Time for a new bass cab.

Preston

Time for a new bass cab.

#1 Post by Preston »

Last year I built two 28" 3012LF T39's, and a pair of OT12 with 3012HOs for use as live sound PA for my classic rock cover band. Right now I play bass through a Peavey T-Max head (500W/2ohm, 350W/4 ohm) into a 4 ohm Peavey 4x12 loaded with Black Widows. I have the plans for an O15, but I'm having second thoughts. I chose the T39 because of limited pack space, but I've since acquired an extended cargo van to carry gear. Now I'm considering building a pair of 3015LF T48's, and using the 3012LF for some kind of dedicated bass cab. For 90% of my gigs, the T-39's are more than sufficient, but it would be nice to have the T48's for the couple of outside shows we play each year.
The Peavey cab must go. I can barely pick the thing up. What would you do? Jacks? Omni? T39/OT12 combo? Build a few W10's and go ampless? There's just too many good options. :feedback:

Tom Smit

Re: Time for a new bass cab.

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Do you go through the PA? If you do, then a major cab might not be needed. Which leads me to a W10 for your monitor, indoors or out.
Build more T39s for modularity and KISS.
Or, use one T39 w/O12 for backline.
:cowboy:
TomS

Preston

#3 Post by Preston »

I'm always in the PA, and have tried going ampless a couple times with mixed results. Our current monitors are crap. I'll still always need an amp/cabinet of some sort for rehearsal/jams/sub gigs, etc. If I upgraded the band monitors with WH10's, would a T39+WH10 combo be an effective multipurpose solution when I'm subbing or jamming without PA?

pearcey

#4 Post by pearcey »

I may not be answering your needs exactly, but I can't recommend my O15TB enough. I suppose it depends on what sound you want, and it does give a clear, defined sound (but also responds really well to Eq if you want to reduce the treble, whatever)

I reckon as a sort of monitor/back up it would work really well; the band members say it's much easier to hear than the 4x10 and/or 1x15 (Labsystems) that it replaces, which tend to be muddier. The 'tall' part means the treble/mid are nearer your ears which is intended to impart this effect (I think).

I'm kinda keen to hear what adding a T39 to it would sound like....

Mikey

#5 Post by Mikey »

Your bass guitar rig should be chosen to meet your needs and desires. Do you need to keep-up with cranking stacks or half-stacks, or do you play with guys who use combos at reasonable volumes? Do you always need the same performance from a bass amp, or would a scalable, modular system better suit your varying needs? Would you rather have a one-cab solution, or multiple smaller/lighter cabs? Once you have answered these questions for yourself, your choices will be narrowed considerably.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Zack Brock

#6 Post by Zack Brock »

If you go through the PA, I too would also suggest building a Wedgehorn 10 with a DLII 2510 as your bass amp. You can use any decent bass amp head to power it and the sound is amazing.

For the PA build an additional Titan 39 for more subwoofer output. You should be able to feel and hear that while on stage.

In this setup, think of the Wedgehorn 10 as your bass cabinet rather than as a typical monitor wedge. You won't be powering it from your monitor amp(s), you'll be powering it with your own amp, much like you would a backline amp, and running a DI out of your amp to the PA. It essentially is a tilt-back bass cab in this scenario.
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

Preston

#7 Post by Preston »

Using a WH10 as a dedicated bass cabinet powered by a bass head is a solution that hadn't occured to me, but might just fit the bill both as a stage monitor when already in the PA, and also as a stand alone cabinet for small jams, rehearsal, etc. If I don't like it, I still have a damn fine wedge, and I was planning on building some eventually anyway.

I know from experience that T39+OT12 is pretty close to bass nirvana, if you happen to like loud, low, detailed, and articulate that is. :D

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#8 Post by Harley »

Preston wrote:I know from experience that T39+OT12 is pretty close to bass nirvana,.... :D
T39/DR250 is even closer :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.