Corners for Cabinets Made from 1/2" Ply

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Alexander Eddy

Corners for Cabinets Made from 1/2" Ply

#1 Post by Alexander Eddy »

Hi Folks,

My omni 15 is complete, minus a grill and corners. The grill I have sorted, but I can't find any corners that a suitable. Every corner I can find is suited to a 1/2" radius edge. If I put a half inch radius on a cabinet constructed of half inch ply, the engineer in me says I'm taking too much material off the panel/joint.

Does anyone know of corners available somewhere suitable for a 1/4" or 3/8" radius roundover? Preferably someone that ships internationally as I'm in Australia.

Thank you

tallevan

Re: Corners for Cabinets Made from 1/2" Ply

#2 Post by tallevan »

Hey, Alex.

These corners worked great for me:
https://www.flightcasefittings.co.uk/pl ... c1567.html

I imagine Penn Elcom has something similar.
I don't remember the radius bit I used, probably 6mm.

You could also cut a bigger radius just for the corners (basically insetting the plastic corners), and glue a small block on the inside for reinforcement. Would improve the screw purchase as well.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

3/8" radius corners are the standard, so I can't say why you can't find them. If you are forced to use 1/2" radius it won't bother anything, as that leaves a minimum material thickness of 1/2", the same thickness as the panels.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Use a 3/8" roundover bit. Any 1/2" corner will fit just fine. But, you'll have to sand down the point of the corner a little flat so that if will fit snug.

I've done that with the small stacking corners, the large stacking corners, and metal corners on all of my cabs.

I've used tons of these...
https://www.parts-express.com/Plastic-S ... s.-262-834

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Verb

#5 Post by Verb »

The Adam Hall 4072 corner has a 6mm internal radius

howiez

#6 Post by howiez »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am Use a 3/8" roundover bit. Any 1/2" corner will fit just fine. But, you'll have to sand down the point of the corner a little flat so that if will fit snug.

I've done that with the small stacking corners, the large stacking corners, and metal corners on all of my cabs.

I've used tons of these...
https://www.parts-express.com/Plastic-S ... s.-262-834
I second that, of the few cabs i've built those stacking chevrons seem to work great and fit a 3/8 roundover. It leaves me just enough to guide the bearing or guide the router when I cut around the mouth.