Links to everything you need for your BFD-build, in Europe.

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Grant Bunter

Re: Links to everything you need for your BFD-build, in Euro

#121 Post by Grant Bunter »

^ the first one you listed is 8 x 4 in mm, the second is 5 x 5 listed in mm and if they call it russian ply, that's as baltic as it gets!

Get in to it if it's nearby. Go pick out the best sheets in whatever size suits you, it may be graded BB/B, but some sheets are always better than others.

I'm jealous...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

All Thumbs

#122 Post by All Thumbs »

Excellent :-D
First time builder of 2 x Omni 15 Full Range - wish me luck :-)

Scott Whitley Bass Guitar Services
Web: http://www.scott-whitley.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scott.whitley.bass.services

escapemcp

#123 Post by escapemcp »

PU/PL - http://tooltray.com/Wood-Adhesives/Lumb ... -310ml.htm - £3.40 + £4.99 P&P ex VAT (£4.08 + £5.99 inc)
Ply -
Hi there! I'm building some large speakers and the plans call for this...
"12mm Plywood. Buy a grade with 5 or more equal thickness plies, but don’t waste money on high-priced premium grades or marine plywood. With a paint finish use birch, poplar or Arauco (Radiata pine), as with softwood the grain will show through. Make sure your birch is in fact Northern White Birch, either Canadian or European (Baltic), with a thick outer face, not cheap Asian ‘birch’, which has a thin veneer outer face. Quality birch is usually found at smaller lumberyards that cater to kitchen cabinetmakers, and often comes in 5x5 foot sheets."
What woods do you have that fit the bill please?.
Familiar wording?? :loler: Thanks for the timesaver All Thumbs :)
Thank you for your enquiry,

All of our Birch Ply is either Latvian or Russian, most of the stock in the UK is, whoever you buy from.
You will need to avoid the Chinese, birch core plys as the comments below suggest, they are very inferior.
Look for the grade, I would suggest you need BB/BB, but grades like WG and C are lower face grades, constructionaly they are pretty similar, but if you are making a feature of the edge the cheaper ones may not look as good, and may have core gaps.
Listed below are our stock in birch ply, they are all good quality, multi lam plys, you may notice that the first item has a higher (B) grade on one face, hense the price.
In stock now;
2440 x 1220 x 12 mm Clear B/BB Birch Ply FSC £61.59+ vat
2440 x 1220 x 12 mm L.G. Birch Plywood BB/BB FSC £39.00 + vat
1525 x 3050 x 12 mm Birch Plywood BB/BB £74.29 + vat
1525 x 3050 x 12 mm Birch Plywood BB/BB PEFC £74.29 + vat
2440 x 1220 x 12 mm L.G. Birch Plywood BB/BB PEFC £39.00 + vat
1220 x 2440 x 12 mm Birch Plywood BB/BB FSC £39.00 + vat

Regards,
Avon Plywood Ltd
They also have radiator :wink: pine at about £21 a sheet plus VAT. Looks to me that a lot of their woods are the same - looking at the prices :)

Disco-inferno

#124 Post by Disco-inferno »

lidl in holland now has a set of 3M tape consisting of 50m duct tape, 1,5m gasket tape and 2x 10m of insulating tape for only €3,99. just thought I'd share.

bought a couple and seems to be very strong and sticky duct tape :o
Attachments
IMG-20130417-WA0000.jpg

AntonZ

#125 Post by AntonZ »

Thanks for that, going to see if they still have something left come the weekend.

BassheadUK

#126 Post by BassheadUK »

Found some 12awg speaker cable 50m on ebay UK with the follwing spec:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-2-5mm ... 43bb01bbd3

GREAT QUALITY AT A LOW PRICE (£28.99 + £6.99 shipping)

50m High quality OFC 2.5mm (core) speaker cable, 12awg

Ideal for surround sound, hifi, car audio systems, exterior speaker and many more applications

2.5mm Squared inner core
3.6mm x 5.7mm outer size
322 strands
Polarity indicated down one side of the cable by a blue stripe
One of the best for value on the market, great quality at a low cost
Ideal for bi wire applications when run in dual lengths
Brilliant for long lengths keeping sound clarity at its up most
Transparent sheathing leaving a modern, stylish look, with a quality finish
Tough and durable good for any application
OFC the best option for sound clarity
I plan to build a couple of DR250's & Autotuba.
WARNING - LAB12 T39's are EXCELLENT

Chris_Allen

#127 Post by Chris_Allen »

Good find, I always struggle for cable - I think I'll order some tonight.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

88h88

#128 Post by 88h88 »

Anyone got any leads on drivers for use in TLAHs/SLAs? Has anyone actually built a pair of these badboys? I'm looking to build some Pro SLAs at some point but I'm getting the itch to try some of the home versions and am wondering if anyone's found anything worthwhile.

