Hello and a couple questions...

chjade84

Re: Hello and a couple questions...

#16 Post by chjade84 »

Brew wrote:More than enough. My amp rating is a little higher, but the TT replaced 2 subs running a plate amp rated at 500 watts
For the 8" woofer I take it?

I've run into one potential obstacle though. My amp is rated at 90W at 8 ohms. The 2nd room outputs aren't detailed anywhere I can find in the manual, so I assume they are the same (or less wattage/more impedance). I don't think you are supposed to power a 4 ohm speaker with it. It's an Onkyo TX-SR606 if I haven't said that already; if anyone knows anything about it, specifically.

Of course I'm still on the fence about whether or not to build an 8" or 10" version. On the one hand 8" is probably enough for normal people :twisted:, and it would be great to be able to say "This powered sub cost $225 and uses an 8" driver. How's your $1,000 Klipsch 12" working out for you? :D" - but on the other hand... for about $150 more I could have the 10" and from what I understand some pretty good headroom to push it as far as I want without feeling like I could use more bass.

I haven't come across any technical comparisons between the 8" and 10" TT; how similar are they in SPL? I know the description page says they are about the same in terms of response. Is it worth it to go 10", or will I not notice the difference unless I were to listen to each side-by-side?

Brew

#17 Post by Brew »

For the size of your room, the 8 should be fine. I believe the Tang Bang 8 option may allow a little more power, but is more expensive. I've used the Tang Bang as well as a 10". happy with either. You may need to find a driver rated at 8 ohms that fits within the guidelines in the plans. Onkyo 606 says it needs 6ohms or greater . I would be careful w/ 4 ohm speaker.

chjade84

#18 Post by chjade84 »

Brew wrote:For the size of your room, the 8 should be fine. I believe the Tang Bang 8 option may allow a little more power, but is more expensive. I've used the Tang Bang as well as a 10". happy with either. You may need to find a driver rated at 8 ohms that fits within the guidelines in the plans. Onkyo 606 says it needs 6ohms or greater . I would be careful w/ 4 ohm speaker.
I just never remembered I never updated my room's real dimensions. It's 13.5'x17' with an 11' a-frame ceiling. All total it's 2,244ft3. It's got a 6.5'x4' entrance to the rest of the house - rear center.

I should be good to corner load the sub no problem, so that's a plus.

If the general consensus is the 8" MCM driver will scare some newcomers, I'll probably just go with that and the Foster WF-100k amp that was recommended earlier. It's pretty close to the max power the MCM can take, so why go bigger? Actually... is it a good idea to push an amp close to it's max regularly, or is it one of those devices that is just fine with that?