Otops, Jacks, DRs, Titans.. oh my

Preston

Otops, Jacks, DRs, Titans.. oh my

#1 Post by Preston »

So far I've built four 28" T-39, 3012lf, and a pair of 3012 HO, melded, Otop's. They are incredible and I have zero complaints. My situation has changed however, and for the time being I'm not providing PA, but am "just" the bassplayer for my new band. I've been using an ancient Peavey 4x12 blackwidow cab that weighs about a ton for the last decade, and I aint getting any younger. I usually have PA support.

I've used a biamped Titan + Otop for bass, and it's just way more than I need, and more gear than I want to schlep. I've also learned that the 3012 HO is overkill for the O-tops.

I'm considering using the 3012 HO's and building a pair of Jacks. If I do this, then should I just build more jacks if/as needed for PA use and scrap the Otop's, or buy a couple of the less expensive recomended drivers and keep the Otop's for PA use?

OR: build a pair of slim T-39's with passive xover so I'd have a little one to use for bass rig;

OR: I've also considered building DR250's and not looking back...

What would you do?

sine143

Re: Otops, Jacks, DRs, Titans.. oh my

#2 Post by sine143 »

make jacks and keep the otops. you can steal the jackplate, corners, and HF section from them if you want. this way, you can keep the otop cabs, and if the situation changes, you can swap back.

OR

you can try to sell the unloaded otops... could at least get some change out of it. AFAIK, you can stack jacks with different drivers, however, you must keep the power down to that of the lowest powerhandling cab. not exactly sure though.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

AntonZ

#3 Post by AntonZ »

I'm with Sine, but selling unloaded cabs can be disappointing. Costs of materials, max. You might as well keep them as the PA will perhaps be needed again in the future.
Preston wrote:What would you do?
Start by building one cab only, since you usually have PA support. You could play with one of your T39's bi-amped on the rare occasions when you need more.

If you are short on cash, do a single Jack 12 with driver and hardware from one of your tops. If not enough, add either T39 or another Jack 12. It will only cost some wood, paint and time. You have done Omnitops, the Jacks shouldn't be much harder than that.

If you happen to have a bit more money to burn and like it light, then instead I'd get a Deltalite 2510 and build a Jack 10. Again, borrow remaining hardware (dish, crossover, corners, handles, whatever) from one of your tops will keep expenses down. And if not enough, add either T39 or another Jack 10.

I have very recently acquired a pair of Omni 10.5 (predecessor to Jack 10), they are plenty loud for me and I'm happy not lugging around anything larger or heavier.

As for the DR250's, they do fine as bass cabs too, sound superior to Omnitops and Jacks. But I find the cube shape makes them somewhat cumbersome in packing and handling. Not impossible mind you, and very good still for their performance, but the jacks sure are a lot easier in transport. Just thought I should mention, as you say you want to get rid of the cumbersome 4x12".

Preston

#4 Post by Preston »

I've saved enough of my gig money to fund just about any build, so I won't have to pinch too many pennies, but I can't afford to just build cabs I don't need either. I'm very confident that I'll need the PA every so often, but probably not when I'm playing bass.

I don't think I'd even bother trying to sell empty O-tops. They're from the older plans, and there's just not that much to them once all the hardware is removed. I'd just write them off as a sunk cost, and besides they already paid for themselves.

I'm thinking I might need to make some mockups and also get a better idea of how much each different cabinet actually weighs. Storage and transport isn't an issue so much as willingness to load/unload gear.

BTW: I play in your typical way-too-loud rowdy 60-70-80's classic rock band. I use a wide variety of basses from a P-bass with flats to slapping a five string with rounds.

Thanks for the great responses so far!

AntonZ

#5 Post by AntonZ »

Gregory pointed out to me that you already discarded the T39+OT idea as too much gear in your first post. Apologies for bringing it back up.

In light of your last post (loud rock band, multiple basses including flat wound and 5 string), my guess would be to build two Jack 12 with the 3012HO's, so you can drive them hard if need be. No reason to write off the Omnitops if they work fine for you, just store until you need them. Then get a pair of Deltalites 2512's for the tops, as you consider the 3012's overkill there.

From my experience with Omni 10.5 I think the Jacks are easier to load/unload than DR250's. I have a DR250 for bass, it's my favorite for sound but I find I rarely use it because I much prefer the Omni 10.5's for load/unload. That's due to the shape, rather than weight. Making mockups is definitely a good idea.

You may want to see if there are Jack users in your area. So you can try if you like the sound before committing to build. It is quite different from a classic 4x12" bass cab. If at all possible try if you like it before spending time and money.

Would it be convenient to see pics of the Omni 10.5 stack next to DR250, for size comparison?

jswingchun

#6 Post by jswingchun »

AntonZ wrote:In light of your last post (loud rock band, multiple basses including flat wound and 5 string), my guess would be to build two Jack 12 with the 3012HO's, so you can drive them hard if need be. No reason to write off the Omnitops if they work fine for you, just store until you need them. Then get a pair of Deltalites 2512's for the tops, as you consider the 3012's overkill there.
+1
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210