sound system suggestions please

jchumley

sound system suggestions please

#1 Post by jchumley »

I think I asked the wrong question in my earlier post when I asked if a set of DR250s would be appropriate for my son's band. I think the correct approach is to describe the parameters and ask what speakers/amp/mixer etc would do the job. so...

The job is -

The band:
Young (HS Sophomores) 4 piece hard rock/metal band. Pretty powerful amps and a loud drummer. They like it LOUD. THey may be adding a keyboard soon.

The Venues:
Smallish rooms for 50 to maybe 150 people for the most part. Maybe 200 people in the biggest room.

$$:
Money matters. Don't want to spend more than necessary but I do want the system to do the job and be reliable and expandable.

Sound system experience:
Almost none. It has to be simple to set up and use.

Wood Working Experience:
Not a problem. I can build it.

Which speakers should I built? What mixer(s) would be best and what Amplifiers to power the system. Mics I can deal with.

Thanks,

Jeff

I expect to start it will be used only for vox but I would like to be able to mic the instruments as well.

LelandCrooks

Re: sound system suggestions please

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Same age, same start with my son's band. DR250's and t39's. At that time the titans didn't exist and I used 4 t24's. We ended up with 4 DR's. I built 2 more not for volume, but for the sound quality. The difference between 1 and 2 in a stack is pretty large.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

SoundInMotionDJ

#3 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

+1 for the cabinet suggestion from Leland.

I would recommend that you look into a used Yamaha 01v mixer. That is a fully digital mixer that has enough Aux outputs to run tops, subs, and a couple monitors. The mixer has gates, EQ, limiters on every input & output. That is enough in the effects chain to not need any other processors.

As for amps, the Behringer EP4000 or EP2500 are good workhorse amps for applications like this.

If the new Peavey IPR amps ever ship and come anywhere near specs...they would be really nice for the $ and the pounds.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

I believe the EP2500 is now out of production.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

SoundInMotionDJ

#5 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Chris_Allen wrote:I believe the EP2500 is now out of production.
It is...but there are still some available "new in box" or used. The EP4000 is functionally the same amp as the EP2500...the only apparent difference is that the marketing dept got hold of the spec sheet. :roll:

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

SeisTres

#6 Post by SeisTres »

yep, ep2500 was replaced by ep4000. Don't be fooled by the number game, it's basically the same amp repackaged.

And if you can build the DR250, go for it. For kiddie bands in those places four of my t39's and two jacks do just fine. However, I do tend to run the jacks well into distortion, but then again I'm not using the recommended drivers, and im using a full range speaker for top duty.

But DR250 per side and two t39(3012lf loaded, of course) will get the job done nicely.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

jswingchun

#7 Post by jswingchun »

You don't mention woodworking skills and tools you possess, so +1 to the DR250s if you have the tools and woodworking skills, otherwise consider OmniTop 12's. DR's may be the best, but OmniTops are a pretty close second...

Oh wait, you did mention woodworking skills, never mind....
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

jchumley

#8 Post by jchumley »

Thanks guys,

Looks like 2 DR250s and two t39 is the way to go. I think we can even fit them in the mini van.

As for tools, it is interesting. I have half of a two bay garage as a workshop so space is limited. I have a Table saw, Band saw, drill press, Hitachi F1000A jointer/planer (not the little table top thing but a big old cast iron one - my favorite power tool!) and router table. I find that these handle probably 90 percent of my woodworking projects. I mostly build electric guitars ( http://home.comcast.net/~jchumley/guitars/) with the odd random project thrown in. There are a lot of other tools I would have if I had space. Thickness sander, sanding station, oscillating spindle sander... looks like a pattern. I hate hand sanding.

I'll start my XF412 build with my son this afternoon. I'll take pics. That means I have to clean the shop. Dang.

Jeff

Radian

#9 Post by Radian »

Thickness sander....Oscillating spindle sander... ~drool~
Ventilated lacquer spray booth ~sigh~
We had these, and more, in high school wood shop...I miss that shop. :cry:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

jchumley

#10 Post by jchumley »

Spray booth. Don't get me started. I do small spray jobs in the workshop but anything else I have to do outside when weather permits or wait until the family will be away for at least a day.

SeisTres

#11 Post by SeisTres »

jchumley wrote:Thanks guys,

I'll start my XF412 build with my son this afternoon.
Don't know how recent is the pic of your son with the flying v, but why not the xf212? MUCH easier carry and cheaper, too. I used to have a half stack, but actually, later on I'm planning on building the single 12" from ax84.com or a variation of it. Besides, I like tons of distortion, and having the single will give that tone sooner than the half stack.

Well, unless you want to mix drivers then the 412 it is.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

jchumley

#12 Post by jchumley »

The V player is my 16 year old son, Its the 18 year old punk rocker/college freshman that I'm building the xf412 with. I'm sure the 212 would be sufficient but he wants the 412. I may build a 212 just for me.

My house is loud. In a good way.

Tom Smit

#13 Post by Tom Smit »

Maybe try this. Build the XF212 for yourself first and let your son try it. It might be good-enough such that the XF412 is not needed.
TomS