That said has anyone found any sites with masses of drivers on offer I can have a dig through?
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bas Gooiker

#129 Post by Bas Gooiker »

http://www.pollin.de often has good deals on buyout speakers. Found some SLA candidates there, their stock changes alot though. So if you check regularly you just might find what you need.
The site says they will ship to Germany and Austria, but if you call them they will ship anywhere.
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Bas Gooiker

#130 Post by Bas Gooiker »

This driver might be a nice budget driver option for the T39 & Tuba 30 available in Europe: the Box 12/280-A 12/280-A Datasheet
The TSP are quite close to the Delta 12LF but this one has a real x-max (Hc-Hg /2) of 5,5mm and if you calculate x-max the way most manifactures do (Hc-Hg /2 + Hg/4) it would make a solid 7,5mm. It is widely available through Thomann and costs only €49,-

I know this will get me some :cop: from the recommended driver crew... But this could be a really nice option for those on limited budgets and for the people risking loosing their rigs doing free parties.

Bas Gooiker

#131 Post by Bas Gooiker »

I found a killer deal on the Behringer DCX that i thought i'd share. Now new only €150 !!

Didn't trust it at first, but eventually ordered it after checking that it was a legit shop that was selling it. I received it today and indeed its a brand new and working unit. Seems to be old stock they are clearing out, mine has a production date from 2008. But with that price and Behringers 3 year warranty i'm a happy man! :D

They still have stock. BEHRINGER DCX

Disco-inferno

#132 Post by Disco-inferno »

Bluearan in the UK now has a large discount on the lab12 driver.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id= ... e=category

£109,- a piece, shipping to Netherlands is about £17 for two drivers!

escapemcp

#133 Post by escapemcp »

Bas Gooiker wrote:I found a killer deal on the Behringer DCX that i thought i'd share. Now new only €150 !!

Didn't trust it at first, but eventually ordered it after checking that it was a legit shop that was selling it. I received it today and indeed its a brand new and working unit. Seems to be old stock they are clearing out, mine has a production date from 2008. But with that price and Behringers 3 year warranty i'm a happy man! :D

Hurry up payday... a week to go and have been planning on getting the DCX on payday. €150 is a steal. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Jools4001

#134 Post by Jools4001 »

escapemcp wrote:
Bas Gooiker wrote:I found a killer deal on the Behringer DCX that i thought i'd share. Now new only €150 !!

Hurry up payday... a week to go and have been planning on getting the DCX on payday. €150 is a steal. Thanks for the heads-up! :)
Bah...why does this always happen? I'm soldiering on through a J12 build and even before I've finished them I'm starting to think "well, maybe I should think about building a T39 or two for the gigs where we'd have room for subs"...and as if they are the devil on my shoulder deals like this come by, along with Blue Aran knocking the price of Lab 12s down on a clearance deal (from £170? to £109) and the devil says "don't wait Jools, start buying all the stuff to build subs now" and the head says "you've just spent a lot of wedge on a new mixer and you don't even know if you'll need subs because you haven't heard the jacks yet....stupid boy"
2 x 3012 HO Jack 12 Lites
2 x Delta Pro 8b Wedgehorn 8 Monitors
Subs? Big question mark!

88h88

#135 Post by 88h88 »

Jools4001 wrote:Bah...why does this always happen? I'm soldiering on through a J12 build and even before I've finished them I'm starting to think "well, maybe I should think about building a T39 or two for the gigs where we'd have room for subs"...and as if they are the devil on my shoulder deals like this come by, along with Blue Aran knocking the price of Lab 12s down on a clearance deal (from £170? to £109) and the devil says "don't wait Jools, start buying all the stuff to build subs now" and the head says "you've just spent a lot of wedge on a new mixer and you don't even know if you'll need subs because you haven't heard the jacks yet....stupid boy"
If you're after Lab 12s buy them from this dude on ebay. I've dealt with him before and he's cheaper than everyone else and the service is solid. £105 per Lab, £10 delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eminence-LAB- ... 19e6e79f85

His seller name is colosussxb
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"