Hello from (just outside) Toronto, Canada

DaveMacKay

Hello from (just outside) Toronto, Canada

#1 Post by DaveMacKay »

I recently acquired a pair of 1986 Klipsch La Scalas. Listening to them has revitalized my interest in audio.

I love the La Scalas but want to pair them with a subwoofer to provide bass (the La Scala drops off at around 100 Hz and doesn't really go below 50 Hz). Feedback on the Klipsch forum led me to the BFM web site. I've just ordered plans for the THTLP, which I hope to build in the fall.

I'm interested in any experiences with:
- pairing a THTLP with La Scalas
- parts suppliers in Canada
- importing parts (e.g., Parts Express) into Canada
- preferred amps to use with the THTLP

Thanks!

Dave

Tom Smit

Re: Hello from (just outside) Toronto, Canada

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum!

Parts supplier: https://qcomponents.ca/ I have used them numerous times, and they are prompt.
TomS

DaveMacKay

#3 Post by DaveMacKay »

Thanks Tom

It was good chatting with you (via e-mail) a few weeks ago.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum :)

While not specifically related to using something like a THTLP with La Scala's, there is a wealth of information to be gleaned here on the forum.
First up, sub woofer placement:
You get free increased output by putting a sub and firing it into a corner. A massive +12dB in fact. Any corner in the room will do, if aesthetics is a concern. Even firing the mouth into a wall will add +6dB (the same as what you'd get if you built 2 x THTLP's).

One way of powering something like a THTLP and the La Scala's, but with some crossovers and so on, may be to use a home theatre receiver.

Or perhaps something like MINI DSP and an amp for the sub. In terms of amp power, it doesn't need to be overly powerful. A 200-300W plate amp (in it's own enclosure) should be ample.

You need some form of processing. You don't want to different types of cabs (eg THTLP and La Scala's) trying to reproduce the same content. It causes frequency cancellations due to differing phase response in the different designs.

You may find 1 sub doesn't address room nodes, but a tried and tested solution is the sub woofer crawl. Place a sub in the listening position, crawl around the room looking for the greatest bass response, and that's where your sub should be placed.
Sometimes, you just need another sub. Not for volume, but to address nodes.

That's enough to kick off.
Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want.
Please be aware that a number of the answers provided here may seem contrary to popular, often myth based responses you may get elsewhere!
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DaveMacKay

#5 Post by DaveMacKay »

Thanks Grant

I'm planning to locate the THTLP upright in a corner (if my wife permits :D ). I'm unclear as to which way the mouth of the woofer should face: at the top or bottom, towards a wall or facing into the room.

Thanks for the advice on what to drive the subwoofer with. I have a Yamaha R-N803 receiver drivig my speakers, but will need an amp for the subwoofer. I was wondering about including a plate amp in the build but haven't really gotten to the point of needing to figure that out yet.

Dave

AntonZ

#6 Post by AntonZ »

Welcome onboard Dave.

While I live halfway across the globe from you I may have traveled nearby. I have relatives living in a Toronto suburb and I have spent several days in and around your home town during a once-in-a-lifetime trip with my family a few years ago. While I love your country and its' people, I thoroughly hate Toronto traffic :cowboy:

Seth

#7 Post by Seth »

Welcome to the party Dave :thumbsup:

-Seth-
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

AntonZ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:34 pm Welcome onboard Dave.
<snip>I thoroughly hate Toronto traffic :cowboy:
Highway 401 (main freeway in Ontario that runs through metro Toronto) is quite often referred to a parking lot. :shock: :lol:
TomS

Radian

#9 Post by Radian »

DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 pm Feedback on the Klipsch forum led me to the BFM web site. I've just ordered plans for the THTLP, which I hope to build in the fall.
Welcome aboard! Excellent choice.
DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 pm - pairing a THTLP with La Scalas
Match made in heaven. Very formidable combination. Unleashes the true potential of the La Scala design. Allows one to explore live concert-level SPL that most have never experienced in the home environment.
DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 pm - preferred amps to use with the THTLP
Any quality 200-300W component power amp will drive the sub to levels that will shred dry wall, but I've been using mine with a Dayton SA1000 for years now because of the included filter features and it runs nice and cool. That being said, the line of IcePWR amps from Mini DSP are also a good option, so long as you don't mind the need for an external computer for setup, and all the flashy lights on the things.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

DaveMacKay

#10 Post by DaveMacKay »

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the helpful information.

It'll be a few weeks before I can start on the THTLP. I'm keen to hear it.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Please bear with me.

Tom Smit

#11 Post by Tom Smit »

DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:24 pm Thanks Tom

It was good chatting with you (via e-mail) a few weeks ago.
Thanks! Same!
TomS