Table Tuba powering

Post your reviews and pictures here.
LelandCrooks

Table Tuba powering

#1 Post by LelandCrooks »

I was at Doug Hart's new house last week. Went down to help him with an install. His living room is the size of a 2 car garage almost exactly. He has a table tuba MCM loaded running off a LEPAI! amplifier. I believe these things are 10w into 4 ohms. So his is seeing at most 5w, probably less. as the gain is at about 60%. It pounds the hell out of that room. After hearing his, I'm thinking the bash and all the other big power amplifiers are pointless. The table tuba is a great subwoofer.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Table Tuba powering

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The advantage to plate amps is built in LP filters and phase/polarity controls. They need not be large. Mine is 100w, and needless to say I never approach its limits.

AcousticScience

#3 Post by AcousticScience »

I definitely believe you could get a decent listening volume out of a Lepai on a corner loaded Table Tuba. I tried one of my bass reflex subs off a lepai amp and an acoustic solutions amp in a corner and it definitely got danceable. Nothing like the Peavey IPR1600 on full blast as in my youtube videos but still enough to clean even with a noisy vacuum cleaner. The table Tuba probably goes lower than my subwoofers with similar sensitivity. It's probably more than the average "turn it up a bit" user would make use of. Nothing like the full power though to really get the place shaking!

If you think about it, a 15 watt amp goes "half as loud" as the full power 150 watt amp and "half volume" is still quite loud on a lot of sound systems. "1/4 volume" is then about 1.5 watts and is probably still enough to be a reasonable "do a bit of cleaning" level. The clean bass of a good horn subwoofer is addictive though so I'd still recommend people use high power drivers in there for longevity, especially the young 'uns like me.

Stratispho

#4 Post by Stratispho »

I run a modified table tuba long style with an MCM 8" powered off of a 100w plate amp and it shakes the windows with the gain at 50%. I plan on building another just to cancel out some of the dead spots but it's more than enough bass for most things. Eventually will build and swap out for a THT to get the lower frequencies in movies.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
9 driver Curved SLA center channel
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears
Table Tuba w/ MCM 55-2421

ddegelau

#5 Post by ddegelau »

My 10" Dayton 22" wide TT runs off a lepai. More than loud enough in a 14x22 room.