Australian Options - Suppliers / Drivers etc

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Grant Bunter

Re: Australian Options - Suppliers / Drivers etc

#91 Post by Grant Bunter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:35 am

Mkulu wrote: Grant, you guys at least have a strong currency, ours is in free fall, but the Eminence prices here are on a par with the US.The only import duty on them is 14% VAT.
If eminence is on par with US pricing in SA, stick with what's listed in the plans!
Don't even bother searching for other product.

Australian recommended retail for Eminence, as listed by the Australian importer, is roughly/more than double that in the US. Our dollar is a lower ATM compared to the US. A little while back (I wasn't building more cabs at that time :wall: ) the Aussie dollar was at parity with the US dollar, so it would have been a no brainer to buy then. And that's why we consider 3rd party shipping...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Mkulu

#92 Post by Mkulu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:16 am

Grant Bunter wrote:
Mkulu wrote: Grant, you guys at least have a strong currency, ours is in free fall, but the Eminence prices here are on a par with the US.The only import duty on them is 14% VAT.
If eminence is on par with US pricing in SA, stick with what's listed in the plans!
Don't even bother searching for other product.

Australian recommended retail for Eminence, as listed by the Australian importer, is roughly/more than double that in the US. Our dollar is a lower ATM compared to the US. A little while back (I wasn't building more cabs at that time :wall: ) the Aussie dollar was at parity with the US dollar, so it would have been a no brainer to buy then. And that's why we consider 3rd party shipping...
I've done quite a bit of third party shipping through MyUS.com but they got a bit expensive.
I don't think the local suppliers here have a sole agency, as Eminence USA are also listed as South African suppliers on their website. Competition is very fierce for business here between the different makes due to recession and the Chinese are having a field day.I think maybe your agents in Oz and the government are a bit greedy.

Grant Bunter

#93 Post by Grant Bunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Just a heads up to Aussie builders.

Unconfirmed, but AV superstore here in Australia is getting quite a number of posts in various other forums about taking the money but not supplying, and/or charging large amounts for delivery.
Or not refunding after offer to do so.

Perhaps best to stay away from them? Your call...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Keryn O'Shea

#94 Post by Keryn O'Shea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 am

Gday, going to give these a go for a 4x6inch SLAP pair, and 8x8inch TLAP pair, avaiable from VFM Audio in Brisbane, a bit down on power, but are reasonably priced, especially when you buy them all at the same time, ended up costing $36ea as the 8's were on special.
Specs:

https://www.vfmaudio.com.au/13921/FS-Au ... -160-Watt/

https://www.vfmaudio.com.au/19776/FS-Au ... tt-Woofer/

Just waiting to build 1016 arrays when the tweeters turn up, they are a little deeper than the Eminence, and the 6's have a larger frame size, I've had to make the SLA longer and wider plus move the main brace back to fit.

I know backmounting the 8's in the TLA is not the best, but to mount these securely it is, there's no room for a decent fastener coming in from the front face.
Attachments
20180124_152953.jpg
Last edited by Keryn O'Shea on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'll fit this next panel, then off to bed...

Keryn O'Shea

#95 Post by Keryn O'Shea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 am

I know the all important Xmax spec is vague, but there's really nothing else close to spec available to me locally, and when you're buying 24 drivers, postage does count!
I'll fit this next panel, then off to bed...