#16 Post by Scott Brochu »

Good job!
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

pearcey

Re: O15TB build in Perth, Western Australia

#17 Post by pearcey »

Primer on. The hardware shop only sold white primer, so I got that and coloured it grey with some black paint:

pearcey

#18 Post by pearcey »

Basically finished this now - I've never soldered anything before, but it all seems to work OK.

I've put an aluminium flyscreen-type sheet on the mid and bass baffles. This rattles annoyingly when I play a low B at volume. I don't often play a really loud low B, (C is as low as any of my current playlist goes), but I'd kind of like to if I wanted to.

Can't really decide what to do about it; the bass screen is primarily to protect from 1-year old hands, and I think that the horn design would protect from most handling-type accidents. They're both screwed on pretty well with multiple screws.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did glueing it help? I suppose I need to decide before the weekend when I screw the access-cover on. Bit of a pain taking the driver off then unscrewing the grille too.

bzb

#19 Post by bzb »

Bit of thin carpet or weather stripping between the screen and the wood should do the trick.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10
Powered by XTi 1000 & 2000

pearcey

#20 Post by pearcey »

Cheers - That worked perfectly; no rattling and expensive drivers still safe from small hands (and thrown beer bottles).

pearcey

#21 Post by pearcey »

Outside painted with 2 coats of Rockard, external hardware on and inside carpeted (the latter an unexpectedly satisfying job):

Potential expensive driver-perforating 1 year old in shot:

Wiring in - put them on the cross braces for ease of access/soldering. All a bit messy, but seem secure:

Finished product with amp on

Access cover on. All still needs a bit of cosmetic touching up but ready for band practice tonight.

Initial testing sounds amazing. Really loud and clear, much more so than my 1x10 or 1x15. Versatile too; turned the treble down 25% on the amp and sounded perfect for blues, but when flat an absolute slap-monster.

I'll post sound samples, reviews when I've broken it in and compared it directly.

Tom Smit

#22 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap: :clap: Nice build.
Now we're waiting for the review! :D
TomS

DJPhatman

#23 Post by DJPhatman »

And don't forget to put thick isolator lining inside. A single layer of carpet, IMHO, is not enough to stop internal reflections. Foam mattress pad, not the memory foam. Should be available at any cheap department store.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

wounded horse

#24 Post by wounded horse »

That head and cab look like a match made in heaven. I believe Koch - Netherlands? - made the Eden V300 All tube head under licence. The Harmony central reviews all say get one if you can afford one and keep it.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#25 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJPhatman wrote:And don't forget to put thick isolator lining inside. A single layer of carpet, IMHO, is not enough to stop internal reflections. Foam mattress pad, not the memory foam. Should be available at any cheap department store.
High density carpet underlayment is just fine for lining the cab.

DJPhatman

#26 Post by DJPhatman »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
DJPhatman wrote:And don't forget to put thick isolator lining inside. A single layer of carpet, IMHO, is not enough to stop internal reflections. Foam mattress pad, not the memory foam. Should be available at any cheap department store.
High density carpet underlayment is just fine for lining the cab.
All I see is a thin carpet inside. The OP even said carpet.
pearcey wrote:Outside painted with 2 coats of Rockard, external hardware on and inside carpeted (the latter an unexpectedly satisfying job):
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

bitSmasher

#27 Post by bitSmasher »

Looks like the flecked appearance of underlay to me.

pearcey

#28 Post by pearcey »

I used acoustic speaker cabinet felt from Cannon Sound:

http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/573395/ ... -felt.html

It may well be re-branded underlay, but I spotted it while ordering the paint, and it seemed to be the right sort of stuff. I rather carelessly used the verb 'carpetted' when describing installing it :wink:

Satisfying tho the job was, I couldn't have been bothered to double layer it and it won't make enough difference to me to make it worth it. I also nearly used up the 2 meters I ordered; I would have to have ordered another 2 meters and waited another week. I suppose I could have got some eggshell mattress stuff, but well, the felt stuff seems to do the trick.

Koch were involved in the Eden and Sadowsky tube amps. The 2 do go together - 300W tube power seems to suit the O15TB perfectly. 8)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#29 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

pearcey wrote:I used acoustic speaker cabinet felt from Cannon Sound:

http://www.cannonsound.com.au/p/573395/ ... -felt.html
Looks to me like felt carpet padding re-badged and re-priced at double. :noob:
If you live near a carpet store/installer a little dumpster diving will get you all the damping you need for free, they toss anything smaller than a square yard.

bzb

#30 Post by bzb »

Is the underlayment cheaper at the Depot than the mattress topper (or even suitable)?

I'm having trouble finding the generic mattress topper, believe it or not. Everyone has started carrying the "memory foam" version of all of them. So far I've checked Target, Kohls, and K-Mart...
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10