever....bit confused given your handle....???
"Mike Hunt"

Old telephone prank. Say it fast...

Hello, is mikehunt there?

DAVID_L_PERRY

#51 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

Just didn't want to say that...come on...first post 'n' all..... :D

MikeHunt77

#52 Post by MikeHunt77 »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:HI Will, Mike or whatever....bit confused given your handle....???

Welcome to the more sensible, of speaker building forums.....obviously its mainly only BF related cabs but lots of good guys on here with lots of good hands on real world experience......

Dave (from a little way 'up north'....)
Yep my handle started off as a joke but it stuck so I use it everywhere now... :)

Right now I'm just waiting for some of those MCM 8" drivers to arrive from the US... and once that's done I'll be able to get building... I also have a friend who is a chippie who should be able to help me if I get stuck on any of the trickier parts... It's not exactly the best weather for speaker building right now.... Rain 24/7 it seems. :(
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

bgavin

#53 Post by bgavin »

Tim Ard wrote:Old telephone prank. Say it fast...
Ref: "Porkys" scene at the drive-in.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

dlmarquez

another newbie

#54 Post by dlmarquez »

Howdy ya'll (I lived in texas for a couple of years!)
I just got all of the hardware from Lawrence Langford. Now I'm seeking suitable plywood to build an Omni 10.5 for a start.
I also am casting about for an amplifier to use when it's finished...open to any suggestions on that.
I'm thinking along the lines of a mesa boogie scout or Genz Benz neo pak 3.5, or Euponic Audio Iamp 300, or Phil Jones Bass suitcase with the Omni 10 as the expansion cabinet...your thoughs would be much appreciated. I'm going to be laid up with a little foot surgery, so I'll have lots of time to contemplate this!
Dave Marquez

Dead Seven

#55 Post by Dead Seven »

I'm Cliff, I play bass in a band called Dead Seven. I tune my lowest string on my 5 string to G# (25.95Hz) and in my search for something to fully express my lowest notes, I've been looking into the Tubas for quite some time now. I still want to learn a lot before I decide which is best, my knowledge and understanding of speaker specs and such admittedly is barely above ignorance.

Right now my rig consists of a Carvin B1500 head running through a three way PA speaker (Carvin LS1503) and I love the sound of it. Even though it certainly doesn't lack in the low end department, I still want to add a sub to the equation, and if I'm going to do that, I'd like it to be something that can express everything I'm putting into it.

As far as the bass guitar itself, I'm currently using a Music Man Stingray 5, but I've played through my current rig with one of Skip's (Knuckle Guitar Works) Quakes, and there truly is no comparison. The Quake is so much more expressive. I ordered my own 5 string Quake from Skip some time last year and it should be finished in the very near future, so that is the bass that my sub woofer goals will be based on.

I've already purchased the plans for the Tuba 36, and I do intend to build it, but I'm not sure it's something I'll be able to take with me to gigs on a regular basis. For that purpose, I'm looking into the smaller Tubas.

So anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to learning a lot here.

David Robinson

#56 Post by David Robinson »

Cliff,

How many more Carvin-ites can we squeeze in here? I'm sure you'll notice recognize a few screen-names. I can't say anything about a low B detuned to G#, but I can tell you from personal experience that a T39 loaded with a BP102 handles an E-string detuned to C quite well, much better than any 1x18 cab I've ever heard.

Dave
I'm not a musician, but I play one in a band.

MYork

Titan48

#57 Post by MYork »

I occasionally use a Titan48/DR250 with a four string bass converted to F# B E A, and the cabinets did well. Mark

Ron P

#58 Post by Ron P »

Hi everyone, I'm Ron, 41, from west-central WI where today it's colder than.....well, it's just damn cold....and I too am a BFM-aholic. I'm the guitar player/singer/soundguy for my band of nearly 20 years. Being kind of a gearhead, I adopted the role of soundman since noone else in the band knew much of anything about it after their previous guitar player/soundman quit. It was a very slow, shallow learning curve for the first 15 years. Then I picked up a Driverack PA unit and it kicked my a$$. Suddenly the learning curve shot straight up. I was determined to learn how to use the thing to it's full potential so I hung out on the Driverack forum reading everything I could. I learned alot of great stuff there. It was there that I first heard of the Lab Sub which I thought was pretty cool, but I new right away that it was just too big to build. A year or two later, someone mentioned the Tuba sub. So of course I had to learn more about it. So....here I am. Actually, this site made the perfect "continuing education" after my Driverack "classes".

