Bass Cart Blog

Post your reviews and pictures here.
MYork

Bass Cart Blog

#1 Post by MYork »

What began as a simple solution to enabling one of my bass guitar students to perform with a marching band quickly developed into a three year quest and discovery of the joy of building speaker cabinets. I started out with a Trace Elliot 4x12 cabinet and a BBE BMax with an old QSC USA850, with a backup Carvin BRX212 combo amp on a Lowes garden cart, powered by an inverter. Here's a partial pic:

The sound was OK, but the Trace Elliot cabinet was 29" high, and 14" deep, wasn’t balanced,which made rolling the cart around difficult, so I went in search of something that was as deep as it was tall. I found the Fitzmaurice web site, and at that time, the Tuba24/DR250 was the way to go. After months of trying to get someone else to build them, I ended up buying a T24 "kit" that were extras from a forum member, and using the new HL-10C, put together the Tuba24. I ended up building the DR250 myself, but added a false top to make the shape the same as the T24, and in the Lowes garden cart they went. I also upgraded the amp to a QSC1450 with a Rolls tiny crossover.

It sounded great, and worked well, and as a side benefit, the speaker cabinets were protected from the elements! I had the "ultimate" bass rig. That is, until the Titan came out. Maybe it's a "guy" thing, but I no longer had the "ultimate bass rig," so I built a Titan48 with 2xHL-10C drivers. The Titan barely fit the Lowes garden cart, but since the cart is rated at 1,200 pounds, I thought it would be OK. It wasn't. The wheels broke .. a lot, and the only place to get them was from the distributor. Funny side note: Each replacement wheel came with a telephone number, so one day, I called it.. It was the private number of the head guy of the distributor. Some factory worker in China decided to play a joke or something. He wasn't happy! I ended up getting the existing cart modified by inmates at a road prison, and had a new chassis made by a trailer builder using trailer wheels and hubs. One season of hard use, and all is well.

Now that football season is over, the Titan was moved to another cart, and turned into a sub for two OmniTB15s/keyboard table. The cart also houses the CrownXti2000 amp.

All of Bill's designs have proved themselves to be a top product, and not too difficult to make. I have enjoyed the process, and look forward to more. Mark

Tom Smit

Re: Bass Cart Blog

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Thanks MYork for giving that pictorial. Someday, I'd like to hear something like those. Which, now that I think of it, brings the question to mind; do you have any vids (you tube perhaps)? :D

TomS
TomS

MYork

#3 Post by MYork »

Here's a short video of the show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82EME9X4lg The cabinets are facing towards the field.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Cool, thanks.

TomS
TomS

vlad335

#5 Post by vlad335 »

Wow! Great post. Thanks MYork.
Currently running:
Four Titan 48's, Six Omnitop 12's, Two Wedgehorn 10's, Omni12 2-10

Also Built: Omni15 Tallboy, Omni10.5.

'The hardest material on earth is the human skull'. How do we know this? Try pounding a new idea into one.

Rich4349

#6 Post by Rich4349 »

MYork wrote: ...It sounded great, and worked well, and as a side benefit, the speaker cabinets were protected from the elements! I had the "ultimate" bass rig. That is, until the Titan came out. Maybe it's a "guy" thing, but I no longer had the "ultimate bass rig," so I built a Titan48 with 2xHL-10C drivers. The Titan barely fit the Lowes garden cart, but since the cart is rated at 1,200 pounds, I thought it would be OK. It wasn't. The wheels broke .. a lot, and the only place to get them was from the distributor. Funny side note: Each replacement wheel came with a telephone number, so one day, I called it.. It was the private number of the head guy of the distributor. Some factory worker in China decided to play a joke or something. He wasn't happy! I ended up getting the existing cart modified by inmates at a road prison, and had a new chassis made by a trailer builder using trailer wheels and hubs. One season of hard use, and all is well.

Now that football season is over, the Titan was moved to another cart, and turned into a sub for two OmniTB15s/keyboard table. The cart also houses the CrownXti2000 amp.

Mark
I love that story! I want to hear more from this guy!
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Rich4349 wrote: I love that story! I want to hear more from this guy!
errr Mark last posted in 2010 according to his profile...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Rich4349 wrote: I love that story! I want to hear more from this guy!
errr Mark last posted in 2010 according to his profile...

Night of the Living Thread!
Zombie.png
Zombie.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Rich4349

#9 Post by Rich4349 »

Grant Bunter wrote: errr Mark last posted in 2010 according to his profile...
Didn't say it was LIKELY, just that he sure spins a good yarn!
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!