Ready to rumble

subharmonic

Ready to rumble

#1 Post by subharmonic »

Hi,

So I have been lurking around this site for a while. Sleeperawaken36 on youtube sold me on the folded horn idea and some Behringer tops. I just got my plans a couple weeks ago and am finally getting ready to build. I will be starting with T39s for a mobile DJ business, mainly country and rock however anything goes because that is the job. After that I am not sure where I will be going. My wish list is THT, DR tops, Davids, SLA, and SHLA *home system timber matched. I am looking for the best home theater I can make with my own hands, perhaps even amp building but that is a little intimidating at this time.

I am in Mandan, ND so if there is anyone in this area wanting to check out the speakers as I build them is welcome too. I hope I can contribute to this forum one way or another.

I have done local theater AV work, church sound and video, custom AV installer for high end systems, system designer, and remote programmer. So if there are any questions those are areas I have knowledge in please feel free to hit me up, if I don't know I will let you know that but still try to get the answer.

Dan
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

Tom Smit

Re: Ready to rumble

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Well, nobody has yet, so I will. Welcome to the forum! By the way, did you get the plans on CD?(hint, hint)
TomS

subharmonic

#3 Post by subharmonic »

tammojsmit wrote:Well, nobody has yet, so I will. Welcome to the forum! By the way, did you get the plans on CD?(hint, hint)

Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I ordered the whole CD since I knew I would most likely be building a couple designs. I found it better that way I was able to read the forums, look at all the plans and decide whether to go T30 or T39. Bill shipped fast too and has helped me out with a couple other questions. So if you are looking at buying plans go for it, no cold shoulder "after the sale".

Dan
I need more bass

CW Mcall

Zack Brock

#4 Post by Zack Brock »

You decided what to build yet?
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

subharmonic

#5 Post by subharmonic »

Yes, I am going with the T-39 since most peeps around here like country and as a mobile DJ you have to play what they want. :cowboy:

However I love techno and deep clean bass, so my next project will have to be a tuba of some sort.
I need more bass

CW Mcall

subharmonic

#6 Post by subharmonic »

SCORE!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

It looks like I have a woofer collecting dust that will work for a THT! I have a JL 12W3v2-D2, just searched the forums and Bill gave it the nod for another user. I guess we will pit the THT 12" against my current Velodyne HGS10x (pending it doesn't fall to the clacking death 2 have before it by the time the build is done)

No amp or money to run it but I will LFE out into one of my unused 2nd zone inputs and run it that way. 100w is better than 0w LOL
I need more bass

CW Mcall

Gregory East

#7 Post by Gregory East »

Fun times. Mobile DJ with a hometheatre amp? Playing CW? So long as the punters are yeehawing and buying drinks who gives a rats posterior?

subharmonic

#8 Post by subharmonic »

Clarification....
I am building 2 T39's for the DJ gigs with 1xBP102 in each
I will be building a THT for my home theater with a JL 12", that is where the Velodyne showdown is happening. However I am building it an inch narrower than my door so I can bring it to any bass hungry crowds in smaller venues as necessary. Sorry for any confusion.

The Velodyne is a awesome sounding sub but not reliable even in a small room (originally an apartment) they had a bad amp design or something that eventually just clacks when it is powered on. You call up then send in the plate amp and $280, they deny it is a known issue and you get a brand new amp back. Repeat every 2+ years, I want to try a new game, I buy plywood and glue, a Behringer reference amp for less than the plate amp, then knock plaster off the walls with bass. :fingers:
I need more bass

CW Mcall

SeisTres

#9 Post by SeisTres »

subharmonic wrote:Clarification....
I am building 2 T39's for the DJ gigs with 1xBP102 in each
I will be building a THT for my home theater with a JL 12", that is where the Velodyne showdown is happening. However I am building it an inch narrower than my door so I can bring it to any bass hungry crowds in smaller venues as necessary. Sorry for any confusion.

The Velodyne is a awesome sounding sub but not reliable even in a small room (originally an apartment) they had a bad amp design or something that eventually just clacks when it is powered on. You call up then send in the plate amp and $280, they deny it is a known issue and you get a brand new amp back. Repeat every 2+ years, I want to try a new game, I buy plywood and glue, a Behringer reference amp for less than the plate amp, then knock plaster off the walls with bass. :fingers:
I'd highly, wait let me repeat it, HIGHLY recommend using the 3012lf if you're going the titan route. check my sig ;) Buy once, cry once, and you will never look back.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

subharmonic

#10 Post by subharmonic »

Thanks for the heads up but I already have the subs and have already started the build. Again this is hopefully the first of many. Also with the advent of a new tuba I may be heading that route for the next pro audio sub. As for the build progress I have all the pieces rough cut for the 2 titans, I ran out of wood to make any headway on the THT plus I would like to get the T39s rolling first. I will get some pics next weekend as I start the assembly. Lessons learned today, figure out your cut patterns first, not on the fly as we could have saved a little wood and do one sub at a time to learn from your mistakes
I need more bass

CW Mcall

subharmonic

#11 Post by subharmonic »

Lesson learned, read kit description better at speakerhardware, somehow I missed there was drivers included *palmface myself*

New builders just buy the kit and save yourself trouble of running all over town looking for the right parts
I need more bass

CW Mcall

subharmonic

#12 Post by subharmonic »

I need more bass

CW Mcall

Chris_Allen

#13 Post by Chris_Allen »

I've never seen someone use a clock to break in their drivers before :lol:

I really like the look of a Titan build over any other....
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

sine143

#14 Post by sine143 »

very pretty cabs indeed.

Darn you people. Every build thread I look at has me going.... "I can carry a sheet of 4x8 ply on my moped."
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

subharmonic

#15 Post by subharmonic »

Chris_Allen wrote:I've never seen someone use a clock to break in their drivers before :lol:

:loler:

Well I was going to use my Frankie the singing fish but decided the clock is a better option.

There is always one in every crowd.
I need more bass

CW Mcall