These DR assy jigs came in real handy

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

These DR assy jigs came in real handy

#1 Post by Harley »

I made up a jig assembly rack for mounting the DR throat horn to the tops and bottoms.

Basically if you cut one side approximatley 12" extra to the height with perfectly parrallel sides, ( and squared 90 degree corners ) and work from centreline dimensions, draw and cut out the tapered shape. You are left with two wedges each side.

Now if you did well with trig at school you'll realise that the rake of the angle of the wedges will be exactly that which you need to slope the throat horn back VERY accurately.

So, laying the pieces on edge on a good flat surface ( e.g. a sawbench ) attach a plate and some 1" flanges and you end up with this;

You can clamp the jig to the bottom accuratley, glue and clamp the throat horn to the bottom like so ( I wrap a 4" strip of shrink-wrap on the jig along glue lines to prevent accidental gluing to the DR!!!!! );

Then, you can turn it over and get great access for screwing the horn throat to the top ( 5 screws ) without it shifting

THEN - I attached the ONE side ( yes I know the woofer baffles aren't in yet ) with 3 screws BUT DID NOT glue these, using some scrap wood jigs the right height and notched at the top, sat this on the saw bench, screwed the other side THEN attached the bottom;

The result - a very accurately square cabinet with an accurately and easy mounted throat horn.

After the glue dried, I unscrewed the unglued sides ( the holes will be good for when I finally glue the side on anyhow ) and made and attached the woofer baffle

Maybe you all have easier ways of doing this but this system really helped me with the DR300 assy.

Harley

edit aug 17 - fixed some typos, added sketch and ammended the bit about the side to say DO NOT GLUE the sides
Last edited by Harley on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

LelandCrooks

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Wow Harley, that's really good.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

bgavin

#3 Post by bgavin »

+1

Slim

Awesome Harley.

#4 Post by Slim »

Good tip.

Tom

Re: These DR assy jigs came in real handy

#5 Post by Tom »

Harley wrote:I made up a jig assembly rack for mounting the DR throat horn to the tops and bottoms.
Thanks, Harley. I just built and used the jig, and it worked great. The horn is mounted very accurately, and the assembly is square. I was worried about both of those things, and using your tip, I am through this touchy part of this assembly and making good progress.

Harley

Re: These DR assy jigs came in real handy

#6 Post by Harley »

Tom wrote: I just built and used the jig, and it worked great. The horn is mounted very accurately, and the assembly is square. I was worried about both of those things, and using your tip, I am through this touchy part of this assembly and making good progress.
:lol: That's nice to know that it works well for others too!

Harley

fender3x

#7 Post by fender3x »

I am taking every tip I can find in order to get this box to line up correctly...and the more difficulty I encounter, the more convinced I am that I need just this sort of help!

It took me four tries to get a modified, Harley like jig... First, in cutting out the sides, I realized that I was one degree off on the angle on one of the sides. I can correct that when I put the box together, but how do I make Harley's jig?

Maybe, I though, I could just use one side. That should be enough to get the angle. So, attempt #2, build a mono-stand. Long story short, I built the jig upside down.

No problem, thought I, I will just turn it over. So, I turned it over, built the exact same verkachte stander, this time on the other end...

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1 ... id=5704918

...but I did not get it completely flat in the glue-up phase, and it was off by--you guessed it--one degree.

All this only served to convince me of how much I needed this *%$*& jig. So, I got out the heavy artilery. I had a perfectly flat piece of 3/4" virola ply. I squared a piece on my table saw sled (BFD--indespensible). Then I carefully measured a three degree angle, and cut it. I put the 3 degree angle edges together, and the one of the right angle sides together and squared it all up so that I had two identical pieces. I glued a flate side to the front, and a flat piece to the bottom. Glued it, clamped it, screwed it. This morning, I measered everything again. Still 3 degrees! Exito! I shouted, so that my neighbors would know I had succeded (neighbors are Latin American).

The result is a 7 lb baby jig. It has Harley's eyes.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1 ... id=5704920

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1 ... id=5704919

LelandCrooks

#8 Post by LelandCrooks »

fender3x wrote: The result is a 7 lb baby jig. It has Harley's eyes.

You'd better hope it's just eyes. For your sanity. :lol:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Harley

#9 Post by Harley »

LelandCrooks wrote:You'd better hope it's just eyes. For your sanity. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Harley

fender3x

#10 Post by fender3x »

I just put in my horn throat and tweeter baffle this morning, and want to make a renewed pitch for Harley's jig, especially when used in combination with Dave Perry's tip here:

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=808

They are both good approaches, but combining them makes mounting almost idiot proof.

DAVID_L_PERRY

#11 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

fender3x wrote:..... want to make a renewed pitch for Harley's jig, especially when used in combination with Dave Perry's tip here:

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=808

They are both good approaches, but combining them makes mounting almost idiot proof.
Harley together we almost make a full idiot :lol:.....and I had worked so hard on being a one man idiot machine.

Glad the tips help out :D

fender3x

#12 Post by fender3x »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote: Harley together we almost make a full idiot :lol:.....and I had worked so hard on being a one man idiot machine.

Thanks again! BTW, I am pretty sure that you subtract to get the idiot.

Tim A

#13 Post by Tim A »

fender3x wrote:
DAVID_L_PERRY wrote: Harley together we almost make a full idiot :lol:.....and I had worked so hard on being a one man idiot machine.

Thanks again! BTW, I am pretty sure that you subtract to get the idiot.
Not when it's you two.... :lol: