outdoor wedding

Post your gigs here and showcase your BF speakers. Be sure to tell us what you've got.
himhimself

outdoor wedding

#1 Post by himhimself » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Had the system out over the weekend for a friend's outdoor wedding. The dual pairs of T30s v-plated are so awesome for recorded music. Couldn't be happier. Funny thing though, one side of otops cut out every now and then. It was pretty infrequent and never lasted for very long, so I didn't mess with it during the reception. I need to spend some time and figure out what was going on though, so it doesn't happen again when it could be truly catastrophic. Guessing maybe a sketchy cable somewhere. Did it with both music and mic, so it's somewhere from the mixer down. Any thoughts appreciated. I'll probably have a go at trying to isolate the issue this coming weekend.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Seth

Re: outdoor wedding

#2 Post by Seth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 pm

himhimself wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Had the system out over the weekend for a friend's outdoor wedding. The dual pairs of T30s v-plated are so awesome for recorded music. Couldn't be happier. Funny thing though, one side of otops cut out every now and then. It was pretty infrequent and never lasted for very long, so I didn't mess with it during the reception. I need to spend some time and figure out what was going on though, so it doesn't happen again when it could be truly catastrophic. Guessing maybe a sketchy cable somewhere. Did it with both music and mic, so it's somewhere from the mixer down. Any thoughts appreciated. I'll probably have a go at trying to isolate the issue this coming weekend.
I really enjoy reading gig logs. Thanks for taking the time to share the win! :thumbsup:

If you happened to see and notice if both level indicators on the amp were (or were not) indicating activity, could go toward isolating whether the issue is pre or post amplifier. If not, something to look at if the issue arises again.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 am

If I was trouble-shooting that, I'd first just swap the L and R cable with each other coming out of the mixer (assuming you are running stereo). If the problem moves to the other side, then you know it's in the mixer.

If not, then replace the cable from mixer to the next piece of gear in the chain. If that's good, move on to the next piece of gear (whether Driverack, crossover, EQ, etc) and do the same thing - swap the L and R cables coming out of the device and see if the problem moves. If it moves, the problem is that piece of gear... if not, just keep doing the same thing down the line.

Since it's intermittent, it might take a while. But, try to set up exactly the same with the exact same cables. Cables shouldn't cause an intermittent problem like that if they are staying still - if they are getting moved, then that's another story.

Intermittent problems are the toughest to chase.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#4 Post by himhimself » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Set the system up last night for a big event today. Ran flawlessly for 11 hours - same set up, same cables, nothing cut out. It was indoor event, so I didn't run nearly as hard. Was kind of hoping to see the problem reappear so I could troubleshoot. Oh well, can't complain about a system that runs smooth all day and sounds amazing.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas