Hello Everyone..!Mobile DJ need your help :))

mcmarte

Hello Everyone..!Mobile DJ need your help :))

#1 Post by mcmarte »

Hello guys..I'm a new meber of this cool forum!
Im reading it from days & days and now i decide to register!
I write from Italy and i wanted ask you some advices (I used the Searh button..but i didn't find exactly a topic that answered to all my questions).
I was looking for a powerfull couple of FULL RANGE plus Two Really Powerfull SubWoofers.
I work some times like a dj for private party in restaurant, pub, clubs (not so huge spaces) etc etc. and some times i play in big places outdoor (and I need Powerrr).
Actually i have an homemade subwoofer hornloaded that mount a 15" CIARE woofer 400 watt rms 4ohm (but consider that the subwoffer amp is only 250 watt rms), and two couple of active fullrange monitors (not so powerfull 150 Watt Rms each), and this configuration is not still enough for an "indoor" setup..so I really need to improve the FullRange musical power and the Subs too because i need the typical "Disco" punch when i play Hip Hop, and Dance Music (and with my actual system i don't have that)!
So I was looking for a couple of Titan 39 (that for me..would be more confortable to trasport then tuba 30 or other tuba models) and a couple of DR200 that i red is complicated to built, and i don't want spent so many many time to built them so i was thinking to built a couple of Omni Top 15!
what do you suggest me??
do you think a similar configuration would works fine ??
thank you.
Built: 2x "20" T39 Eminence Kappalite 3012LF loaded

Gregory East

Re: Hello Everyone..!Mobile DJ need your help :))

#2 Post by Gregory East »

It sounds like you want to have a "small quiet rig" that will scale up to a badarse outside gig rig. And don't want to do DR. The O15 is a whole lot of speaker but I don't think anyone runs them with subs. That's a waste of power capacity. You have the 15 in the omni half idle as it crossed over the subs. EDIT: sorry I misread your choice of omni!

If you post the specs on the ciare 15 you might get an answer on whether it is a good driver for a t48. Then you might think about doing a single one of them. A bit of a pain to drag around to small gigs but when you want to go really big then you only need one more.

My suggestion: Otop 12 and use 2 and a single sub for the small gigs. Bring 4 and as many subs as you can carry and power for the big stuff.
Last edited by Gregory East on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum mcmarte!

The OT15 will work and is about 2~3db stronger than the OT12 across the range and also stronger at 100 hz. But the OT12 has a smoother response, and is a smaller,lighter box. Your choice. Build four.

Of the T39, build four at a width that you can handle.

This will allow you to take as much as is needed for each gig.
TomS

SoundInMotionDJ

#4 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Depending on the number of "small" events you play...the Jack 110 or Jack 112 might also be good choices for full range & top duty. The Jack has the ability to provide sufficient bass to be used without subs, and can handle most "background" music opportunities with just a pair on sticks. When you move to bigger events, the Jacks can be combined with T39's for added low end support. I would seriously consider the Jack if even 1/3 of your events do not normally need subs.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

mcmarte

#5 Post by mcmarte »

thank you everybody guys :clap: ! The point is that at list I would want bring with me a Sub to every gig i do...to have a good punch on the basses and two or "four" (i never considered this last option) good fullrange monitors!
now i chosed T39 because is shorter then T49 and so..more confertable to trasnport.
I would want build two T39 and pilot them with a decent AMP ( I was looking for this one http://www.thomann.de/it/t-amp_ta2400.htm that is really cheap and powerfull)!Onestly I don't want use the CIARE woofer for the T39 or T49, but buy two "new" eminence woofers, one for each sub!
The only big doubt now are the FullRange monitors!
I'm ok building cabinets (I have every tool to build them), so I can consider a couple of DR200 (I hope in the project there is no tilted wood...that would be a problem for me eheheh, because from the picture everything looks symmetric!).
My question is: there is so much difference between OmniTop 15 Bass/Key/PA Cab and DR200???
what about...the Jack 110 that SoundInMotion suggested me??can i stacking 4 of them?? or the just works alone???
thank to everybody guys! :clap:

Gregory East

#6 Post by Gregory East »

We should be a careful to make sure we are talking about the same things.

Full range tops are tops that do enough bass frequencies by themselves to be useful without subs. DR200 don't go low enough to be called full range. Neither do Otop12.
mcmarte wrote:The point is that at list I would want bring with me a Sub to every gig i do..
I think you mean bring at least one sub every gig? So yes, you would be good with dr200's if you can build them.

Otops and Jacks sit nicely in a stack. DRs are a little bit of work to use in a two speaker stack as they are sloped to use in a J array of 3 or 4 a side.

mcmarte

#7 Post by mcmarte »

Gregory East wrote:We should be a careful to make sure we are talking about the same things.
Full range tops are tops that do enough bass frequencies by themselves to be useful without subs. DR200 don't go low enough to be called full range. Neither do Otop12.
you're right! So I don't need two fullrange because i want use 2 monitors with the subs!
Gregory East wrote: I think you mean bring at least one sub every gig? So yes, you would be good with dr200's if you can build them.
Otops and Jacks sit nicely in a stack. DRs are a little bit of work to use in a two speaker stack as they are sloped to use in a J array of 3 or 4 a side.
yeah sorry for my bad english...i did mean excatly "at least"! so now i have to decide between DR200/280 and OmniTop15 or Jacks!....hard decision :chainsaw:

mcmarte

#8 Post by mcmarte »

ps i was considering to built two 250 maybe too...
but 200, 250, 280...are hard to built...and im not afraid about the difficulty (I have a carpenter uncle), but about the time i would spend to make them!

Turntablist

#9 Post by Turntablist »

I apologize if I missed it somewhere in your posts but what kinds of music will you be using your rig for?

As for tops, I think the DR280 and the OT15 are way too big for your needs, the Jacks are fullrange tops so they aren't what you are looking for either. I think something along the line of DR200, DR250 or OT12 will suit you better. It all depends on your demands on output.

How many do you plan to use your rig for?

Cheers
// Robin.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

mcmarte

#10 Post by mcmarte »

I play RNB/HIP HOP (Yes in italy we play this kind of music too eheheh), and Club Music (HOUSE, MINIMAL, etc etc).
Some time i work in places with not more then 100 people (so i woulnd not need so much power), but many times i play in places indoor and outdoor with 300-500 poeple (and there i need power).
Actually I'm looking for a "modular" system.
I'm reading this forum from days and yes I was considering to build something like the DR200 - DR250 (280 is too big for my needs you're right!!), or a couple of OT12 or OT15 (why do you think the OT15 are too big for my needs ?).
The Idea is to build a couple of Tops (and maybe in the future add more) and a couple of subs (T39 are perfect for my needs)!

Turntablist

#11 Post by Turntablist »

mcmarte wrote:I play RNB/HIP HOP (Yes in italy we play this kind of music too eheheh), and Club Music (HOUSE, MINIMAL, etc etc).
Some time i work in places with not more then 100 people (so i woulnd not need so much power), but many times i play in places indoor and outdoor with 300-500 poeple (and there i need power).
Actually I'm looking for a "modular" system.
I'm reading this forum from days and yes I was considering to build something like the DR200 - DR250 (280 is too big for my needs you're right!!), or a couple of OT12 or OT15 (why do you think the OT15 are too big for my needs ?).
The Idea is to build a couple of Tops (and maybe in the future add more) and a couple of subs (T39 are perfect for my needs)!
If you are going to play house, rnb and such genres I would recommend you not to pick the T39, the T39 is designed to handle the needs of a typical rock band or such, rock does not have the kind of low end output that house or rnb has. You need a design that can handle lower frequencys.
I suggest that you take a second look at the T48, the T48 can be built as narrow as 18" so it can be made smaller than the T48 represented on the website.
If the T48 is still too big I suggest you take a look at the T30.
The T30/T48 has the kind of low output that you need. The T48 is the better one but also the bigger one, if you can't handle the size of the smallest T48 is suggest you go with the T30.

The OT15 weighs as much as the DR280 and is a total bitch to get on top of a stand. Two DR200s actually weighs less than one OT15 so they are much easier to handle! Two OT12s weighs just about as much as one OT15.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

mcmarte

#12 Post by mcmarte »

Turntablist wrote: If you are going to play house, rnb and such genres I would recommend you not to pick the T39, the T39 is designed to handle the needs of a typical rock band or such, rock does not have the kind of low end output that house or rnb has. You need a design that can handle lower frequencys.
If the T48 is still too big I suggest you take a look at the T30.
Damn...honestly i didn't know this...I mean I looked at T39 and T48 chart comparison and i didn't noticed a so huge difference except for the Db Output offcourse. But yes i red on the website the Tuba30 is designed for djs and that kind of music!
Titan48 is too big for me..and the problem is not the width but the height. 48 inches or 1,2 european meters are too much for my car! I would have to buy a truck eheheh!
Turntablist wrote: The OT15 weighs as much as the DR280 and is a total bitch to get on top of a stand. Two DR200s actually weighs less than one OT15 so they are much easier to handle! Two OT12s weighs just about as much as one OT15.
but about performance and power the best option would be DR250 right? or DR250 is too much for my needs? maybe i would have consider to build a couple of DR200 and in the future maybe other two..if I will need a power increase on top!
I'm only afraid to build two DR200 and discover that is not enough for me... so I would have to build another couple (when i could build a couple of DR250 saving time!!).
OT12s would be a good easy way..to exit from this tunnel eheheh! :feedback:

DJPhatman

#13 Post by DJPhatman »

mcmarte wrote:Damn...honestly i didn't know this...I mean I looked at T39 and T48 chart comparison and i didn't noticed a so huge difference except for the Db Output offcourse. But yes i red on the website the Tuba30 is designed for djs and that kind of music!
Titan48 is too big for me..and the problem is not the width but the height. 48 inches or 1,2 european meters are too much for my car! I would have to buy a truck eheheh!.... but about performance and power the best option would be DR250 right? or DR250 is too much for my needs? maybe i would have consider to build a couple of DR200 and in the future maybe other two..if I will need a power increase on top!
I'm only afraid to build two DR200 and discover that is not enough for me... so I would have to build another couple (when i could build a couple of DR250 saving time!!).
OT12s would be a good easy way..to exit from this tunnel eheheh! :feedback:
First off, T39 WILL handle the music you play. What it won't handle is the below 35Hz content. If you are dead set on getting the 10-35Hz out of the House/DnB/Dub, you WILL NEED very large subs, either the T36 or the THT. Small, loud or low. You get to pick 2.

As for the transportation issue, For outdoor crowds of 500, you need an awfully big car. You may want to consider either a van or a trailer.

As for DR200 vs. DR250, build the one you want to carry around with you after the gig. All the DR series sound fantastic, you just need to pick a size. DR200 Suggested Audience Size: Two cabs to 150; four cabs 100-300; six cabs 250-500; eight cabs 400-1000. DR250 Suggested Audience Size in PA Applications: Two cabs to 200; four cabs 150-400; six cabs 300-600; eight cabs 500-1,000. Not a big difference, so you will need 4 of either DR2XX. As far as OT12, they are bigger yet, and you will need 6-8 total, to equal the sound of the DR series.

I highly recommend you cut and tape some cardboard boxes into the dimensions of all of the cabs you are considering, and in the number that you will need. Try to pack them in your auto.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

mcmarte

#14 Post by mcmarte »

DJPhatman wrote: First off, T39 WILL handle the music you play. What it won't handle is the below 35Hz content. If you are dead set on getting the 10-35Hz out of the House/DnB/Dub, you WILL NEED very large subs.
thanks Phatman...but honestly i don't think that i would like too many 10/30hz frequencies on my gigs!
I'm not a sound engineer but i work in a recording studio like artistic producer every day...and I produce Hip Hop Music and Dance Music too and there is nothing interesting on that range of frequencies for me! 10-35Hz are really low frequencies; ok we are talkin about subs, but in the music I produce, except for some 808-909 roland kicks (used in the actual dirtysouth hip hop productions), there is nothing that goes lower then 30hz!
so really I'm not interested to a sub that is massive in the 10-35hz spectrum because i think that the real "punch" of every song i will play is higher on frequencies! So if the T48 wins on T39 for that reason, honestly I don't care...or better still..I don't need that sub!
Of course this is my experience in a Recording Studio (where you have a perfect acoustic treatment of the room), I don't know if is the same for live; Actually I don't think there is a so huge difference;
rather ,if BassTraps can absorb that very low frequencies in a recording studio, I think you would have many problems, like resound for example, in a big indoor area with zero acoustic treatment!
and Im pretty much sure that adding 1dB over 10-30 Hz frequencies is more dangerous "acoustically" then adding 1db on the 50-100hz frequencies for example!
ok if there is zero acoustic treatment you will always have many resound/boom problems on the middle bass frequencies and maybe many reflection on the high, but I don't know why I'm not attracted from frequencies that go lower then 30Hz. But maybe I'm completly wrong!
DJPhatman wrote: As for DR200 vs. DR250, build the one you want to carry around with you after the gig. All the DR series sound fantastic, you just need to pick a size. DR200 Suggested Audience Size: Two cabs to 150; four cabs 100-300; six cabs 250-500; eight cabs 400-1000. DR250 Suggested Audience Size in PA Applications: Two cabs to 200; four cabs 150-400; six cabs 300-600; eight cabs 500-1,000. Not a big difference, so you will need 4 of either DR2XX. As far as OT12, they are bigger yet, and you will need 6-8 total, to equal the sound of the DR series.
you're right.. infact now i have only to decide which DR2xx build; 200 or 250. because OT12 is more easy to make...but i would need at least 4
thanks and sorry for my english!

Turntablist

#15 Post by Turntablist »

DJPhatman wrote: First off, T39 WILL handle the music you play. What it won't handle is the below 35Hz content. If you are dead set on getting the 10-35Hz out of the House/DnB/Dub, you WILL NEED very large subs, either the T36 or the THT. Small, loud or low. You get to pick 2.
He doesn't want anything bigger than a T30 or a T39 so it's down to those two. Here's a chart comparing the two:
As you can see the T39 has more sensitivity than the T30 above 37hz but it can't take full power lower than to 45hz while the T30 can handle full power down to 35hz so the T39 won't be able to play any louder than the T30 under 40hz or so. At 35hz the T30 would outdo the T39 by 10db or so, which is a LOT.
mcmarte's music contains a lot of info in this range so the T30 is the way to go. I'd say four of them would cover his needs.
As for the transportation issue, For outdoor crowds of 500, you need an awfully big car. You may want to consider either a van or a trailer.
+1 on the trailer.
As for DR200 vs. DR250, build the one you want to carry around with you after the gig. All the DR series sound fantastic, you just need to pick a size. DR200 Suggested Audience Size: Two cabs to 150; four cabs 100-300; six cabs 250-500; eight cabs 400-1000. DR250 Suggested Audience Size in PA Applications: Two cabs to 200; four cabs 150-400; six cabs 300-600; eight cabs 500-1,000. Not a big difference, so you will need 4 of either DR2XX. As far as OT12, they are bigger yet, and you will need 6-8 total, to equal the sound of the DR series.
DJPhatman, the OT12 is not bigger than either DR and you wont need 6-8 of them to equal the output.
The OT12 and the DR200 are just as big, about just as heavy and make comparable amounts of noice. The differences are that the OT12 can't form a J-array and it will cost more to build but it will be faster to build. Make a pick.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired