32 Inch driver dilemma

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Vasubandu

32 Inch driver dilemma

#1 Post by Vasubandu »

I have an established Alibaba commercial account from a few past projects that gets me in with Chinese suppliers. The other day I was goofing off on Alibaba, and I noticed that a company was offering a 8000 watt RMS 32-inch subwoofer driver. The cost is$850 to $950 which would be plus shipping, and at 100 pounds, I am guessing that would mean something around $1,100 delivered. So I sent an inquiry about an evaluation pair, and they offered to send me 2 for $900 including shipping. Suddenly I had the potential for 2 32-inch drivers for $450 apiece.

This is the driver: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 89045.html

The company makes an extensive line of speaker products. Its profile is here https://nbfante.en.alibaba.com/

https://nbfante.en.alibaba.com/

My questions are first whether anyone has an opinion whether it would make any sense to buy these, and second what one earth to do with them if I do. I seems like it would be fun to be the first kid on the block with a 32 inch sub, but I don't want to be stupid.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: 32 Inch driver dilemma

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Without full T/S specs there's no way to design a cabinet for it. The picture, BTW, is not a 32 inch driver. Judging by the terminal posts I'd say it's a fifteen or eighteen. All the drivers on the site appear to be knock-offs, if not downright counterfeits, right down to the model numbers. Confucius say 'you get what you pay for'.

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Mmmm, "Voltage 12V DC" is an appropriate parameter...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Rich4349

#4 Post by Rich4349 »

Yes, having a 32 inch sub, or rather, being able to SAY you have a 32 inch sub certainly sounds like fun and appeals to the little kid in all of us.

Buy the plans for and make a wide THT. I can all BUT guarantee that will be more than enough for you. If it isn't, build a second one. If those aren't enough for you, you already have excessive, permanent hearing loss.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Vasubandu

#5 Post by Vasubandu »

Thanks Rich4349. I have ordered the Smith & Larson software, which I understand should allow me to determine most of the specs I would need. And there is no doubting the little kid aspect, but I am ripe for my midlife crisis, and this makes more sense than a Ferrari. I purchased the Tuba HTLP plans and have been working through them. They seem well within my competence. Hate to think how big one would have to be for a 32. I may get the low profile too to see what would work best. The picture shows it is a corner and that would not work. The HTLP is thought out and designed better than any other design I have seen, so it seems to make the most sense and I gave an extra Eminence MFW-15 sitting around.