1/4 inch connectors: airtight?

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
cafedumonde

1/4 inch connectors: airtight?

#1 Post by cafedumonde »

Is there a 1/4 jack design that is airtight? Or does it matter?

I am preparing to build a set of T24s and, following the plans, would like to install both Speakon and 1/4 inch jacks at the front and rear. In the front, where the horn path is closer to to the driver, I expect that this is important. Looking at parts online, its hard to tell if any are airtight. Could someone please comment or suggest a part?

Thanks,

CDM

Ben

Re: 1/4 inch connectors: airtight?

#2 Post by Ben »

How about this: https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-n ... l--092-091

It's a combination speakon and 1/4 inch.
Built:
Jack 12 (2)
Wedgehorn 6 (4)

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

Regular ones are not airtight. An ear canal noise plug inserted in them works or use the ones in the link Ben provided-airtight and cleaner looking.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Speakons were created to prevent accidental disconnects.
For that reason alone, stick with only speakons.
Then the issue of airtight 1/4 sockets disappears ;)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

CoronaOperator

#5 Post by CoronaOperator »

another reason is that some of the higher power amps out there can put out 140 volts at full tilt boogie. 1/4" jacks are live wires.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

cafedumonde

#6 Post by cafedumonde »

I don't think that that one would work. The schematic in the Tuba 24 plans calls for the wiring to be different between the Speakon and 1/4" jacks, with the Speakon used to pass signal through the passive crossover and the 1/4" jack to the driver directly.

There is no doubt that Speakons are superior, but Bill's comment about making the wrong connection by mistake makes sense. I specifically want to use the passive crossover with a single amp in some situations, and an external one in others.

1/4" inch seems to have been the standard before Speakon. Surely there is an airtight version. What about this one? It seems to have a hole in the back but its hard to tell:

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-n ... k--092-084

Otherwise, perhaps Bill is relying on the 1/4" connector being in the back, toward the end of the horn path?

Thanks,

CDM

cafedumonde

#7 Post by cafedumonde »

One idea would be to build a box around it on the inside, or perhaps mount piece of pvc tubing with a cap.

CDM

Ben

#8 Post by Ben »

cafedumonde wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm I don't think that that one would work. The schematic in the Tuba 24 plans calls for the wiring to be different between the Speakon and 1/4" jacks, with the Speakon used to pass signal through the passive crossover and the 1/4" jack to the driver directly.

There is no doubt that Speakons are superior, but Bill's comment about making the wrong connection by mistake makes sense. I specifically want to use the passive crossover with a single amp in some situations, and an external one in others.
That's a wiring issue. The type of jack used in not really the issue. For example, you could have two speakon jacks where one goes to the crossover and one goes directly to the driver. But, yes, you do have to remember which jack goes directly to the driver or label them.
cafedumonde wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm 1/4" inch seems to have been the standard before Speakon. Surely there is an airtight version. What about this one? It seems to have a hole in the back but its hard to tell:

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-n ... k--092-084
That's a TRS or 3-way jack. You shouldn't use that on speakers.
Built:
Jack 12 (2)
Wedgehorn 6 (4)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

cafedumonde wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm I specifically want to use the passive crossover with a single amp in some situations, and an external one in others.
It doesn't have to be an either or situation. Whether you use an active crossover or not there's no reason to not use the low pass coil in the T24. The optional bypass of the coil is just that, optional. I don't remember why I put it in the plans in the first place, probably at someone's request.

Tom Smit

#10 Post by Tom Smit »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm
cafedumonde wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm I specifically want to use the passive crossover with a single amp in some situations, and an external one in others.
It doesn't have to be an either or situation. Whether you use an active crossover or not there's no reason to not use the low pass coil in the T24. The optional bypass of the coil is just that, optional. I don't remember why I put it in the plans in the first place, probably at someone's request.
Somebody in Michigan used a T39 with his 2x10 bass cab and needed a coil (can't remember his name, ATM). Would this be the reason?
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The crossover is there for that use, what I don't remember is why I included the coil bypass option.

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm
I put the passive crossover in my T24 to use as a monitor setup that would run the sub and top on a single channel. I wired one Speakon with the normal 1/2 input, then used the high pass output to the second speakon using 3/4. Then I built a special cable that used 3/4 on one end then 1/2 on the other. In fact, I used a 1/4" on the end for the top box. I did that so that it could only be set up one way. Of course I labeled the speakons as IN and OUT.

The passive will always be engaged, but since its crossover point is around 130hz (if I remember correctly), that will never be an issue with an active crossover as you'd use a lower crossover point than that.

It's a good option to have in the plans.

As far as wiring with 1/4" jacks - I can really see no reason at all. You should be running everything with Speakons. If a piece of gear you are using only has 1/4", then build a speakon to 1/4" cable. And grab a couple of speakon to 1/4" turnaround adapters. I have a couple that I have never used - but they are there just in case.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

cafedumonde

#13 Post by cafedumonde »

Thanks for the input. Sounds like this is not an issue. I'll use Speakon if I decide to go with the bypass feature.

CDM