Who's building in LA or OC area?

gilscales

Who's building in LA or OC area?

#1 Post by gilscales »

I am a new builder and after only one T18 I am hooked/addicted to this as a hobby, I have a pair of jacks I am building now and several builds planed from PA to an XF12 to HT builds and am looking for someone who wants to build but might not have the tools, I have what is now a hobby/storage shop in Bellflower and live in Seal Beach, all the tool/space needed and am hoping to find someone with DR experience, Gil
Built; T18, 2 x J110 2510II MA

Ron Anchak

Re: Who's building in LA or OC area?

#2 Post by Ron Anchak »

Hi Gil, I'm located in the Palm Springs area. Thought I would say hello, Ron

gilscales

#3 Post by gilscales »

Hey Ron, how are you, See you are a new member to the forum like me, have you built any yet? got to be some other builders out here in So Cal don't you think?

Ron Anchak

#4 Post by Ron Anchak »

Hi Gil, I haven't built any cabs yet, I'm still trying to figure out where to start. I think I am going to go after the DJ crowd, there aren't any big bands out here and the musicians don't make any money playing so I think I would have more lookers than buyers. I guess maybe O 12s, DR250s and T39s is where I'll start. I think this will cover DJs and maybe a band if I can get some interests. Where do you get your BB? I have a place locally I'm going to check out on Monday, but I don't think they will have what we use. There's a place in Riverside, Culver City and Poicoma that I will check with, it would be nice to get material a little closer to home. Hopefully we won't get too many builders in our areas!

gilscales

#5 Post by gilscales »

Ron Anchak wrote:Hi Gil, I haven't built any cabs yet, I'm still trying to figure out where to start. I think I am going to go after the DJ crowd, there aren't any big bands out here and the musicians don't make any money playing so I think I would have more lookers than buyers. I guess maybe O 12s, DR250s and T39s is where I'll start. I think this will cover DJs and maybe a band if I can get some interests. Where do you get your BB? I have a place locally I'm going to check out on Monday, but I don't think they will have what we use. There's a place in Riverside, Culver City and Poicoma that I will check with, it would be nice to get material a little closer to home. Hopefully we won't get too many builders in our areas!
I am lucky as there are 2 plywood specialty stores within about 10 miles of me and they are next door to each other in cerritos and across the street in la palma , I'm afraid that is still about 110 miles from you though, I pay about $44 a sheet for 4x8 bbb baltic 12mm ply and can get the shop grade for about $35 but it is a little rough looking so I figured for all the work that goes into them and the fact I am constructing them for myself I went for the better grade, I really don't see myself as an authorized builder as I tend to fuss over the joints and accuracy to much to turn a profit, but for me I'll go the extra mile!

Ron Anchak

#6 Post by Ron Anchak »

Gil is is Royal or Cal Panel? I would like to find somewhere closer to me just so I wouldn't have to buy a large quantity of wood and store it.

gilscales

#7 Post by gilscales »

Ron Anchak wrote:Gil is is Royal or Cal Panel? I would like to find somewhere closer to me just so I wouldn't have to buy a large quantity of wood and store it.
I use Cal Panel in Cerritos and Forest Plywood in La Palma the websites are calpanel.com and forestplywood.com I don't know where Royal is?

gilscales

#8 Post by gilscales »

Hey Ron, I just looked at Royal's website and they claim to have the largest selection (under one roof) 150k sq. ft. so maybe they are better priced? I will check all three places next time as Cal Panel had the 4x8 shop grade at $35 and Forest had the BBB grade at about $44 I don't know why I have'nt shoped at Royal but if you did make the trip down they are so close to each other you could visit them all no problem.

Ron Anchak

#9 Post by Ron Anchak »

I was just over that way on Tuesday. Do you ask if they sell wholesale? I know most of the places will give you a discount once you fill out a tax exempt form. I'm going to check out Coachella Valley Hardwood, I'm hoping since we have alot of high end homes out here that they will have some quality BB.

Ben Esparza

#10 Post by Ben Esparza »

Gil,

I'm in Pico Rivera and I have all the tools in my too cluttered garage. I'm on the verge of building a Jack 110 for URB. I just bought some pine 1/2" ply at Lowes. They didn't have any of the Arauco that's been mentioned from time to time on the board. It's good on one side and will probably take a carpet covering with no problem. Contact me via PM so we can excahnge phone numbers.

Big Ben

jswingchun

#11 Post by jswingchun »

Ben Esparza wrote:Gil,

I'm in Pico Rivera and I have all the tools in my too cluttered garage. I'm on the verge of building a Jack 110 for URB. I just bought some pine 1/2" ply at Lowes. They didn't have any of the Arauco that's been mentioned from time to time on the board. It's good on one side and will probably take a carpet covering with no problem. Contact me via PM so we can excahnge phone numbers.

Big Ben
Make sure there is not a thin veneer outer layer on the ply! We don't avoid veneered plywood because it looks bad, we avoid it because the veneer can break free from the ply and your joints can split. Probably not as big a deal on a J110 as it would be on a larger cab, but be aware of the issue at least.
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

scornil01

#12 Post by scornil01 »

Hey Gil

My name is Sean and I am from downtown LA area. I've built a couple myself such as the autotuba which was my first and the dr200. I'm not gonna lie, since I'm not really a good woodworker the DRs were pretty hard. And for some reason the aruco (I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) I got from lowes was really warped so it made it harder. I'm planning on building some t36's and some O12/15 for my dj setup.

gilscales

#13 Post by gilscales »

scornil01 wrote:Hey Gil

My name is Sean and I am from downtown LA area. I've built a couple myself such as the autotuba which was my first and the dr200. I'm not gonna lie, since I'm not really a good woodworker the DRs were pretty hard. And for some reason the aruco (I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) I got from lowes was really warped so it made it harder. I'm planning on building some t36's and some O12/15 for my dj setup.
what kind of shop/tools do you have? I want to build a couple dr250's and my shop with all the tools/clamps needed are in Bellflower or about 15 miles from you, I know where to get the Baltic Birch and at $44 a sheet it is worth the extra money, when do you plan on building?

scornil01

#14 Post by scornil01 »

I don't really have much. I jus borrowed a skill saw and a jigsaw.I'll Probably start building soon. It's hard to find time tho. I go to csun tues- fri and I work in Palmdale fri-sun. I jus gotta get the plans for the tubas and otops. I'm on facebook. Jus look up Sean Cornillez. Oh yea wat dimensions does the birch come in?

gilscales

#15 Post by gilscales »

scornil01 wrote:I don't really have much. I jus borrowed a skill saw and a jigsaw.I'll Probably start building soon. It's hard to find time tho. I go to csun tues- fri and I work in Palmdale fri-sun. I jus gotta get the plans for the tubas and otops. I'm on facebook. Jus look up Sean Cornillez. Oh yea wat dimensions does the birch come in?
I get the 4 x 8 in 12mm BBB grade for the $44 a sheet they also have shop grade for $35 a sheet and you can get the 5 x 5 sheets but I am not sure on the price