DR-200-250 A/B

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Jujuman

#76 Post by Jujuman »

Thanks Tim

Hum & Strum

#77 Post by Hum & Strum »

Tim, interesting late night reading! Thank you for getting it started!

Tim, you and others in this post have mentioned how great two DR 200's, matched up with only one T39, work out as a clear, loud, and reasonably light and compact PA system. Do you use the passive crossover in the T39
and hook all three cabs up in series (2.6 ohms) when you use this combo?

Out of curiosity, what model T39 (what width T39 and driver) do you match up with your two DR200's for PA use with your band? I'm hoping it's the 14" 45 pound version! Thanks in advance for your reply. Planning my next sawdust vacation when the kids and wife are off to Cape Cod for a weekend this Spring!

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#78 Post by Harley »

Nordskov wrote:Ok I'll shut it then :wink:

But this calls for a bass shootout comparing O, OT and DR, 4- and 5-string.
That would make me drewl instead of sweating :D
Once I move into our new digs in Jan and get the old garage bowled and build a new 4 car one ( cars and The War Office will be banned from entering of course 8) ) then will begin my re-stock of demo cabs of which will be;

O10
O12
O15
OT12
OT15
DR250

....and some will be subbed by my T39's 24" wide with 2 x BP102

That ought to let my new neighbours know I've arrived! :twisted: 8)
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Harley

#79 Post by Harley »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:...Just ask Harley when he get's back home, he has them all.
Not the OT's - and I've sold most my demo stuff so it will be a re-stock.

I still have one O10, 2 x O10.5, an old DR250 ( Beta10), a old T24 ( BP102 ) but some are stored 90 miles away, once I get into our new house, things will start humming and I'll start testing.:roll:

Oh - I've got plenty of 4 and 5 str basses and hopefully will sneak another through the door without the War Office noticing soon - may enlist Leland's help to get it shipped over.

Harley

#80 Post by Harley »

Tim Ard wrote:...Ask yourself this: Does a listening test performed by two guys using recorded music outweigh the proven, real-world use of all the bassists on this forum?
I asked myself this and the answer......"depends on how much Vodka has been consumed by the bass player before the question has been put forward!"

But naturally, there's the old addage "Bass players just know" :lol: :lol:

Harley

#81 Post by Harley »

James R wrote:Harley still on his walkabout?
Wish I was......landed here last week for the beginning of my retirement, volunteered to help out the guy who bought my business and now I'm clocking up 10 hour days!!!!

The War Office sells our house whilst I was on walkabout, we shift to a new one in January and now I'm busier than a dunny door banging in a hurricane - go figure!!! :shock:

Harley

ps - Oh I get a call from the manager of a covers band that has 3 n.a.w. gigs saying their bass player is away for Jan, could I please fill in...no rest for the righteous!

Tim A

#82 Post by Tim A »

Hum & Strum wrote:...Do you use the passive crossover in the T39
and hook all three cabs up in series (2.6 ohms) when you use this combo?

Out of curiosity, what model T39 (what width T39 and driver) do you match up with your two DR200's for PA use with your band? I'm hoping it's the 14" 45 pound version! Thanks in advance for your reply. Planning my next sawdust vacation when the kids and wife are off to Cape Cod for a weekend this Spring!
Active crossover. It could be done with the passive, but it wouldn't be nearly as good. Yes, PA use. The Titan is 22" wide, single 12LF. It weighs around 74lbs., but it's easy to move and load. I'm going to start a pair of 14" BP102 loaded soon. The system will be that much better and well worth it. Figure total pack space is only 6" wider.

fender3x

#83 Post by fender3x »

**Bass guitar question** (perhaps a stupid one...)

If there is going to be a bass guitar comparison...

...how would a pair of DR200s do? I have been wondering this since I learned that, while a single OT12 is not really suitable for bass guitar an OT12x2 is a good, low power option... Ever since I have been wondering if the same might be true for a pair of DR200s....

Harley

#84 Post by Harley »

fender3x wrote:**Bass guitar question** (perhaps a stupid one...) If there is going to be a bass guitar comparison...
By that I gather you mean that various cabs will be tried out using a common bass and amp for each?

Just in case you haven't noticed, bass players are the most fastidious people known to a group/band/orchestra regarding tone and the quality thereof. Although you'd get the general thumbs up when a rich tone is achieved when heard by a group of bassists, there would probably be as many opinions on the quality of tone of various cabs as there would be bass players evaluating it.

Case in point - I am as happy as a pig in poop grabbing my O10 an d O10.5 ( easy to carry etc ) and using that as even a back-line for my 5str. It does the business well as far as I'm concerned. Yes, A DR250 and T39 ( which I also have ) would sound a bit better, but the O10 is no slouch.

Now, talking with a bass player in the USA who used that combination and also the bass player who used my rig when I was away, they complained about "too thin, hard to hear over the rest of the group, no bottom etc.

So go figure that one out.

I asked them both what the audience thought and they had not asked them, they just cited it was what THEY were thinking about the sound.

I based my happiness with the O10's MORE on what the sound desk guy had told me and the compliments I had received from 'the great unwashed' ( audience ) who said my rig sounded the best they'd heard in a long time!

So testing the various cabs on elect bass would require some protocol to be devised well before the tests began so that the results would be subjective.

Perhaps we need to build a full range of ( elect bass ) cabs in the USA and then Bill, Bruce, Frank, myself and all the other BFD bassists can gather in one spot for a week and test 'til our ears bleed.

Don't know if we'd arrive at any sensible consensus but it would be a hell of a lot of fun and a good reason for me to come over again ( and get MY photo with the Hooters girls instead of my son beating me to it )

:lol:

Tim A

#85 Post by Tim A »

There should be some guitarists there as well, since it's commonly known that bassist don't know tone from diddley. Then we can yell things like: "It's too loud" "It's muddy" "I can't hear myself"

Nordskov

#86 Post by Nordskov »

Tim Ard wrote:There should be some guitarists there as well, since it's commonly known that bassist don't know tone from diddley. Then we can yell things like: "It's too loud" "It's muddy" "I can't hear myself"

Tim, when you say "guitarists", you mean the guys on sheila-basses (those with flimsy strings that screams and whine all the time) :lol:

Tim A

#87 Post by Tim A »

Nordskov wrote: Tim, when you say "guitarists", you mean the guys on sheila-basses (those with flimsy strings that screams and whine all the time) :lol:
No, I mean the stars of the show, the up-front guys...the ones all the groupies want.

fender3x

#88 Post by fender3x »

Tim Ard wrote:There should be some guitarists there as well, since it's commonly known that bassist don't know tone from diddley. Then we can yell things like: "It's too loud" "It's muddy" "I can't hear myself"

Tim Ard wrote:No, I mean the stars of the show, the up-front guys...the ones all the groupies want.

Wow! Tim! I am so used to you as a source of good information and advice, it's really kind of a shocker when you go off your meds ;-)

Nordskov

#89 Post by Nordskov »

fender3x wrote:

Tim Ard wrote:No, I mean the stars of the show, the up-front guys...the ones all the groupies want.

Wow! Tim! I am so used to you as a source of good information and advice, it's really kind of a shocker when you go off your meds ;-)
+1

But thats the common mass hysteria amongst those bassists 'in spe'.
If you tell a guy he is a genious long enough, he finally believe so.
And we all tell our guitarists they are genious, don't we?! Just to keep them happy.

Nordskov

#90 Post by Nordskov »

Harley, you express your bias to O10 and O10.5.
What do you think of O15?
Looking at the charts, the topologi of the two are very similar from 100-500Hz, not looking at sensivity.

It is so hard to chose from the variety of different cabs without any tonal guidance.
Of course a solution could be building every cab in the inventory and then pick the favorite one, but that's not an option.
A comparison and thorough description would be highly appreciated.

Nordskov