Solid wood vs plywood

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
relayerbob

Solid wood vs plywood

#1 Post by relayerbob »

Hello! I'm new here and not sure where to post this question, but this seems as good a place as any. I wasn't able to find any direct answer to this.

I am wondering if solid wood would be acceptable in place of birch plywood (I'm thinking cherry, walnut, maybe even something like canary)? Are there special considerations as to why plywood would be better than solid wood, or are there major drawbacks to sold wood? Obviously more expensive, and possibly heavier and will need proper handling and finishing (I imagine once the cabinet is put together, that warpage would not be an issue, these cabs are clearly well braced), But would there be sound issues or other unforeseen problems?

Thanks,
Bob Zorich

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Solid wood vs plywood

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Solid wood is OK up to the width of a 1x8, maybe a 1x10. Wider than that and solid wood isn't stable enough, changes in temperature and humidity will cause it to warp and worse.

relayerbob

#3 Post by relayerbob »

Perfect! Thanks for the prompt and specific reply!

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It depends somewhat on what you're planning to build/purpose etc, but you can build with "lesser" quality ply and then apply veneer for that perfect finish in the home for subs.
Also, you could apply veneer to the sides, and use solid timber for the "faces" of say the SLA or the TLAH.

Sometimes it comes back to what your level of experience is, or even what you're prepared to try and do, but you can get some amazing results...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...