JACK 2x12 with melded array review.

Post your reviews and pictures here.
CEF

JACK 2x12 with melded array review.

#1 Post by CEF »

The Cab:
This is for all the nervous first time Bill Fitzmaurice JACK cab buyers. We were all one once.
I am coming from a Mesa Power House 1000 or 1200 cab or what ever they called it over here in the UK. When making my decision for a new cab I was looking for something that was clean sounding, didn't promote any one frequency, lighter to lug around, but did not loose any of the presence and power I have become accustomed to being able to call upon. As I couldn't find an alternative speaker cab in the traditional radiator cab field that did what I wanted and hadn't heard before. I sort out pasture different.
The two heads used for the test/review were a Mesa 400+ and an 1000 watt Orange Terror bass head. The basses are tuned to BEAD and the EUB is in drop D and multiple FX pedals.
I have previously had a sound guy friend of mine help me set up my graphics and heads to make them sound good with the mesa cab. So I was already very happy with where the graphic eq's sat before I started the session.
This cab EQ's up very differently compared to the radiated style cabs doesn't it? Or that is how it appeared me. I decided to keep the original EQ settings just to see what the difference between the two sounds would be. The JACK cab is very reminiscent of a PA system where you tell the speakers what they are going to be doing. It was very much like I had to take the WAL bass filter approach to EQing, Rolling off certain frequencies to allow the others to push through. Unlike what appears to be the normal EQing option of. "Promote all and push all the bands into some kind of mushy frequency soup and wonder why I don't sound like so and so.
Luckily Both my heads either have a graphic EQ in them or I run one through the fx send & return so all I have to do is twiddle the bass, mid and treble dials on the front to get the sound I am looking for. Looks like I will be having two settings, one for the JACK and one for everyone else's cabs when gear share happens.
Everyone I spoke to on here that said not to worry about having an attenuator fitted to control the melded array was right. I did have one fitted, (my safety feature just incase I ended up thinking I had brought an expensive door stop and couldn't make this cab work for me). I needn't have worried in the end as it ended up being very controllable.
When I started my trial session I went directly into the heads and was surprised by the perceived amount bass I had to add, the mid and the treble I ended up cutting to get the sound I was looking for. I think I put the attenuator in almost every position to see what worked best. Once happy I hooked up my proper live set up to find everything and all my FX pedals sounded horrible. SO I returned the melded array to its full and rightful upright position and the cab came life again with all fx sounding as they should. It really is all about the EQing of the signal going to the cab, really.
This would have to be the most evenly responsive, articulate bass cab I have ever played and fills the room with bass in a different way to how other bass cabs I have previously used, fill a room.
Hope you all know what I mean when I say you can normally hear the bass but can't find it because its unfocused and everywhere.
For me this JACK cab has focus and definition to be able to pinpoint its source, almost like you can hear where the sign wave finishes as it drops before it comes back up. Yet is still everywhere.
I play in B and have never been able to let an all B chord (octaves) ring out and hear all the individual notes clearly without it mushing up on me. Very much like having your own natural octave pedal without the tracking issues.
It even, evened out/sorted out the sometimes peaky electric upright bass I play to a nice even presence and feel. The only time this cab boomed on me was when the graphic I run through the Orange Terror bass head wasn't cut enough at the lowest frequency band on the 10 bander I use. The Mesa 400+'s graphic is already cut off at 40hz for your usability.
I don't feel I have lost anything sound and presence wise when changing between the two styles of cabs. But there is a difference in sound. I think it is one of clarity of sound rather than anything else. You do hear everything and that is up to you, the owner how much you want heard and if you want it heard at all.
I still can't get over how powerful it is for its weight. I went the non neo speaker route and my back, my car and my rehearsal/gig fuel consumption still can't get over it. The only things I would do differently, if I do this again is probably try a Jack 15 (for curiosities sake) and build the cab myself. The only reason I paid someone to build the JACK for me this time is because I don't have the time or appropriate tools to do the standard of I job required for the use it will get in my current band.
Got any questions don't hesitate to ask. Peace.

Tom Smit

Re: JACK 2x12 with melded array review.

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

That is a "Large" review to read but, it is quite thorough and honest. Thank you.
Enjoy.
TomS

CEF

#3 Post by CEF »

Thank you Tom Smit. I did think "that's large" once I was finished writing it. But then I thought as there wasn't a review like that when I ordered mine. I thought I might be able to help others by being thorough and honest. I am very pleased I hit the sort of mark I was after.
The only issues I have got now is. What is next on my BFM cab list and how do I go back to using other cabs now I have used a JACK and have this awesome sound.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Oh oh, you been bit! :twisted: Better order the CD of plans.
TomS

CEF

#5 Post by CEF »

If there was a vampire and a victim emoji available I would have used that.