'98 Explorer Sound

Drey Chennells

Re: '98 Explorer Sound

#46 Post by Drey Chennells »

sine143 wrote:oh.. hahaha, I saw the 4 complete, and I was like.... No way. in a vw bus, you might be able to fit 2 though?
lol yeah I figured. 2 would fit. This setup will be for the event only. The shopbus' system changes from show to show, work in progress as everything. I have 1 week to get the amp rack installed, build a j110 center console for midbass, and deaden the front sheetmetal.....
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

WiSounds

#47 Post by WiSounds »

2 24" THT with DVC 15s?

<3
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

DJPhatman

#48 Post by DJPhatman »

WiSounds wrote:2 24" THT with DVC 15s?

<3
I think Wi just orgasmed on his 'puter! :loler: :hyper:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

WiSounds

#49 Post by WiSounds »

Its good to see people doing things that are outside of the box. 2 THTs in a bus like that will smash it.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

wr_anders

#50 Post by wr_anders »

WiSounds wrote:needs moar update
I know, i know. It's been taking a bit longer to get started than we would have liked. Mostly the bank freezing the account, making it to where we cant get anymore wood screws after we found out we were short. :wall: My friend worked with the bank for a while while I got started.

I'm going to pull an all nighter to get this one done. :D I'm just too excited to stop. (EDIT: I'm too tired to get the braces put in and to be dealing with power tools. Panel 5 is in place, but no braces yet.)
Ive got the driver chamber done right now and I'm working on getting some braces cut so I can move on to panels 5, 6, & 7. I'll also get some pics posted in a few hours. I've been taking pics with my friend's Droid, but it's in his pocket and he's passed out, so I cat get to them now.

Also, heed Leland's warning: 28oz. PL tube are a freaking pain in the ass. Stick with the 10.8oz. tubes. Any money you save by by getting the 28s are burned in time being frustrated with it. :cussing:

Pics up soon, time for more brace cutting. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Also, the amp came in yesterday. It's a JL Audio GMAX 1200w monoblock. We already hooked it up and tested it with the subs free air. It's pretty bangin'. :D
LET THE BASS CANNON KICK IT
Amps this big are basically arc welders with an input.:lol:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

WiSounds

#51 Post by WiSounds »

Sick amp, a 500/1 and a 13w1v2 was what originally cracked my windshield.

Keep it goin man, but mind the details... don't get too overtaken by trying to get it done to where you get leaks.
facebook.com/wisounds

Drey Chennells

#52 Post by Drey Chennells »

WiSounds wrote:2 24" THT with DVC 15s?

<3
Yeah. These cabs have been so fun to build. We've built big horns before but i don't have to do any thinking, no prototypes. I will say without a doubt that the front panels are far better for us than the sides. I've built both. I should thank Wi for that. The flange we build in is so fast, so strong and we get one huge opening, 1 seal to make, and optimal location for terminal dish mounting (towards the wall). Highly recommended.

I'll be getting on my 10" midbass console Tuesday thats going to be a permanent install with 200x1 hifonics watts, yes mono.

So explorer man where ya at? I got your bass right here lol..
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

wr_anders

#53 Post by wr_anders »

Alright. :hyper:
The sub is finished! Got the last side panel on and generously PL'd (half of a 28oz tube). The bead was as wide as the ply. :D
I put a little more PL on the inner seams of the rear chamber to make sure that was good and tight. Going to leave the screws in because: 1.) I'm too lazy to try and take them all out, 2.) Why not? Its stronger. :cowboy:

And now for some photos. Not great quality, taken on phone. Didn't snap too many. Was working on it to much. :chainsaw:

First panel up.

Driver chamber done.

Folding done. Some of the side panels were too long and some were cut crooked. But hey, those flaps on the ends make pretty convenient handles when trying it move this behemoth around. I know the braces look kind of skimpy, but together, the all hold up very well and are very solid.

View from the front still without the last panel on. Was getting some last minute touch-up PL'ing in before the panel went on.

And here is the finished THT, minus mouth braces. Not sure if well add them, though I'm sure we will. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: and did I mention :hyper: ? :mrgreen:

I'm really excited to have finished this. But to people who might be wanting to build one of these, even at 33" wide, this thing is a hulking monstrosity and should not be underestimated. After having it built and seeing how large it is, I'm not sure it will even fit in the Explorer. :cry: But, alas, I will try. Might not be able to keep the seats up, which will probably be the deciding factor with his significant other, but we'll damn sure try. :fruit:
If not, then...well, hell if I know, I haven't thought things through that far yet. :mrgreen:

I'll upload pic of us trying to wrangle it in the truck later when it gets lighter out and a later. I don't think the other residents of his apartment building would appreciate a 7:30 wake up call of some Chase & Status like we would. :lol:

EDIT: Also, is there anyone near Tulsa, OK that has RTA gear? As I understand it, a dual-DVC THT hasn't been done before and I'd love to see a plot of this thing. I'm sure he won't mind an hour or so drive. He'd be blasting semi's the whole and loving it I'm sure. :mrgreen:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

wr_anders

#54 Post by wr_anders »

Also, if anyone cares, since we believe that this sub should be christened with a bottle of champagne at port, we have dubbed her
the U.S.S. Fatlady (Unhealthily Sub-Sonic Fatlady). :mrgreen:

This all came from a cigar shop. We picked up a couple Maker's Mark cigars and said we wouldn't smoke them until the Fatlady belches.
So the ridiculously awful name was born. Or awesome name. Depends on your sense of humor I guess. :lol:
Either way, after she is painted flat black, U.S.S. Fatlady will be stenciled in white on the back for everyone to see.
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

jcmbowman

#55 Post by jcmbowman »

One thing I noticed from the pictures - a distinct shortage of bracing. Remember - the bracing is not just for structural stability, it's to keep the panels from flexing and changing the response characteristics of the cabinet.

So you'll definitely want to put those mouth braces in.
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

wr_anders

#56 Post by wr_anders »

jcmbowman wrote:One thing I noticed from the pictures - a distinct shortage of bracing. Remember - the bracing is not just for structural stability, it's to keep the panels from flexing and changing the response characteristics of the cabinet.

So you'll definitely want to put those mouth braces in.
We noticed this. :lol:
We took a short spin with it and we played some dubstep. Panel 10 was flexing almost as much as the roof. :hyper:
So we're going to get the brace put together, glued in and go. But yeah, it definitely needs it.

Going to find a place that we can crank it after that so we can get some good video and I'll post them.
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

Tom Smit

#57 Post by Tom Smit »

Congrats on getting it done.
Did you put in braces for panel nine as well. If not. you could still add them before panel ten braces. (just rehearse it a few times before you put the PL on the brace to keep the mess to a minimum.)
TomS

wr_anders

#58 Post by wr_anders »

tammojsmit wrote:Congrats on getting it done.
Did you put in braces for panel nine as well. If not. you could still add them before panel ten braces. (just rehearse it a few times before you put the PL on the brace to keep the mess to a minimum.)
Thanks! I already got that set installed. Only the mouth doesn't have braces. 8 & 9 have really long braces, like they should be. The only reason the braces on the first few folds are so skimpy is those were made of what was originally supposed to be panel 5 braces, but the detentions were off, so they didn't work.
We're about to get the panels cut for the mouth and get them installed. 8)

But damn, even not cranked up due to missing braces, this thing is devastating. We parked in an old parking lot and played everything from old school bass (Techmaster PEB) to DnB and metal. The last song we played was 'Pathetic' by Lamb of God. We stopped because the windshield and the front windows were flexing too much for my liking. :wink:

Going down the highway, we blasted some Chase & Status and Datsik. With some of those sub drones, it just takes the breath out of you and really makes your chest hurt. :D

Also, Wi: I played that song you sent me. :shock: Dear... Lord... With that, according to my signature, there was enough bass. 9 kinds of more than enough. :twisted:

I'm just worried about getting one of these: :cop:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

tdogg

#59 Post by tdogg »

thats awesome! do you have a pic of :hyper: it installed?
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

WiSounds

#60 Post by WiSounds »

wr_anders wrote:Also, Wi: I played that song you sent me. :shock: Dear... Lord... With that, according to my signature, there was enough bass. 9 kinds of more than enough. :twisted:
That bass in Decibel is just plain nasty.

wr_anders wrote:I'm just worried about getting one of these: :cop:
Somehow, knock on wood, for all the systems I have had in my cars I haven't gotten a noise ordinance violation. Don't ask me how that happened lol

wr_anders wrote:Going down the highway, we blasted some Chase & Status and Datsik.
What tunes? Check Gizmo by DatSik, one of his better mixdowns.
facebook.com/wisounds