Omni 15

billgwaltney

Omni 15

#1 Post by billgwaltney »

I am building the Omni 15 (2X15).
I am building this to play my bass duitar through how ever I have a few questions. I would like to build this full range with tweeter because I would like to try it out as a main on my PA system. I presently use 2 EV force speakers stacked ontop of two 18" subs. If this speaker works as advertised I may Build be set of the upper end plans and replace what I have. Is it ok to use the full range with tweeter as a stand alone bass box. I will dive it with a 400watt WT500 Eden amp. My plan may be to build the larger aray studd for my system down the road. I am not cutting corners, using the birch and the better 15" reccommened.

Thanks for any info
Bill

Zack Brock

Re: Omni 15

#2 Post by Zack Brock »

First, welcome to the forums!

Second, let me make sure I understand you correctly. Are you using the 2 EV Force + 2 Dual 18" subs as your bass guitar rig? :shock: :shock:

If so, one OmniTop 2x15, even built with the premium components, won't be able to compete with that. Build a full range Omni 15 or Omni 12 however and you are getting closer, although the TWO dual 18" subs will still pull ahead.
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I believe he's describing his PA. If so don't use an O15 to replace a sub/top rig, replace it with a better sub/top rig, like T48 and OTops or DRs. Whatever you do stop putting your subs beneath your tops.
Doing so means you're splitting your subs and you're not wall loading them, two major no-no's. :cop:

billgwaltney

#4 Post by billgwaltney »

I run a makie 16 onyx board with dbx drive rack and all the other comps, maximizer ect for my PA system. The house is 2 ev force speakers stacked on top of two 18" subs (total 2 ev and 2 subs). I dont have a stand alone bass cabinet right now. I have bought the plan and am about to start to build a omni 2x15 unit for that purpose. I would like for the omni to have the tweeter so i could try it in place of one of the Force speaker to see how it would perform as a house speaker. It looks like it should be comprable to the force which is 2 15s and a horn. If it turns out that these speakers work that nice I would like to build a set of house speakers ie. subs with tops. This is for gospel music so it carries some pretty good bass and we run around 100db levels. We play ever thing from small places to places that set 500 to outside. I mic drums, guitar, bass guitar, keyboards and vocals.

What speakers for the house would you recommend?

Will the omni 15 be the right thing for the bass for small places and stage sound because I run the Bass through the house when we play?

Is it ok to put the tweeter in for use as a bass cabinet?

Thanks for help
Bill

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Omni 15 is a 1x15 or 2x12, not a 2x15. It's a great bass cab and you can run with or without tweeter based on your preference.

You should not consider it to use with subs for PA. For that matter you should not be using what you're using now. When you have subs there's no justification for a 2x15/horn top. 2x15/horn cabs are three times the size and weight that's required for a dedicated top, and they have poor midrange dispersion. Their only advantage is the ability to go low enough to run without subs, but if you have subs than all that extra size and weight are for naught, and you're giving up midrange response and dispersion for no reason.

billgwaltney

#6 Post by billgwaltney »

Thanks for information. You discussed the subs. Are you telling me the subs should be placed against the back wall behind the band and the tops out front?

What would you recomend for subs and tops for what we do?\\

Thanks
Bill

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

billgwaltney wrote:Thanks for information. You discussed the subs. Are you telling me the subs should be placed against the back wall behind the band and the tops out front?

What would you recommend for subs and tops for what we do?\\

Thanks
Bill
A pair or 2 of OT12s, and matching count of wide* T39s with the 3012LF. Add a pair of Deltalite II 2510 loaded Wedgehorn 10s as your monitors/bass rig, and you are golden. The extra pair of OT12s and T39s are for outdoors.

*= As wide as you can, 30" internals preferred. At the very least, 20".
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

billgwaltney

#8 Post by billgwaltney »

Well i starter the omni 15 fullrange yesterday but building it will two 15s. Got the wood cut yesterday afternoon and got most of the cabinet built, Started working on the midrange horm this afternoon. It does not fit air tight in cabinet. Some small gaps, say 1/8. Will the PL premium fill those without problem?

Guess I should take some pictures and post. The bad news is i gotta go out of town for 6 weeks starting tuesday. So I will order the speakers/drivers ect when i get back. Nothing like working the the Nuclear Power Plant Business.

Bill

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

billgwaltney wrote:Well i starter the omni 15 fullrange yesterday but building it will two 15s.
It will take one 15. It will take two 12s. It will not take two 15s.

Gauss

#10 Post by Gauss »

YES, PL will solve everything. If there was a fan club, I'd join it. Also, I am a big fan of Duratex. First coat was dry last night, and it came out so good, but I'll save that for another post soon to come.
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39

billgwaltney

#11 Post by billgwaltney »

Sorry typo, yes 2x12"

WB

#12 Post by WB »

billgwaltney wrote:Nothing like working the the Nuclear Power Plant

Bill
Sector 7?
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

billgwaltney

#13 Post by billgwaltney »

southeast region USA

billgwaltney

#14 Post by billgwaltney »

Well, I ordered the DR200 and the T39 plans to build for the house portion of my system. This should be fun. The bad news is I can't start on them for six weeks.