Speakon adaptor

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Tom

Re: Speakon adaptor

#16 Post by Tom »

Space is limited in the T. Most of it will be filled with the extra wire needed to stretch and solder.

Personally, I wouldn't want banana connectors in there for how I use this. I can always insert a quarter inch plug and inspect whatever I need with a voltmeter.
Build Log

-- Done, in use --
4 - Dr250/2510/Piezo
2 - OmniTop 12
2 - T48/3015LF (22 inches wide)
2 - T48/3015LF (25 inches wide)
4 - Melded array w8
? - Omni 10

BrentEvans

#17 Post by BrentEvans »

Gotcha, I was thinking of something a little different. I hate bananas, try to avoid them at all costs, but having a way to securely connect bare wires in a pinch (someone destroys a connector 10 minutes before live time, it's happened to me), this would save running a new speaker cable. I've used alligator clips on a 1/4" before for this, which is not the picture of secure.

No reason it couldn't be done with a different form factor though, I might try making a small project box with binding posts on one side and two of the combo jacks on the other, that would give me what I want. I like the T connector too, just a different application.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

kevynknevik

#18 Post by kevynknevik »

nice idea tom...i would of spray painted the T black before loading it tho...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#19 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kevynknevik wrote:nice idea tom...i would of spray painted the T black before loading it tho...
It looks to be polypropylene, which won't take paint.

SeisTres

#20 Post by SeisTres »

Ya'll mean everyone here doesn't just take a whole bunch of female speak-on's, solder them together, wrap with electrical tape and call it a day??
:oops:

But seriously, that looks pretty cool, I actually might try that instead of the method described above.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Bryan316

#21 Post by Bryan316 »

I would dab some crazy glue at the sides, then brush on some liquid electrical tape to seal em up. Keeps em black and secure.

gdougherty

#22 Post by gdougherty »

Here's what I ended up with, not being able to find Nylon T's at the local HD.

PVC in 1" is just a hair too large, 1/8" difference maybe in diameter.
It's just perfect though to fit a Speakon plug with a narrow strip about 16" long of gaffer's tape wrapped around it. A little experimentation got me the first length, the gaffer's roll then had the length measured for me when I tore the next narrow strip. Think I was using 3" tape and got all three lengths out of the same piece of tape. Used the last one to measure the next length of 3.

Used the NL4's with the tabs and some quick connects. The ends fit very tight into the pipe, but I have had someone without a clue pull the connection out of the T on me. Refit the tabs and jammed it back in. You could probably come up with some better way to secure them but they don't fall out on their own and they don't come easily.

Do the 4 conductor end first and feed the pairs to the proper side. I also took a wire cutter and gently made little notches at each 1/4 around the circumference of the T ends. 1 notch for pair 1, 2 notches for pair 2. Easily visible and easily tactile in the dark if you had to.

gdougherty

#23 Post by gdougherty »

Also just realized, I could use these to split a 2 channel monitor feed from my amp rack and increase my output density without needing a new panel. Of course I still need more inputs to the amp, so maybe I'll get a two row 12-16 socket plate anyway to replace the two row 8 socket plate I have now.

My dream is to someday have ADAT Multicore extenders in my amp rack with 16 channels of output wired directly into the rack. Plug in one Ethercon connection and I'm ready to go. Double the outs onto a rear panel as a just in case.

Monomer

#24 Post by Monomer »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
kevynknevik wrote:nice idea tom...i would of spray painted the T black before loading it tho...
It looks to be polypropylene, which won't take paint.

boil it plus some rit dye.
-AutoTuba; Tang Band 8 inch (x1)
-T39; KappliteLF, 22 wide (x2)
-More to come!

loudsubz

#25 Post by loudsubz »

where do you guys buy those speakon connectors in Canada? I can't seem to find any.

Frederic Gelinas

#26 Post by Frederic Gelinas »

loudsubz wrote:where do you guys buy those speakon connectors in Canada? I can't seem to find any.
This is where I get mine:
http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?M ... &Fl2=&Fl3=

Many electronic parts store carry the Neutrik line, but I have to go get them myself instead of getting them delivered to my door.
Frédéric Gélinas, HF Audio
Authorized Builder
HFAudio.ca
Free tone Generator
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada

Tom Smit

#27 Post by Tom Smit »

I get mine from a local tube amp guy who gets his parts from Mouser.com (he makes a bulk order of various parts every few months)
TomS

BoostFab

#28 Post by BoostFab »

How are you wiring the T adapter: parallel/series?

DJ Higgumz

#29 Post by DJ Higgumz »

so what exactly are these used for? what do you use it for?
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s

Bruce Weldy

#30 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJ Higgumz wrote:so what exactly are these used for? what do you use it for?
When the distance between the amp and the speaker is greater than the distance between the ends of the speaker cable.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."