First public use of my w 8 & w 10 monitors

Post your reviews and pictures here.
heavybdrums

First public use of my w 8 & w 10 monitors

#1 Post by heavybdrums »

The town of Blacksburg, Va. has a street fair/festival on the first weekend of august every year. In combination with the outdoor stages, some of the local pubs/bars have bands after the outdoor stages shut down at about 10 pm. A friend of mine, who sometimes does sound for one of these bars, invited me to take over sound equipment providing services since most of his gear is out of town and some not serviceable ( besides being an annoying sound noob).
My job here was to provide speakers and amps, cables and everything besides the main board. The band (Not Shakespeare) does 80's covers and like original songs, and was quite popular in that era. This was a reunion show which many local and since moved away fans ( It's a college town) were looking forward to...and many people showed for the event. This band has always been known for uncompromising sound quality and wanted to use a friend of theirs who has done sound for them many times to manage their mix, so my job was to bring ( carry down 2 flights of stairs..lol) and set up the pa, leaving the end of the stage snake for him to plug into his board. Along with other ordinary mains, I brought my 2 x w8's and 1 x w 10 and 2x JBL G731 monitors. The band was very happy with the on stage sound and the audience seemed happy with the FOH sound. Several of my friends who know, through my FB posting, that I am gearing up to do sound services, complemented on the room's sound as "the best sound I've heard in here".
As an odd sidenote, the guy running the sound board's regular job is running the sound system for the Supreme Court...who knew, I mean I guess I just didn't think of them as a job for a sound guy. The gig was great fun and just another reminder of why I am on this path of providing pa gear and sound services. I also made a new contact of the bar owner, who told me some punk DJ blew up all his house speakers (Yamaha c115v pair which I had once borrowed to do sound for another band) and needed to find out how he could repair them. I promptly told him I would repair them for him at cost ( since he and I are both nice guys..lol) and made fast friends. This is particularly important to me because his venue is one of the best for bands in that town as far as the room and it's stage set up, and know they are looking for a house sound guy with his own gear. It is however in the basement and requires carrying equipment down 2 flights of stairs...so today I went to Harbor Freight and bought a big wheel hand truck for only $45 with a 700lb weight capacity..something I had intended on doing in the future anyhow.

It has 11&1/2" wheels to easily go up stairs, and is shiny and blue!!

Oh and a pic of my desk for giggles:
Last edited by heavybdrums on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

Bruce Weldy

Re: First public use of my w 8 & w 10 monitors

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

heavybdrums wrote:The town of Blacksburg, Va. has a street fair/festival on the first weekend of august every year. In combination with the outdoor stages, some of the local pubs/bars have bands after the outdoor stages shut down at about 10 pm. A friend of mine, who sometimes does sound for one of these bars, invited me to take over sound equipment providing services since most of his gear is out of town and some not serviceable ( besides being an annoying sound noob). My job here was to provide speakers and amps, cables and everything besides the main board. The band (Not Shakespeare) does 80's covers and like original songs, and was quite popular in that era. This was a reunion show which many local and since moved away fans ( It's a college town) were looking forward to...and many people showed for the event. This band has always been known for uncompromising sound quality and wanted to use a friend of theirs who has done sound for them many times to manage their mix, so my job was to bring ( carry down 2 flights of stairs..lol) and set up the pa, leaving the end of the stage snake for him to plug into his board. Along with other ordinary mains, I brought my 2 x w8's and 1 x w 10 and 2x JBL G731 monitors. The band was very happy with the on stage sound and the audience seemed happy with the FOH sound. Several of my friends who know, through my FB posting, that I am gearing up to do sound services, complemented on the room's sound as "the best sound I've heard in here". As an odd sidenote, the guy running the sound board's regular job is running the sound system for the Supreme Court...who knew, I mean I guess I just didn't think of them as a job for a sound guy. The gig was great fun and just another reminder of why I am on this path of providing pa gear and sound services. I also made a new contact of the bar owner, who told me some punk DJ blew up all his house speakers (Yamaha c115v pair which I had once borrowed to do sound for another band) and needed to find out how he could repair them. I promptly told him I would repair them for him at cost ( since he and I are both nice guys..lol) and made fast friends. This is particularly important to me because his venue is one of the best for bands in that town as far as the room and it's stage set up, and know they are looking for a house sound guy with his own gear. It is however in the basement and requires carrying equipment down 2 flights of stairs...so today I went to Harbor Freight and bought a big wheel hand truck for only $45 with a 700lb weight capacity..something I had intended on doing in the future anyhow.

Paragraphs - please! :shock:

My eyeballs can't take it.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

Re: First public use of my w 8 & w 10 monitors

#3 Post by heavybdrums »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
heavybdrums wrote:The town of Blacksburg, Va. has a street fair/festival on the first weekend of august every year. In combination with the outdoor stages, some of the local pubs/bars have bands after the outdoor stages shut down at about 10 pm. A friend of mine, who sometimes does sound for one of these bars, invited me to take over sound equipment providing services since most of his gear is out of town and some not serviceable ( besides being an annoying sound noob). My job here was to provide speakers and amps, cables and everything besides the main board. The band (Not Shakespeare) does 80's covers and like original songs, and was quite popular in that era. This was a reunion show which many local and since moved away fans ( It's a college town) were looking forward to...and many people showed for the event. This band has always been known for uncompromising sound quality and wanted to use a friend of theirs who has done sound for them many times to manage their mix, so my job was to bring ( carry down 2 flights of stairs..lol) and set up the pa, leaving the end of the stage snake for him to plug into his board. Along with other ordinary mains, I brought my 2 x w8's and 1 x w 10 and 2x JBL G731 monitors. The band was very happy with the on stage sound and the audience seemed happy with the FOH sound. Several of my friends who know, through my FB posting, that I am gearing up to do sound services, complemented on the room's sound as "the best sound I've heard in here". As an odd sidenote, the guy running the sound board's regular job is running the sound system for the Supreme Court...who knew, I mean I guess I just didn't think of them as a job for a sound guy. The gig was great fun and just another reminder of why I am on this path of providing pa gear and sound services. I also made a new contact of the bar owner, who told me some punk DJ blew up all his house speakers (Yamaha c115v pair which I had once borrowed to do sound for another band) and needed to find out how he could repair them. I promptly told him I would repair them for him at cost ( since he and I are both nice guys..lol) and made fast friends. This is particularly important to me because his venue is one of the best for bands in that town as far as the room and it's stage set up, and know they are looking for a house sound guy with his own gear. It is however in the basement and requires carrying equipment down 2 flights of stairs...so today I went to Harbor Freight and bought a big wheel hand truck for only $45 with a 700lb weight capacity..something I had intended on doing in the future anyhow.

Paragraphs - please! :shock:

My eyeballs can't take it.....
ha ha !! I feel ya..above changed.. not to mention the run on sentences..?
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated