I wish I had the opertunity to silence the critics!

Post your reviews and pictures here.
88h88

Re: I wish I had the opertunity to silence the critics!

#46 Post by 88h88 »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:88, you definitely have a way with words, :-)

It is staggering to see rafts of DJ's, with pride in how much legit material they've got and how much (little or a lot) they've paid for gear and then to have little idea of whether it sounds any good. Me, I just had a hunch what I'd previously heard, PA wise, was not that great, because I'd heard better hi-fi sound quality, even with relatively inexpensive home separates.

The only thing i can suggest is that folks just keep preaching the Bill Fitzmaurice gospel. As the good book says: "But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?"

Truly good news.
The bit in bold is the EXACT reason I started building Bill's cabs. A great sounding venue is truly rare, my local 'big' club is just awful sounding. So I accidentally stumbled on this site, looked the designs over and said to a friend "do you wanna try making these?" he said yes and 9 cabs down the road we're very happy with the sound quality. My aim was to have it sound like a hugely powerful hi-fi setup and it's done that with ease. It's actually surpassed my hi-fi setup in terms of quality and clarity which in some of the rooms it's been played in is massively impressive.

Next event is a week Friday, Moxie is coming to play and she wants "lots of bass" but the thing is we can supply that at silly volumes AND still have it sound amazing across the board.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Titanium Hand

#47 Post by Titanium Hand »

That's bloody fantastic 88H88! All systems go now my friend, I reckon Moxie will be impressed. 8)
Built 2 x T39 Lab 12 loaded 457mm wide, 29inch Wide Dual Lab 12 Loaded T60 and 2 x OTop 112 2512 Melded. Powered by N.I.TRAKTOR Pro 2.6 (2.6.1 has too many issues) TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 Crown XTi2000

hifibob

#48 Post by hifibob »

TimpBizkit wrote:Hmm that Marshall rig is a bit of a mix 'n' match :conf:
As long as it doesn't actually sound like playing the music through a guitar cab....

Anyway less yacking about gear I wanna see some youtube vids of HifiBob's setup!
I'll def make a video once the club is finished.. I need to get a camera that wont make it sound like shit though..

hifibob

#49 Post by hifibob »

by the way Bob, I think you've got the perfect opportunity to silence the critics ......

Your opening night :lol: shame I can't be there, I would have loved to hear the fruits of your hard work!
Thanks Disco! I def have a point to prove now! The PA company that has been storing the old Martin system for the last 2 years thinks it should be on the main dance floor.. Hes got a rude awakening coming :chainsaw:

That would be pretty cool to see some of you guys from the other side of the pond!

erriod

#50 Post by erriod »

Will you be able to do a comparison between the martin system and the new BFM tuba 60 setup? I would be very curious to hear the outcome of a shootout like that.

Stephen

bitSmasher

#51 Post by bitSmasher »

Radian wrote:Marshall badging on Peavey DJ speakers. :roll:
Ahh yep, I instantly thought they're PV215 rebadged. Why am I so familiar with such a box? Because I own one and can't wait to gut it and make a cat playground built around the box - the cats already love using the rat fur as a scratching post, and it'll be a much better use of 20kg of MDF as a cat playground than as a horrible "rawk'n'drawl" speaker.

Charles Jenkinson

#52 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

hifibob wrote: IMO, the best way of doing this is binaural recording mics used with a 9v preamp, plugged into a camera with external mic input.
That, and don't record with the system at war volume. The issue with typical recordings is that the mic can't do anything but distort at the levels being played at.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

sine143

#53 Post by sine143 »

He can always use a seperate mic thats beeen padded
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

byacey

#54 Post by byacey »

Or for the best audio quality, feed the camera a direct line level feed from the mixer. :lol:
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Charles Jenkinson

#55 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

That's wierd. I wrote what hi fi bob is quoted as saying, above. Who wrote what 'I' wrote, i've no idea...
2xT30

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#56 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:That's wierd. I wrote what hi fi bob is quoted as saying, above. Who wrote what 'I' wrote, i've no idea...
Oops. I hit edit instead of quote. :oops:

Charles Jenkinson

#57 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Edit: It was drivel - I've deleted it.

...edit 2: and now the hole is getting deeper. As I've said before, I love Bill.

Now where's the post delete button?, I'm sure I've managed it before.

:lol:
2xT30

MissileCrisis

#58 Post by MissileCrisis »

With my (small) amount of BFM experience all I can say is I won't stop building until I have a full set (of T60's, Dr's, surround sound, Autotuba, etc...). They are that damn good. If anyone has a better system than mine, I am more than eager to compare them side by side :). I haven't heard a system in my city that sounds as good (going to an audiophile Central coast meeting next weeks so I'll report on their "hifi" speakers). 0 DJ's in my area have anything better than a 15'' direct radiator or a pair of ksubs. Let's just say that's another ballpark from the (king) T60.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

DJ Nada

#59 Post by DJ Nada »

I'm not sure if I'm ready to declare my BFM system the best sounding PA ever, but in the same price and portability range, nothing I've heard comes close in clarity. I need some more boxes so I can add SPL to that.

A factor may be that the average BFM user knows a little bit about how to place and run speakers properly. A driverack and proper placement could probably do wonders to the average DJ's setup.

Chris_Allen

#60 Post by Chris_Allen »

DJ Nada wrote:A factor may be that the average BFM user knows a little bit about how to place and run speakers properly. A driverack and proper placement could probably do wonders to the average DJ's setup.
+1. I had no idea!
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10