Tinting DuraTex

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
jakeobr

Tinting DuraTex

#1 Post by jakeobr »

I was looking at Q-Component's(Canada) DuraTex, and decided I want to try tinting DuraTex to a deep dark color for finishing the cabs I'm going to be building. There are two kinds I can get, one is a roller grade white($100), and the other is a roller grade black($88). The white DT says it is tint-able, but the black doesn't say anything about tinting. I'm wondering if the black DT could be mixed with white and a color to give a dark tint, because the black DT is $20 cheaper and is closer to the color I want because of how dark I want the colors to be, while white might require a lot of added paint to get what I' looking for; a really dark purple.

Has anyone experimented with coloring/tinting DuraTex? How did it go? Any pics?

CoronaOperator

Re: Tinting DuraTex

#2 Post by CoronaOperator »

You need deep tint base Duratex if you want deep colors. AFAIK, Q-components doesn't sell the deep tint base yet, maybe call them and see if they could bring it in. Lealand (one of our forum members) sells it at http://www.speakerhardware.com. You can tint the white a pastel color but mixing black and white won't work for a deeper color, you need the deep tint base which is essentially clear.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

This is a link to the manufacturer's page, and one can see that they have a "deep tint" in both roller and spray grades.
http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/
TomS

LelandCrooks

#4 Post by LelandCrooks »

Black won't tint. White will get pastels. Anything other than that needs deep tint.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

jakeobr

#5 Post by jakeobr »

Thanks for the help! Another question, I'm building a T60, would a single quart of DuraTex be enough for coverage if I use primer underneath? http://qcomponents.ca/home.php doesn't seem to have the gallon version of deep tint; they only have single quart's for $60. I emailed them to see what they could do though.

CoronaOperator

#6 Post by CoronaOperator »

jakeobr wrote: I emailed them to see what they could do though.
Nice work, they put it up on their website already, it wasn't there a few days ago. You should get a free quart for getting them up to speed! Their price is ridiculous. That is $60 plus shipping for a quart. Considering their price on a gallon of regular Duratex is very good, I can't believe they want so much for the deep tint. Heck, they want $47 for a pint of white (with roller)! I just ordered a gallon of deep tint from Leland for a couple of my DR's, less than half the price (even with shipping) of q-components.

BTW, I don't think you will get 2 coats of duratex on your T60 with a quart even with priming. It's may be close if you don't duratex the mouths and prime the same color. Maybe 5 sides 1 coat, and 4 sides (forget the bottom) the second. It really takes 2 coats to get a nice looking finish although I did our stage with 1 coat of duratex and it is holding up well.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience