Hello Everyone!

sine143

Re: Hello Everyone!

#16 Post by sine143 »

although i'm not a mac fan.... I think their audio system is much better. I experience much better latencies when working on apple machines.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

shane2943

#17 Post by shane2943 »

Well I do happen to own a Macbook. Guess I'm 1/2 way there eh? LOL

;)

BrentEvans

#18 Post by BrentEvans »

shane2943 wrote:Well I do happen to own a Macbook. Guess I'm 1/2 way there eh? LOL

;)
Not for SAC itself, but you could use it as a SAC remote, if you boot into Windows instead of MacOS.

http://www.softwareaudioconsole.com

There is nothing else "like" it out there, free or paid - this is a full on 72 channel digital mixer that operates at real-word latencies on inexpensive consumer hardware. The results are as night and day as going from crap commerical speakers to BFM.
Chris_Allen wrote:
jcmbowman wrote:Actually, with the way SAC is coded it sidesteps almost all of the windows audio subsystem. just an FYI.
Absolutely the correct design decision. When (if?) it looses windows completely, I think it will take off massively.
SAC is taking off - the user base grows constantly. We get new users on almost a weekly basis, and I'm sure there are some that don't register on the forum. It's going into showrooms in Vegas regularly. Bob L. just got back from demoing it at InfoComm with his spiffy new 10-finger touchscreen drivers, which is about 1 or 2 releases away, and has reported that there's a lot of interest. 3M has a new desktop multitouch display that looks very interesting, and there are other bigger things on the horizon too.

BTW, Windows itself is stable. The trappings of Windows, and all the crapola that comes with it, is the unstable part. Because it is ubiquitous, SAC will stay on that platform. The design process was for it to be a PC based system, not a standalone system (that was considered). Being PC based means that it will grow as technology grows, without all the extra R&D required for a dedicated system. Right now SAC can do 72 channels over 24 mixers. Simple code changes can expand that as processing power grows.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

shane2943

#19 Post by shane2943 »

Great info, Brent! Thank you, sir.

What's the learning curve on SAC like?

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

shane2943,

I don't know if there are any BFM systems in the Houston area, but if you want to hear OT12s and T39s - I'll have mine out playing Concerts in the Park in New Braunfels in July.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

shane2943

#21 Post by shane2943 »

My wife is a big small-town festival girl. She loves to go to small town festivals and such and tracks them using the AAA Texas magazine. I think the Luling Watermelon Thump is in late July this year and Luling is not far from New Braufels. Might have to come check 'em out. :D

Thank you very much for the invite! I'll get more info from you if it looks like we'll be in the area.

Bruce Weldy

#22 Post by Bruce Weldy »

shane2943 wrote:My wife is a big small-town festival girl. She loves to go to small town festivals and such and tracks them using the AAA Texas magazine. I think the Luling Watermelon Thump is in late July this year and Luling is not far from New Braufels. Might have to come check 'em out. :D

Thank you very much for the invite! I'll get more info from you if it looks like we'll be in the area.
PM'd you

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#23 Post by BrentEvans »

shane2943 wrote:Great info, Brent! Thank you, sir.

What's the learning curve on SAC like?
The developer has gone to a lot of trouble to make the interface analogous to a high end analog mixer, with some extra benefits. This means that your mixing habits and knowledge transfer easily, although the actual steps to do something are a bit different, but overall the learning curve is far less than a commercial digital mixer.

When I set up my rig, I had already played with the demo off and on for several weeks and gotten a good feel already for how to get sound in and out of the system. The first thing I used it for was an outdoor church camp meeting, replacing an A&H GL2200 and the requisite Rack'O'Gear with compressors, EQs, etc. I had the mix dialed in better from the first night than we ever did on the analog system, owing to the extra processing capabilities of SAC, and the ease of setup. I kept on adjusting and it got better and better. I actually got people telling me "This is the best sound we've ever had. And are you running it from THAT?" while indicating my laptop. Every night for two weeks. How often does the sound guy get positive comments?

That said, I'm pretty good with computers, and I know my way around a mixer and gear rack well enough. The more you use the system, the easier it becomes to tweak and change, and the more you start doing things differently than before. I've had to set up and mix on a few analog systems since, and I've realized how much my thought process has changed about sound.

Highly recommended. :)
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#24 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Brent,

What do you use for your I/O?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

BrentEvans

#25 Post by BrentEvans »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Brent,

What do you use for your I/O?
Personally, I use an RME DIGI9652 with 3 Behringer ADA1000 mic pres (8 in/8 out). This was the economical route (and a very common one), as I got the card for a song on Ebay. The pres I got new, however, and they are excellent. Most of us use them, they're one of the products Behringer got right. There are plenty of other options, however.