Pair of Jack 10s in Oakland, CA, USA

dreysgroove

Pair of Jack 10s in Oakland, CA, USA

#1 Post by dreysgroove »

Hey Everybody, I'm excited to find this community, and Bill's designs. I've started my first build, a pair of Jack 10s with Deltalite 2510s and full melded tweeter arrays for bass guitar. Why full arrays for bass? I don't know!! Maybe I'll use them for PA later, or maybe I just like the idea of the truest possible sound reproduction.
My old rig was an Eden Roadrunner, Eden 2x10 and 1x15 XLT cabs. I've been longing for less weight and more accuracy. I think I'm about to get it!
I'll let you know how it goes. Should finish in a week. Anyone using these cabs in the Bay Area? I'd love to hear from you!
Alex
Attachments
Old rig, new rig.
Old rig, new rig.

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

Re: Pair of Jack 10s in Oakland, CA, USA

#2 Post by Harley »

dreysgroove wrote:...I've started my first build, a pair of Jack 10s with Deltalite 2510s and full melded tweeter arrays for bass guitar....
I'll let you know how it goes. Should finish in a week. ...
Be sure to give those 2510s 24 hrs solid break in at 30Hz before loading them. It makes a word of difference.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

Harley wrote:
dreysgroove wrote:...I've started my first build, a pair of Jack 10s with Deltalite 2510s and full melded tweeter arrays for bass guitar....
I'll let you know how it goes. Should finish in a week. ...
Be sure to give those 2510s 24 hrs solid break in at 30Hz before loading them. It makes a word of difference.
+100
To make then less noisey while breaking them in, put them face to face, wired in parallel, amp to the 1st driver + to+, - to -, then jumper from the 1st driver to the 2nd + To - and - to +, out-of-phase.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

dreysgroove

#4 Post by dreysgroove »

Thanks for the advice about break-in. I will download a tone generator today and see if I can hook that up. Did I see somewhere that I should check the output from the amp with a multimeter and set the volume knob so the 30 Hz signal registers 10.5 volts at the speaker wires? Is that right?

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

dreysgroove wrote:Thanks for the advice about break-in. I will download a tone generator today and see if I can hook that up. Did I see somewhere that I should check the output from the amp with a multimeter and set the volume knob so the 30 Hz signal registers 10.5 volts at the speaker wires? Is that right?
Yup!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

AntonZ

#6 Post by AntonZ »

And make sure to set your meter for AC voltage. There shouldn't be any DC even with much higher output voltage amplified from a tone generator, could fry your new driver without measuring much when it's set to DC.

Rickisan

#7 Post by Rickisan »

Always best to err on the side of caution when applying voltage. Better too little as opposed to too much. When you are sure you're getting a little of the correct voltage then bring it up to the desired level. etc etc etc... YMMV

:fingers:
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

dreysgroove

#8 Post by dreysgroove »

I started the break-in yesterday... put a 30 Hz sine wave one hour long on an ipod. Pumped that through my Eden 600 Roadrunner head, wired the 10"s in parallel, hung them up. Found the position of the volume knob where the output was 10.5 volts AC (Master all the way up, gain at half way, way higher than I'd ever use at a gig!). Turned the master volume down, connected the woofers, eased up the volume knob with sine wave playing. Seems about the right amount of cone excursion, but my amp is working waaaaaaay too hard... I don't think it likes the 4 ohm load. The amp's cooling fan came on and stayed on. So I'm going to try again tomorrow, with the woofers split, one per side. That should work better. I never would have guessed my amp would have to work so hard to produce the required voltage.

WB

#9 Post by WB »

dreysgroove wrote: Seems about the right amount of cone excursion, but my amp is working waaaaaaay too hard... I don't think it likes the 4 ohm load. The amp's cooling fan came on and stayed on.
I think the amp was coasting, the fan was causing a scene. :P
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

Rickisan

#10 Post by Rickisan »

Keep in mind the spkr will "Break In", through normal usage, on it's own over time. Ease back on the voltage reading until you are comfortable with the heat output of the amp!!!!!!!!
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

dreysgroove

#11 Post by dreysgroove »

I split the speakers into one-per-channel, and now the amp is happier. World's loudest cooling fan, this thing has. Definitely causing a scene. Hour two of break-in underway. :)

dreysgroove

#12 Post by dreysgroove »

Finished! :hyper:
I'll post again in Reviews after I've had a chance to gig with them. Overall, I'm really happy with the look and sound. Fun project!
I was all excited to take them on tour to LA and San Diego this weekend with my band Luce, but I just found out backline is provided (and required) on all three gigs. Usually I'd be thrilled about that, because I don't have to load in, but now I'm bummed that I can't test my new toys!
Attachments
finishedjacksfront2small.JPG

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You'll want a switch to turn off the tweeters is the lower cab, otherwise the vertical dispersion of the highs will be so narrow that you'll have a hard time hearing the highs on stage.

dreysgroove

#14 Post by dreysgroove »

Bill, I have a DPDT on/half/off on both cabs. Are you saying leave them off all the time on the lower cabinet?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#15 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

dreysgroove wrote:Bill, I have a DPDT on/half/off on both cabs. Are you saying leave them off all the time on the lower cabinet?
They'll probably sound better that way. Vertical dispersion with both HF arrays active would run around 5 degrees. You may find only half an array in the top cab will give the best result.