New here, new project

SeisTres

Re: New here, new project

#16 Post by SeisTres »

Zack Brock wrote: The sealed DR250 is fully horn loaded whereas the OmniTop 12 is partially horn loaded and partially vented where the horn loading drops off (around 250Hz if I recall correctly), sort of a combo of the two (part of the reason for the lower efficiency).
Actually the reason why the otop is less efficient is directly correlated to the shorter horn which cannot load the waves below it's cutoff point. Porting the designs tunes them to get higher sensitivity at the cost of reduced extension. This is seen the graphs for the ported dr250 and the sealed dr250; the ported has that tiny hump around 100hz. If the otop was also sealed, it would loose even more sensitivity in the lower range.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Widge

#17 Post by Widge »

OK, now I'm a little confused again. Does the OTop response extend to lower frequencies or does the DR extend lower? And, if it does, does it really matter if it is sitting on top of a T39? I'm really liking the idea of a T39, by the way. It looks like it has the kind of evil presence every bass player should have backing him (or her) up.

SeisTres

#18 Post by SeisTres »

Widge wrote:OK, now I'm a little confused again. Does the OTop response extend to lower frequencies or does the DR extend lower? And, if it does, does it really matter if it is sitting on top of a T39? I'm really liking the idea of a T39, by the way. It looks like it has the kind of evil presence every bass player should have backing him (or her) up.
With the different tuning options, the dr can be made to have more extension that the otop. Also, if you're going to be running the dr solo and sometimes as a top, you can even do the adjustable tunning ports where you can go from more extension or less extension, depending on what you're doing. The otop does not have this option (I mean, you could do if you really wanted to, but it's not in the plans).
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Widge

#19 Post by Widge »

Plans ordered. A Titan 39 is a given, and I'll take a look at both DR250 and Omni Top 12 plans to see what looks like the way to go. Probably the DR, but maybe not. If this works as well as it sounds like it can, I might be able to convince my brother to get rid of his Ampeg rig and go for a set like this, too.

Let the adventure begin!

jswingchun

#20 Post by jswingchun »

Zack Brock wrote:The DR250 isn't really that much more difficult to build, just more tedious and time consuming. And less forgiving overall.
Doesn't more tedious, time consuming and less forgiving equal more difficult? :wink:
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

SeisTres

#21 Post by SeisTres »

jswingchun wrote:
Zack Brock wrote:The DR250 isn't really that much more difficult to build, just more tedious and time consuming. And less forgiving overall.
Doesn't more tedious, time consuming and less forgiving equal more difficult? :wink:
:owned: