Complete PA

Post your reviews and pictures here.
LelandCrooks

Complete PA

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

I've been here a while and thought I should post a complete BFM PA review. I'm one of the few who hang here that have everything built from Bill for live sound. There's more folks who don't post much.

4 DR 250's, beta 10 loaded (old school), 16 piezo arrays. 4 t24's HL10c loaded. 4 Wedgehorns LA6MB loaded.

Clean, clear and accurate is the best description. The amount of eq is minimal, using an RTA derived curve to flat from an outdoor test as my starting point at every gig, I then tweak by ear, or if there's time I run another pink noise test. There's never enough time :roll:

I consistently get compliments from the crowd, musicians, and sound guys who look askance when we set up. PIEZOS :shock:

It's when you go to multiple cabinets, array the tops, correctly stack the subs, that real magic happens. It takes this gear to a whole nother level of quality. The kick drum SOUNDS like a kick drum at 105 db 50 ft away. At the last show the drummers for the other bands just kept whacking their kick cause it was so good and so much fun. You better be able to sing, cause 250's are totally unforgiving at showing bad vocals, and really whack bad mic technique. Even with a too loud stage volume you can get good sound.

Wedgehorns almost never feedback. I don't know if it's my placement or part of the design. I generally have to pull down around 1.2 k, and 800hz, and that's it, and there about 3 or 4 db. When I ring out, I always run out of gain before I get any ring, unless it's a really small venue. Same is true with the mains. Makes life easy :D

I am retiring as the sound guy for the band. Off to college they go, and hopefully they've learned enough to do it without me. I'm very grateful to Bill for starting me on this track. I've had a bunch of fun, building and running the rig.

Time to start on my own system, and find a band so I can play. Jazz anyone? 8)
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com