Aloha from Hawaii

kekani

Aloha from Hawaii

#1 Post by kekani »

I've realized how rude I may have been in stumbling across this board. I've already fired away on questions in the Jack board, and didn't even bother to start here.

Well, you guessed that I'm building a Jack, standard 112 with melded array (switchable). Initially, this project was just for my bass (Hawaiian Music does not do Earth shattering basslines, just nice foundational stuff, most of it centered around upright, but played electric by most), but I'm thinking in the back of my mind to replace my PA speakers with them for the simple fact that my 65lb JBL 15's are heavy compared to my friends EV SX100 12's, which he uses to run sound, even the Bass - hence my quest for a bass cab to stop distorting his speakers and replace mine.

For the current build, I've already done the basic cutting of the wood, and I've started on a template for the baffle (just so I can pattern route the next two to replace the JBL's). The only thing I haven't cut yet is the driver spacer (gotta wait till my order from Leland comes in - be 4 weeks plus coming here on the boat so I'm in no rush). After all that cutting today, I wish I were building the other two (I hate milling wood).

Anyway, for the short time that I've signed up (lurked a heck of a lot longer to arrive at Jack 12's), I really appreciate all of the help that is willingly offered here. I feel I'm over my head at times with the level on knowledge and commitment by member/builders, to the point where I'm thinking how sad our sound must be, and how much better it could, should, be.

Oh, background. From a musical perspective, I'm an `ukulele builder, and I've built my own bass that I learned to play the other year. Currently on a 2nd Bass build for a friend, then its back to `ukulele (and inlay). As for performances, really small gigs, with some going up to 300, so our sound requirements are simply a powered mixer with FOH and sometimes monitors - my friend doesn't like lugging anything around, or setting up anything for that matter other than mains and mics. Its most, if not all, dinner music. I just learned to play bass, and he drags me around with him because I play the way he likes (I don't get in the way of vocals, which is important in our music). So I do enjoy playing, and performing. BUT, I know we are not sounding our best. He doesn't think I need a bass amp, and the EV's are enough. Oh, just for information, he doesn't know jack (no pun intended) about running sound, but he thinks he does. As for speakers, I informed him the other day that his EV's are ripping.

How timely is it that I'm starting a Jack build? As stated, I've already started questions on the Jack board about my applications, so I'll go back there now and get educated.

Aaron Oya
`Ukulele & Inlay
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)
DR200 ASD (Yes! Finally!)

Gregory East

Re: Aloha from Hawaii

#2 Post by Gregory East »

Got kick drums in Hawaiian music? Your jack will cover bass for a good crowd but for kick drum you want a sub.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

kekani

#3 Post by kekani »

Gregory East wrote:Got kick drums in Hawaiian music? Your jack will cover bass for a good crowd but for kick drum you want a sub.
For us, no drums. There are some groups that have drums, but not most (if not all) of the guys I play (and listen) with. I'll keep that in mind though - the `Ukulele Guild of Hawai`i asked me to run a small sound system one year at a conference, which I did, and I told them ONLY acoustic instruments (Bass is okay). One group showed up with edrums - they had their own cab. I haven't run sound since.

-Aaron
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, Aaron.
TomS

LelandCrooks

#5 Post by LelandCrooks »

I considered hand delivering your stuff, but figured I couldn't get it through airport security. :mrgreen:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

el_ingeniero

#6 Post by el_ingeniero »

LelandCrooks wrote:I considered hand delivering your stuff, but figured I couldn't get it through airport security. :mrgreen:
Too cheap to check, huh?

kekani

#7 Post by kekani »

LelandCrooks wrote:I considered hand delivering your stuff, but figured I couldn't get it through airport security. :mrgreen:
You know, a heavy round magnet may be cause for concern, especially with Barry leaving the island today. . .I'm sure the Secret Service would've been all over you after the metal detectors go off.

I'm having visions of completing this build, daily. Seems I can't wait to play it fast enough. Of course, its not always the destination, but the journey. Is this normal?

-Aaron
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)

Gregory East

#8 Post by Gregory East »

In the end the sound that comes out is the most important thing, that's why we take pains to point guys the right way, whichever is the right way for them, hence all the interrogations and recommendations.

Try not to leave out any steps on reporting the journey eh! What are you building? One jack12 so far isn't it?
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

kekani

#9 Post by kekani »

Gregory East wrote:In the end the sound that comes out is the most important thing, that's why we take pains to point guys the right way, whichever is the right way for them, hence all the interrogations and recommendations.

Try not to leave out any steps on reporting the journey eh! What are you building? One jack12 so far isn't it?
For sure I understand all the "interrogations and recommendations" - I'm on that side of the field when it comes to the `Ukulele building boards. Here, I am starting and will remain humbled by the knowledge I hope to gain.

As for steps on the journey, I'm taking pics, and will surely log a post upon completion, rather than support boredom in the form of "okay, today I did this. . ." I would, except, I don't have all the parts, yet, and won't have them for a while (surface shipping, you know). I think I may have done some things that are not "recommended" but only because I have a table saw, sliding miter, and so far most importantly for me, a router (with a router table). Oddly, I don't have one of the recommended tools - a jigsaw.

And yes, its a Jack 12, for bass. With switchable melded array so I can test its application as a full range PA. From what I've read and heard so far, I should be building 3 right now and just get it done. Since I have the woofer template, the next two builds should be faster. Wish I had a dovetail jig (to do finger joints), but the tablesaw and dado blade sufficed.

-Aaron
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)

Tom Smit

#10 Post by Tom Smit »

kekani wrote: Wish I had a dovetail jig (to do finger joints),

-Aaron
Ooooo, that would look smart!
TomS

AntonZ

#11 Post by AntonZ »

I recently got a dovetail jig. Haven't had time to put it to use just yet, may take a while. And I'm not sure mine will work on 1/2" ply.

kekani

#12 Post by kekani »

Tom Smit wrote:
kekani wrote: Wish I had a dovetail jig (to do finger joints),

-Aaron
Ooooo, that would look smart!
Yeah, but too bad it would be covered with Duratex. BUT, at least I'D know it was there. Guess you could call these finger joints, even though there's only 3 of them?

Okay, so now that the Jack 112 is off and running (and basically done with the box actually, except for the hard parts that are still on the boat coming over), and I have my plan for setting up the PA Jacks, I'm thinking I need to do some Wedgehorns first (before the Jacks for PA), just because I need to get rid of my Yamaha 12's (which suck, but better than nothing).

Now I just gotta do some research on whether to do the 6 (which I'd really like to do out of 1/4") or the 8 because I'm going to run an `Ukulele and Acoustic Guitar through them, not just vocals. Lap Steel may run through them as well about 50% of the time. If it were ONLY vocals, I'd go with the 6. I hope I still can, as we don't play at loud volumes anyway.

Anyway, as requested, I'll be posting the build process once completed. Obviously, I've been taking some pics, but not of EVERY step, so it'll just be another Jack build build, with some twists I guess.

Damn, this stuff is addicting, and I haven't even played through a BFM (why is it BFM and not just BF?) cab yet. I'm still avoiding finding a reason to do a DR build! BUT, I think its more exciting right now to just finish the Jack 12, just to shut my friend up.

-Aaron
Wedgehorn 6 (x2)
Jack 110 Lites (x2)
XF212 (Egnater style)