New Router

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Dale Hammer

New Router

#1 Post by Dale Hammer »

In need of a new router. Parts for my old Craftsman seem to be discontinued. Would appreciate any guidance and experience with currently available models. Mid priced, versatile and reliable.
Thanks,
Dale Hammer

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: New Router

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I've got a 3HP Ryobi, which stays in its table permanently, it's too big and heavy to use freehand. For freehand I've got a 2 1/4 HP Makita. Just don't get one that uses 1/4" shaft bits. It's 1/2" all the way.

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I've had this one for years.....they are still making it, so I guess it must be good. I really like the wooden knob handles. It comes with a fixed and a plunge base.

Mine's been solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK- ... B00005RHPD

Of course, there are tons of good ones out there. Go to the store and try to put your hands on 'em. Pick the one that feels good to you.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#4 Post by himhimself »

I have a 1/2" craftsman permanently mounted in a table that works well. But honestly, it's my $20 trim router from Harbor Freight that gets the most use. It's little, light, easy to maneuver, and has been going strong for years. I built a little jig for cutting circles that I've used to cut all my baffles, and all the braces for my otops too. Ranks right up there with my $20 23g pin nailer as one of my best tool buys.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Dale Hammer

#5 Post by Dale Hammer »

Thanks everyone. I'm still reading some reviews, but hopefully order one tomorrow. That Bosch is pretty much the type of package I am looking for.

I have a circle jig I bought from Parts Express a few years back. Hopefully it will still fit any of the major brands.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Dale Hammer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm
I have a circle jig I bought from Parts Express a few years back. Hopefully it will still fit any of the major brands.
All of the Jasper circle jigs will fit all the major manufacturer's routers. I would imagine that most brands of circle jigs would do the same with Bosch, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, etc....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Dale Hammer

#7 Post by Dale Hammer »

After looking around a bit, I ordered a Porter-Cable 895PK Router, Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, 12-Amp, 2-1/4-HP.

Thanks again for the comments.