Getting Max Volume from 50 Watt Tube Amp?

jdfarrell81

Getting Max Volume from 50 Watt Tube Amp?

#1 Post by jdfarrell81 »

Hi all,

I have a Matamp 50 watt all-tube amp that I love for bass guitar, and it can get quite loud, but it's obviously not loud enough for many applications. (e.g. - loud rehearsals, gigs without PA support, etc.)

I prefer a warm, round, "wooly" bass tone, so I don't need super hi-fidelity, but I do need volume. I was hoping some of you could suggest the best cab or cabs to get the most decibels out of the 50 watts I'm working with.

Thanks and cheers from "beautiful" Baltimore, MD!

wallywally

Re: Getting Max Volume from 50 Watt Tube Amp?

#2 Post by wallywally »

Ohm rating of that amp? Do you like deep lows or more of a classic sound? Size/ weight limitations?
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

jdfarrell81

#3 Post by jdfarrell81 »

wallywally wrote:Ohm rating of that amp? Do you like deep lows or more of a classic sound? Size/ weight limitations?
The amp has a 4 ohm tap and dual taps for 8 and 16 ohms respectively, so I can be pretty flexible. Size and weight aren't considerations.

As for my tonal preferences, I much prefer a "classic" bass tone. Think P-bass plugged straight into an angry sounding tube amp.

Gregory East

#4 Post by Gregory East »

Your choices would have to be jack or omni full range. You might omit the tweeters. There has been the odd bit of discussion about tweeters not handling raw valve distortion. There's probably a few extra dB in an omni over jack sensitivity if you can be bothered lumping it around.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Two J10. You need the extra sensitivity of using two woofers.

jdfarrell81

#6 Post by jdfarrell81 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Two J10. You need the extra sensitivity of using two woofers.
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. Two J10s it is!