DR-200-250 A/B

Post your reviews and pictures here.
fender3x

#91 Post by fender3x »

Anyhow...I am guessing that the answer to my question...
fender3x wrote:**Bass guitar question** (perhaps a stupid one...)

...how would a pair of DR200s do? I have been wondering this since I learned that, while a single OT12 is not really suitable for bass guitar an OT12x2 is a good, low power option... Ever since I have been wondering if the same might be true for a pair of DR200s....
...is probably that even if there is enough extension in the low end, there's probably not enough xmax in the Beta 8As?

DJPhatman

#92 Post by DJPhatman »

Tim Ard wrote:There should be some guitarists there as well, since it's commonly known that bassist don't know tone from diddley. Then we can yell things like: "It's too loud" "It's muddy" "I can't hear myself"

:lol:
Tim Ard wrote:No, I mean the stars of the show, the up-front guys...the ones all the groupies want.
Hmmm, star of the show :?: :?:

:shock: Looks like a star to me! :shock:

Especially with the bass player in the background...by his lonesome!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Mark Coward

#93 Post by Mark Coward »

As a guitarist I hate to admit it, but it seems the groupies go after the drummers, they seem to have the biggest......sticks ;-)
Mark Coward

David Robinson

#94 Post by David Robinson »

The worst is when the vocalist says "Play an instrumental" and you see him trot over to the cutie at the bar! :shock: Of course then you know he's gonna be no help whatsoever at the end of the night...
I'm not a musician, but I play one in a band.

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#95 Post by Harley »

Mark Coward wrote:As a guitarist I hate to admit it, but it seems the groupies go after the drummers, they seem to have the biggest......sticks ;-)
Actually it's the bass players - we just keep quiet about it :lol: :lol: ...ummmm that the groupies go after that is - we leave the big stick syndrome to the drummers.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#96 Post by Harley »

Tim Ard wrote:.... since it's commonly known that bassist don't know tone from diddley. ...
Go wash your mouth out :lol: :lol:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

James R

#97 Post by James R »

Tim Ard wrote:
Nordskov wrote: Tim, when you say "guitarists", you mean the guys on sheila-basses (those with flimsy strings that screams and whine all the time) :lol:
No, I mean the stars of the show, the up-front guys...the ones all the groupies want.

Oh tim you mean the soundguy 8)
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

Tim A

#98 Post by Tim A »

DJPhatman wrote: Image

No James, I mean the guitarist.

Look at the picture.

See the guitarist?

See the groupie with the guitarist?? :twisted:

See the bassist, standing in the back, alone? He's smiling because he's trying to make the best of the situation. :?

Do you see the soundman?

Anywhere? :(

'Nuff said! :lol: :wink:

bgavin

#99 Post by bgavin »

Either that, or the guitarist ripped out the seat of his pants, and the nice lady is covering it up until he finishes the tune.

:mrgreen:
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

James R

#100 Post by James R »

No she bumped into the guitarist while fixing a mic for the soundman :lol:
Last edited by James R on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

bgavin

#101 Post by bgavin »

After all the above blarney, let's go back on-topic:

There are a large number of bands here that work with a 12Horn-Tweeter box (typical Peavey) on each side. Voice-only.

Q: What is your take between DR200 and OT112 strictly for no-frils PA boxes like the above?
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

Tim A

#102 Post by Tim A »

Interesting question, let me preface my answer by saying that I've used both of them in exactly that manner several times.

Either-or. They both sound great, the OT12 needed a little more EQ than the 200 as it's a touch midrangy to my ear, but I also suspect strongly after A/Bing the new/old Wedgehorns that the Melded array will have a huge affect on that.

The DR is a tougher build, as we know. The OT is a bit larger and heavier. Either one is going to smoke a 1-12/horn reflex box, and for that matter they'll not pale next the average 1-15/horn.

But when it all comes down to it, The DR200 wins. It's smaller, lighter, and as I stated many time previous in this thread, the absolutely perfect clarity puts it over the top.

I took them to a Christmas party that is attended by about 60-70 people, 15-20 of which are musicians. One guy in particular, the keyboardist from my old 8-piece blues band, commented on how natural they sound. he said: It's just like listening to someone sing unamplified, only louder.

We also ran an acoustic through them that night (for those that have asked) and it was STELLAR! Very exciting to hear that.

Spire

Re: DR-200-250 A/B

#103 Post by Spire »

ive been registered here for a while, just reading and re-reading, ad reading some more, but heres (finally) my first post.

just like to say thanks for doing this comparison, its hard enough trying to figure out which tops to build w/o being able to hear them, reading charts all day just dosnt seem to do it.

only thing im still trying to figure out is how complicated the DR200 is to build REALLY, an "8 of 10" difficulty is up there, but maybe its still do-able.

thanks!

DJPhatman

#104 Post by DJPhatman »

Spire, it is much more doable, just very time consuming! The build process has been changed, making it a little easier to build. But it has many steps, so it is still time consuming.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

chillhuman

#105 Post by chillhuman »

Spire,

I am in the middle of a DR200 build. They are not simple. I spend a lot of time scratching my head, reading that section of the plans, flipping ahead to see how it all fits together, and rereading that section of the plans. I have just finished the horn / baffle part. Based on the plans, it looks like the most difficult part of the build. However, when I set them on a flat surface, they sit flush and tilt just like they ought to. So far I am about 12 hours into it and have just finished milestone 1. I (and this is just me now!) would not attempt to build these cabs without a panel cutting jig and a table saw, however. Even though the plans say it can be done, I think it would take a very skilled craftsman to build DR200's with a circular saw and end up w/ all 10 fingers in the end. <b>However</b>, please don't let me discourage you. Patience, and measuring 3 times, and reading the plans and visualizing before you cut will lead you to success.

I have built the T39 (x2) which sound awesome. The omnitop plans look like the same degree of difficulty and were a build that I could handle for my first really difficult woodworking project.