Mostly Melded Array Review HT-DR165

Post your reviews and pictures here.
mudbwetdirt

Mostly Melded Array Review HT-DR165

#1 Post by mudbwetdirt »

Disclaimer: I am the guy with the DR200s stacked on the T18s they are my version (to my regret) with shielded drivers (no longer needed) and wrong tweeters. As soon as I got the HT-DR165 home I hooked it up to the center channel turned my system on and Holy Crap the voice was crystal clear! The difference is hard to explain it's sort of like someone is talking in an adjacent room then opened the door. Today after SWMBO went to work it was test time. Test 1: take the Dr200s down on the right channel put the HT-DR165 up turn off the other amps drop Fleetwood Mac Tango in the night in the DVD player. Thats funny Steveie Nicks is singing only on the right channel? I walked over close to the left channel Oh there she is. The DR200 has the advantage in the lows with the larger driver I turned on the T18 amp and the advantage was a little bit less. Test 2: turn on all 5 amps play U-571 the first part depth charges, WOW thats what it's supposed to like? the right channel really stood out. Test 3: Put the DR200s back and remove the DR150 from the right surround put the HT-DR165 up. I played the same part again when the depth charge went off I startled in my seat and my head jerked to the right. The melded array makes the speaker outstanding in clarity this the quality I have been looking for. The results: I had to remove the HT-DR165 from the system until I can get another one built it dominates the system even after re-calibration. Guess who is going to start retrofitting his DR200s with melded arrays as soon as he finishes this review. This pic is also in the DR section
Edit: I just now figured out what to do, I'll put the the HT-DR165 on the center channel while I retrofit the DR200s starting with the center.
My Name Is Mud B. Wetdirt it's been Mud for as long as I can remember. She has other names for me but I can't use them on family forums.

slyslam

#2 Post by slyslam »

Where did you get your piezos?

Jeff Beaird

#3 Post by Jeff Beaird »

Correct me if I'm wrong, They are 1016 piezo's available @ http://www.speakerhardware.com/products.asp?cat=23&pg=2 from Leland. Or make them yourself, instructions on "how to" are in all DR and Omni plans.
If you can imagine it, I can build it..!

James R

#4 Post by James R »

mudbwetdirt Nice looking cabinets and Thanks Jeff Beaird for the link I did not realize you could get those pre cut 8)
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

mudbwetdirt

#5 Post by mudbwetdirt »

slyslam, From Partsexpress 1016 piezos.
James R, Pre made arrays would be the best way unless you like to curse, get frustrated, have lots of time and get high on glue fumes. Leyland's arrays are matched and look very nice.
My Name Is Mud B. Wetdirt it's been Mud for as long as I can remember. She has other names for me but I can't use them on family forums.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

mudbwetdirt wrote: Pre made arrays would be the best way unless you like to curse, get frustrated, have lots of time and get high on glue fumes. Leyland's arrays are matched and look very nice.
And here's Leland after a day of gluing up arrays.

LelandCrooks

#7 Post by LelandCrooks »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
mudbwetdirt wrote: Pre made arrays would be the best way unless you like to curse, get frustrated, have lots of time and get high on glue fumes. Leyland's arrays are matched and look very nice.
Okay, who snuck the webcam into my shop. :x
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

LelandCrooks

#8 Post by LelandCrooks »

LelandCrooks wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Okay, who snuck the webcam into my shop. :x

Actually the one pictured on my site was built by Les. He takes care of overflow for me.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

slyslam

#9 Post by slyslam »

mudbwetdirt wrote:slyslam, From Partsexpress 1016 piezos.
James R, Pre made arrays would be the best way unless you like to curse, get frustrated, have lots of time and get high on glue fumes. Leyland's arrays are matched and look very nice.
That confirms my tought. McBride in Canada sells the same piezo for 3.16$ Can. and my other supplier 4.00$can. I think i have a good idea were to buy them next time. Including all taxes and duty and transport I guess it comes around 2.50$ each.

mudbwetdirt

#10 Post by mudbwetdirt »

To update, the melded array with 14 piezos was just too much at 10ft so I cut it down to 8 and it's great. They are killer surround speakers and yes I know I am insane.
They sound so nice and crystal clear I am surprised at how much content I now hear from the surrounds. I think they are a major improvement over the DR150s. The other DR165 is made out of the approved pine as the BB price is now outrageous.

David Robinson

#11 Post by David Robinson »

Mud,

You're not insane. Insane, by my definition, was the father of an old high buddy. He had four Altec A7's, one in each corner of his 25' x 25' study, powered by Phase Linear quadraphonic gear. He had a quad recording of Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun." In-freaking-credible. I for one appreciate your experimentation.

Dave
I'm not a musician, but I play one in a band.

Ron K

#12 Post by Ron K »

LOL I still have 6 A'7s.I reloaded / reported them with EV 15Bs. Never used them in my house though! Thats just nuckin futs!

My one buddy has a few Ubangis lying about awaiting a large truck to a good home! Loaded with Aletcs too! Any takers!
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

T. Sharpe

#13 Post by T. Sharpe »

gitfiddl wrote:Mud,

You're not insane. Insane, by my definition, was the father of an old high buddy. He had four Altec A7's, one in each corner of his 25' x 25' study, powered by Phase Linear quadraphonic gear. He had a quad recording of Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun." In-freaking-credible. I for one appreciate your experimentation.

Dave
I can only imagine! :shock:

Interestingly, Altec-Lansing has resurrected the classic A7 'Voice of the Theatre'! You can get them through their website only, though. (http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?f ... uct_id=105)
Sooo... who has ~$24 grand laying around that they can lend me? (they are only $5800 each nowdays!) :o

I'm thinking that a nice set of DR's like mudbwetdirt's would work just as fine for a whole lot less $$...

I've got Billy Thorpe's entire CD "Children of the Sun"... and it sounds incredible on my 7.1 surround system (set at Neo6 settings) using David mains, a double MTM array center channel, and 4 dipole rear surrounds that I currently have set up- easilly reaching 120db levels... :twisted:
T.S.

David Robinson

#14 Post by David Robinson »

I don't know what it sounds like in 7.1, but in the quad encoding (albeit with a little chemical/pharmaceutical nudging 8) ) , the ships flew through you,, then around you! The drum fills...like you were right above the kick pedal!
I'm not a musician, but I play one in a band.

dave d

Re: Mostly Melded Array Review HT-DR165

#15 Post by dave d »

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I'm curious why they are called the DR165? Thanks!