Tiny Titan Tools...er, tiny tools for Titans

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Tom O'Shea

Tiny Titan Tools...er, tiny tools for Titans

#1 Post by Tom O'Shea »

I just finished a run of T48s, and thought a thread on tools might be useful for newer builders. I mean hand tools, really--saws, special clamps, odds and ends. We've had threads like this in the past, but it might be time to start another.

What made me think of this were some of my glue-up tools, especially my cheaply made adjustable corner clamp. This little doohickey (I got it from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com but it's not on their web site) is just the ticket for a very specialized use: holding together the top edges of the more sharply-angled Titan and Tuba panels--the ones that always seem to come apart as you're about to nail or screw them together. A good temporary third hand.

I use another Harbor Freight tool--a cheap pull-stroke hand saw advertised hopefully if not entirely accurately as a "flush cutting" saw. It's Harbor Freight # 94722. Usually about 10 US bucks, but often on sale for less. Great for cutting those last bits of the driver access cover that the circular saw can't get. Fast, quiet, safe. Also good for many shop quick cuts, especially in solid wood. I use it for ripping PVC for DRs, too. Using the table saw for this job scares me a bit.

For slicing away glue squeeze out I rely on an old boat-builder's slick--a longish, heavy wood chisel with a slightly rockered (along its length) blade. This keeps the handle (and your knuckles) off the plywood and helps prevent digging in. Mine's a relatively small (2" wide) version that I got on ebay for around twenty bucks. Useful for lots of jobs.

Single edge razor blades as small cutters or scrapers. Cheap, too.

Popsicle sticks to spread bondo or glue. With the end cut off, a popsicle stick can scrape off unset glue. Cheap and reusable if you keep wiping them off before the glue or filler dries. Free if you steal a kid's dessert.

What small tools do you use?
Tom O'Shea
Authorized Builder
Auburn, AL USA