Speakon adaptor

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
gdougherty

Re: Speakon adaptor

#31 Post by gdougherty »

I ended up redoing mine. Over time I had enough idjits with no clue how to uncouple a speakon pull them loose and rip the quick-connect tabs out that the gaff tape no longer fit tight. I used the tab connector speakons initially so I cleaned up the tabs and soldered on the connectors. Filled the gap between the connector and the upsized T with epoxy and now they're not coming apart.

Mine are wired with all 4 connections on the trunk of the T split to 1+/- on each of the arms. That takes a 4 conductor NL4 input and splits it to two single channels. I used to use it to run 2 channels out to each speaker stack so I could do a vocal only box, or drive two different volume signals for some power shading. Now I'm biamping my mains, so I've put them into duty as monitor or sub channel splits. I can run monitor channels 1/2 out front on a single 12/4 and split to 12/2 for the monitors. My amp rack is setup so monitor 1 on the rack panel outputs 1/2 and monitor 3 outputs 3/4. I also have two amps for sub duty, so I wired each amp to a single NL4 on the panel and split to two subs on the other end. I've also used them as a 12/2 coupler going from the trunk to the first channel output arm.

bitSmasher

#32 Post by bitSmasher »

a multitude of uses could come from it... cable extending, cable converting (ie, xlr/speakon/1/4), paralleling speakers or rewiring them specifically for series connecting speakers. The form factor is less clunky than a box too.
very resourceful.

byacey

#33 Post by byacey »

Another method of retaining the connector in the tube is to drill and tap a hole for a hollow allen type setscrew, 4-40 or 6-32, in the side of the tube. The setscrew simply tightens against a little divot made in the barrel of the connector.

This can be readily dis-assembled should it ever need servicing.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

DJ Nada

#34 Post by DJ Nada »

Anyone have a good source for these nylon tees? I wasted two hours today looking for something that I wouldn't have to perform extensive modifications on.

Bruce Weldy

#35 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJ Nada wrote:Anyone have a good source for these nylon tees? I wasted two hours today looking for something that I wouldn't have to perform extensive modifications on.
I was about to build some of these (not a three way, just a two way)....but I found that you can buy an inline connector made by Neutrik for less than the parts to build one.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... mpaign=pla

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJ Nada

#36 Post by DJ Nada »

I'm wanting to make a gizmo that can either couple two cables, or split 1/1+,2/2+ into two 1/1+ signals. My amp can put both channels into one jack, and a breakout adapter would let me power a sub stack with just one cable run to it.

BrentEvans

#37 Post by BrentEvans »

DJ Nada wrote:I'm wanting to make a gizmo that can either couple two cables, or split 1/1+,2/2+ into two 1/1+ signals. My amp can put both channels into one jack, and a breakout adapter would let me power a sub stack with just one cable run to it.
Wire a third jack on your subs which crosses pair 2 to pair 1, then use any standard cable to do the crossover. There's no gizmo to get lost then.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

gdougherty

#38 Post by gdougherty »

Updating my previous update. I had one rebuilt per my previous comment and my second I hadn't rebuilt. The rebuilt one went missing and I wanted to redo it all anyway.

Home Depot now sells a green T fitting for sprinkler systems branded Eco-Lock. It's designed to press-fit sprinkler pipe together so it has a sealing gasket ring that stretches around the pipe and metal tabs that grip and retain the pipe. Turns out they grab and hold in a standard D-Series connector perfectly as well.

Grab the 3/4" size, solder up your cable as previously described and solder away. No epoxy, glue, screws or anything else to worry about. Plugged in a connector and those metal tabs hold that puppy in snug. I may super-glue the connector to the T fitting just to make sure given my past experience with idjits.