'98 Explorer Sound

wr_anders

'98 Explorer Sound

#1 Post by wr_anders »

Hi all!
Here in the next week, a friend and I are starting on a dual loaded THT for his '98 Ford Explorer.
Already got the plans and ordered the drivers and such.
Will post the build process as it "folds", and hopefully get some video when we're done.

Just a quick question: How would I go about figuring ply layout for a ~33" wide cab? Will be getting 4x8 Arauco. I can't seem to manage ply well figuring the layout on paper, or even in AutoCAD. I'd even be alright using a ply plan for a 36w and using the scrap as bracing.

Can't wait to melt some faces. :twisted:
Last edited by wr_anders on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET THE BASS CANNON KICK IT
Amps this big are basically arc welders with an input.:lol:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

Turntablist

Re: '98 Explorer Sound

#2 Post by Turntablist »

Why do you want to build such a big sub?
One of our members had a regular 25" wide THT with a driver that wont do as much noise as the recommended driver and yet he cracked the windshield.
I would NOT recommend you to build such a monster sub. If you do want to build a monster sub I wouldn't recommend you to build the THT, I'd recommend a double AT.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

wr_anders

#3 Post by wr_anders »

Well, drawback to that is the THT plans have already been purchased and the drivers ordered. :?

He wanted a system that was the best he could get for his budget and a go big or not at all situation. We are both aware of Wi's wind shield and we wouldn't have it at war volume without the windows down.
This build is also spawned from nobody doing it before (if someone has, we haven't found it).

All else fails, it'll turn out to be the start of his home theater. :D
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

WiSounds

#4 Post by WiSounds »

Turntablist wrote:Why do you want to build such a big sub?
One of our members had a regular 25" wide THT with a driver that wont do as much noise as the recommended driver and yet he cracked the windshield.
I would NOT recommend you to build such a monster sub. If you do want to build a monster sub I wouldn't recommend you to build the THT, I'd recommend a double AT.

So it is confirmed that such a monster sub will fit in his vehicle, and one monster sub will outperform direct radiators that take up more room and alot more money so why the hell not?

Sick project.

Having done it, I fully endorse the dual THT for use in an Explorer, you can rattle stuff inside a bar parked outside with a single 15 and 300w.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

wr_anders

#5 Post by wr_anders »

WiSounds wrote:Having done it, I fully endorse the dual THT for use in an Explorer, you can rattle stuff inside a bar parked outside with a single 15 and 300w.
I'm hoping to this'll do shittons more. Dual 15"s in parallel on ~ 1kw. I'm worried the truck won't survive the ordeal. :D
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

jcmbowman

#6 Post by jcmbowman »

wr_anders wrote:I'm hoping to this'll do shittons more. Dual 15"s in parallel on ~ 1kw. I'm worried the truck won't survive the ordeal. :D
I'd be more concerned whether your ears will survive the ordeal. (And I'm not joking about this. With that kind of output in an enclosed space like that you could almost instantly cause permanent hearing damage, if not full-out loss. Please be careful - one pop or click with the amp on full and you could regret it for the rest of your life.)
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

Radian

#7 Post by Radian »

jcmbowman wrote:Please be careful - one pop or click with the amp on full and you could regret it for the rest of your life.)
+1 Amen brotha.
wr_anders wrote: I'm worried the truck won't survive the ordeal.
You should be.
wr_anders wrote:Dual 15"s in parallel on ~ 1kw.
You'll never get that much power into them before you shit yourself.
wr_anders wrote:and we wouldn't have it at war volume without the windows down.
Won't matter...truck will still fall apart at war volume.

Sorry for the drunken responses, but I't s been a good night for me. :chainsaw:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

wr_anders

#8 Post by wr_anders »

Thanks for the concern guys. I feel I'm pretty well prepared for it. :D
What can I say, I love music too much to be that stupid. :wink:
Besides, losing my hearing at 18 is not my idea of a full life. :hyper:

I'm doubling up on protection. I've got a bag of ear plugs that are given out to tarmac personnel (courtesy of a USAF F-16 mechanic), and on top of that, I'm taking the headset I use at the gun range. I think this should be plenty, or am I be mistaken?

And also in my handy-dandy sound survival pack, a bottle of Pepto to combat nausea. :lol:
Hopefully we can get this thing into some competitions. :chainsaw:
Radian wrote:You'll never get that much power into them before you shit yourself.
I think I should start a BFM QOTD book. :loler:
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

tmodelli

#9 Post by tmodelli »

wr_anders wrote:Thanks for the concern guys. I feel I'm pretty well prepared for it. :D
Ear Plugges are rated between -15-to-30DB, the muflers are beteen -20/-30DB. Sp yeah, that might work! :)

WiSounds

#10 Post by WiSounds »

Radian wrote:Sorry for the drunken responses, but I't s been a good night for me. :chainsaw:

Be careful, a few of my more memorable posts have been in this situation haha

facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

Gauss

#11 Post by Gauss »

I attended a loud concert in high school where the bass seemed to resonate within my chest. I threw up a couple times, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the bass. No alcohol was involved. Bring barf bags with your ear plugs. It was that great industrial classic, KMFDM, in Detroit's State Theater.
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39

Monomer

#12 Post by Monomer »

Gauss wrote:I attended a loud concert in high school where the bass seemed to resonate within my chest. I threw up a couple times, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the bass. No alcohol was involved. Bring barf bags with your ear plugs. It was that great industrial classic, KMFDM, in Detroit's State Theater.
oddly enough, the hearing damage that I have is from that venue. (now called the Filmore)

311 show, back in their prime; the "From Chaos" tour.

I love the pit in that venue. Saw Kraftwerk there a few years back :cowboy:
-AutoTuba; Tang Band 8 inch (x1)
-T39; KappliteLF, 22 wide (x2)
-More to come!

Drey Chennells

#13 Post by Drey Chennells »

I support you 100. If people don't go beyond whats ordinary then we'd never have extraordinary.

I've just tested (not measured) 1 TAT19/10" hooked up in the shopbus (240 watts) and it's real nice. spl comparable to 2 of the AP12", sound quality and final 20-30hz extension MUCH better imo. But I used the 3 AP 12"s for the recent demo at Winterjam in Daytona because 1 TAT alone cant do what I need it to spl wise and lets be fair, I'm talking about 1 10"! So I have 2 more planned and that should smash fully.

If you're not ready for the bass bus 3 TAT demo please step back..

lol
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

wr_anders

#14 Post by wr_anders »

Finally got the tracking number for the subs. For some reason, the number FedEx gave me was also used in an order that went to Dublin, OH. So checking the progress when I was initially given the number said it was delivered and on my doorstep... 7 months ago. lol

But anyways, when they get here, I was planning on breaking them in with my 300w Crate bass head. First bass amp I bought and still alive and kicking!

Would the 300 watts be enough to break in 2 DVCs? Or should I do one at a time? I don't have a multimeter to check for 10v, so I think it'll be a guessing game. I've seen where some have just got it up to a hefty amount of excursion. Is that sufficient?

Will start the photo log when the subs get here.
   Done   
Dual-15" THT
Dual-10" Auto Tuba
Dual-8" T18
Straight SLAs x2

Drey Chennells

#15 Post by Drey Chennells »

I'm able to get 10v out of a $40 T chip amp. Your amp will do more than break in. Wire them both up and get a good half inch excursion out of each at 20-30hz for 24hours, that's plenty.
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com