Funky Town Sound System

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Boyd

Re: Funky Town Sound System

#16 Post by Boyd »

Also, don't be afraid to play around with toe-in for the tops. I find I often get better results with a decent amount of toe-in.

Try imagining you're in a hall, and aiming the tops at what would be the diagonally opposite corner.
Built:

2x Titan 48 18" wide 3012LF loaded
2x Otop 12 J-Array 3012HO Melded

Building:

2x Titan 48 36" 3015LF

Levi

#17 Post by Levi »

Here is an updated layout for 2017. We were unable to stack the last set of OmniTop 2x12s because of the height of the stack mixed with the 30-60mph wind factor at Burning Man. Our plan for next year is to build a proper trellis that will hold the top 12s in a line array above the subs and more toward the center.

This year our bass was very directional and could be heard at 1/2-3/4 of a mile away clearly. The tops however did not reach travel as far when put upright in the line array, but the dance floor was full sounding however.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone who chimed in. We had an amazing year and may compliments on the clarity of the sound.

Levi
Attachments
funkytown2.jpg
Funky Town BRC Sound System

6 x Omni-Top (2 x 3012HO)
12 x Tuba 60s
2 x Crown XLS5000
1 x Crown XTi4002
dBX Drive Rack PA2+

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Many factors involved in what you hear a long way off. In my case, I run sound in a park that has a body of water a little ways out front. People say they can hear the vocals a quarter of a mile away perfectly, but the bass disappears rather quickly.

But, I'm sure that behind the stage you can hear the bass all the way up the hill behind it, but not the tops.

I wouldn't worry too much about hearing the tops a half mile away.....cuz if you could, you'd be killing the people up close.

And don't worry about having to bring a set of speakers down lower to keep everyone safe. It's a party, I doubt anyone will be complaining of comb-filtering at 2am listening through alcohol-soaked eardrums. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

88h88

#19 Post by 88h88 »

Levi wrote:30-60mph wind

The tops however did not reach travel as far when put upright in the line array

Any suggestions?

Levi
Sound is vibrations in air, if you've got 30-60mph wind you're gonna kill an awful lot of those vibrations is my guess.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

DJPhatman

#20 Post by DJPhatman »

Levi wrote:We were unable to stack the last set of OmniTop 2x12s because of the height of the stack mixed with the 30-60mph wind...
Why weren't the OTops strapped down? Also, toe them in, not out. I can't really tell from the picture you posted, but it looks like you have a melded array in each cab, with a cross-fired melded in the one by itself. Next time, move the T60(?) from under the stack of OTops, slide them in the middle, 2 high, and place the melded array cab in its place. Put a small "spacer" at the rear of cab 2 to cab 3, to point the top cab downward slightly. Strap the OTops down with ratchet straps, as it's cheap insurance against the OTops from coming down. Toe the cabs in about 15 degrees and run in mono.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Levi

#21 Post by Levi »

Sorry the picture I posted was too dark for detail. You can see that the speakers are ratchet strapped to the T60s below, but for safety sake we didn't go any higher. Our plan is to build a trestle for 2018 and try to hang our OT12s instead.

@ Your suggestion to stack in the middle instead of the sides contradicts what was said by others in this thread. Is another method of stacking? Stacking in the center would definitely affect the esthetics (and view of the DJs) of the set up. How things look is part of the artistic side of our natural DIY camp (as you can tell from the speakers) so we have to weigh quality of sound with esthetics as well. Everything sounded pretty amazing this year so moving to the center without a substantial gain in bass wouldn't be an advantage to our look and feel of the camp.

http://levi.etn.fm/images/funky_town_2.jpg
http://levi.etn.fm/images/funky_town_panoramic.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dg-NOB923S4/maxresdefault.jpg
Funky Town BRC Sound System

6 x Omni-Top (2 x 3012HO)
12 x Tuba 60s
2 x Crown XLS5000
1 x Crown XTi4002
dBX Drive Rack PA2+

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#22 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There's no issue with the subs placed like that. It will cause a reduction in the horizontal dispersion, but as the array looks to be some 25 feet wide that means above roughly 50Hz it will still be at about 180 degrees, and at 80Hz at least 120 degrees.
However, having the lowermost tops not on the same vertical plane as the top two would cause cancellations. You should avoid doing that.