Anyway, I was about to purchase a sub for my HT, but thought I would try one of Bill's designs instead and I'm glad I did. I settled on the T18 and it performs wonderfully. From there I bought the whole collection on CD and I now have a pair of Titan 48s (24", 3015LF loaded), a pair of DR250s (w/filter, no throat filler yet, and original melded array), a pair of WH10s (w/Beta 10, filter, throat filler, and original piezo config), one WH (w/original piezo config), and one AT.

Now, I've been a long time Yorkville fan and it took me about 17 years to put together what I thought woud be the perfect system for us. Before the switch to BFM, we were using a pair of 2x18 loaded L1004 subs, L704 tops (3 way), 2 E12s for mons and 2 old MR series JBL mons. Everything powered by Yorkie amps of course. The L1004s and L704s have been sitting in my garage for the last 9 months. I'm having trouble selling them cuz they're too big to ship. Once it warms up a little I intend to build 3 more WHs with the new melded array and I'm working on replacing the amps with PLXs - nice and light, like the rest of the new PA!

Thanks Bill for the great designs! And thanks to all the rest of you who help get us through our building struggles! I love reading your posts!

(Hey, wake up! I'm done.) :D

Mikey

#59 Post by Mikey »

Ron, you could consider running an ad in the Chicago Tribune to sell your Yorkies. Most Chicagoans would use the trip to pick up the cabs as an excuse to party in Wisconsin ... as if they need an excuse. LOL

LelandCrooks

#60 Post by LelandCrooks »

Ron P wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Ron, 41, from west-central WI where today it's colder than.....well, it's just damn cold....and I too am a BFM-aholic. I'm the guitar player/singer/soundguy for my band of nearly 20 years. Being kind of a gearhead, I adopted the role of soundman since noone else in the band knew much of anything about it after their previous guitar player/soundman quit. It was a very slow, shallow learning curve for the first 15 years. Then I picked up a Driverack PA unit and it kicked my a$$. Suddenly the learning curve shot straight up. I was determined to learn how to use the thing to it's full potential so I hung out on the Driverack forum reading everything I could. I learned alot of great stuff there. It was there that I first heard of the Lab Sub which I thought was pretty cool, but I new right away that it was just too big to build. A year or two later, someone mentioned the Tuba sub. So of course I had to learn more about it. So....here I am. Actually, this site made the perfect "continuing education" after my Driverack "classes".

Anyway, I was about to purchase a sub for my HT, but thought I would try one of Bill's designs instead and I'm glad I did. I settled on the T18 and it performs wonderfully. From there I bought the whole collection on CD and I now have a pair of Titan 48s (24", 3015LF loaded), a pair of DR250s (w/filter, no throat filler yet, and original melded array), a pair of WH10s (w/Beta 10, filter, throat filler, and original piezo config), one WH (w/original piezo config), and one AT.

Now, I've been a long time Yorkville fan and it took me about 17 years to put together what I thought woud be the perfect system for us. Before the switch to BFM, we were using a pair of 2x18 loaded L1004 subs, L704 tops (3 way), 2 E12s for mons and 2 old MR series JBL mons. Everything powered by Yorkie amps of course. The L1004s and L704s have been sitting in my garage for the last 9 months. I'm having trouble selling them cuz they're too big to ship. Once it warms up a little I intend to build 3 more WHs with the new melded array and I'm working on replacing the amps with PLXs - nice and light, like the rest of the new PA!

Thanks Bill for the great designs! And thanks to all the rest of you who help get us through our building struggles! I love reading your posts!

(Hey, wake up! I'm done.) :D
Reviews :!: :!:
The #1 question is how they compare to commercial cabs. Please do an ab review. If you have any testing gear run some tests. Please.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com